[net.books] Man-in-the-Rubble ... more SF

rwl@uvacs.UUCP (Ray Lubinsky) (10/09/85)

> In answer to the fellow who asked for an After-The-End anthology.
>
> The after-doomsday theme is one that has been  handled  often  in
> both sci-fi and mainstream literature.

Geez!  If you're going to post this to sf-lovers, too, please don't use
the term ``sci-fi''.  ``SF'' is much nicer.  ``Sci-fi'' brings to mind
Japanese monster flicks.

> Damnation  Alley.   Zelazny  (or  perhaps  Silverberg,  I  forget
> which).  Pretty road-warriorish.

It was Zelazny.  Not particularly at his best.  Never saw the movie they
made out of this.  Anyone seen it and/or liked it?

I didn't see the original article, but if the requester was looking for
stories set after the fall of civilization (not necessarily ours), I'd
recommend:

	``Nightfall'' by Isaac Asimov.  A classic short story
	about a world orbitting multiple suns, forever in daylight,
	where civilization crumbles each epoch in which all of
	the planet's suns are eclipsed simultaneously.

	``A World Out Of Time'' by Larry Niven.  Thrown three
	million years into the future by a relativistic space
	voyage, the hero returns to Earth to find the survivors
	of humanity living among the ruins.
--

Ray Lubinsky		     University of Virginia, Dept. of Computer Science
			     uucp: decvax!mcnc!ncsu!uvacs!rwl

benson@dcdwest.UUCP (Peter Benson) (10/15/85)

Earth Abides by George Stewart is a great man-in-the-rubble
story.  The catastrophe is non-nuclear.  The post-catastrophe
re-building is insightful and interesting.

--
                                _
Peter Benson                    | ITT Defense Communications Division

mdm@ecn-pc.UUCP ( Mike D McEvoy) (10/18/85)

>Let's not forget Nevil Shutes book On the beach.  This was one of the first
>classics of the after the destruction type.  It deals with the situation
>as encountered by an American submarine on duty at the start of the War.
>Both the movie and the book are excellent.
>					Bob...

Arg...  Both the movie and the book may have been good from a literary
standpoint, but from a standpoint of technical accuracy they were a
disaster.  Typical doomie viewpoints that ignored little things like
the short half life of fallout, etc. Even at that time, we had a fairly
good understanding of the true effects of a nuclear war (at least high level
effects of radiation).

Literary license has never been a valid excuse for gross technical/scientific
errors.  No Flame intended to you Bob, it's just that authors who practice
their craft should keep their facts straight - it does a dis-service to
write "hard" science fiction from a position of authority and call it
science fiction.  Fantasy is a much better label.

				Big Mac

cm@unc.UUCP (Chuck Mosher) (10/24/85)

I have not seen mentioned an excellent series of books that came
out fairly recently by Paul O. Williams.  They are about man's
comeback from a nuclear Armegeddon which had pushed the level
of society down to a nomadic tribal culture.  I really enjoyed
them.  The titles are:
	The Breaking of Northwall
	The Ends of the Circle
	The Dome in the Forest
	The Fall of the Shell (my favorite)
	An Ambush of Shadows
	The Song of the Axe (2nd favorite)

I recommend reading them in order.  Although not necessary, it
fleshes out references in subsequent books to create a more
solid feel for the cultural milieu.  They are published by Del Ray.
Enjoy!

					Chuck Mosher
					!decvax!mcnc!unc!cm

clelau@wateng.UUCP (Eric C.L. Lau) (10/26/85)

In article <389@unc.unc.UUCP> cm@unc.UUCP (Chuck Mosher) writes:

>I have not seen mentioned an excellent series of books that came
>out fairly recently by Paul O. Williams.  They are about man's
>comeback from a nuclear Armegeddon which had pushed the level
>of society down to a nomadic tribal culture.  I really enjoyed
>them.  The titles are:
>	The Breaking of Northwall
>	The Ends of the Circle
>	The Dome in the Forest
>	The Fall of the Shell (my favorite)
>	An Ambush of Shadows
>	The Song of the Axe (2nd favorite)
>
>					Chuck Mosher
>					!decvax!mcnc!unc!cm

I've also enjoyed this series called the Pelbar Cycle.  The seventh, and from
the looks of the the last, in the series just appeared in the bookstores up here
in Canada.  It's called _The_Sword_of_Forbearance.  It essentially brings
to a climax all the preceding events and characters.  I wouldn't exactly say
that this is a recent series.  The first book came out about seven years ago
I think, I'm too lazy to check.  All in all it's a good series about the
resurrection of civilization in North America.  The characters are a bit
predictable at times but usually quite interesting.  The main weakness in the
last book is an overabundance of main characters.  If you haven't read any of
the previous books it can get overwhelming but I guess that's true for any
closing or last book in a series.

			Eric Lau
			...!{utcsri|ihnp4}!watmath!wateng!clelau