[net.books] Godel, Escher, Bach

hugo@cmu-cs-gandalf.ARPA (Peter Su) (04/21/85)

I was wondering if anyone knew where to get this book in hardcover.  I
have never seen it in this form, but would like a hardcover edition if
possible. It is a wonderful book, by the way.

Pete

--
---  Peter Su

ARPA: hugo@cmu-cs-gandalf.arpa
UUCP: ???

---

srm@nsc.UUCP (Richard Mateosian) (04/24/85)

In article <262@cmu-cs-gandalf.ARPA> hugo@cmu-cs-gandalf.ARPA (Peter Su) writes:

>I was wondering if anyone knew where to get this book in hardcover.  I
>have never seen it in this form, but would like a hardcover edition if
>possible. It is a wonderful book, by the way.

Try Moe's.
--
Richard Mateosian
{allegra,cbosgd,decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!srm    nsc!srm@decwrl.ARPA

inc@fluke.UUCP (Gary Benson) (04/27/85)

> I was wondering if anyone knew where to get this book in hardcover.  I
> have never seen it in this form, but would like a hardcover edition if
> possible. It is a wonderful book, by the way.
>
> ---  Peter Su
>
> ARPA: hugo@cmu-cs-gandalf.arpa

I'm not certain, but I don't think it was ever published as a hardcover.
When I got my copy, I don't remember ever seeing it that way, at least.

I agree that its the sort of book you'd rather have in hard than soft-bound,
but two years after reading it, I'm not sure I'd agree that it's all that
"wonderful". For one thing, it's harder reading than many college
textbooks, and for another, it struck me that LOTS and LOTS of what he was
trying to say was just a bunch of fluff and trying too hard for effect.

--
Gary Benson * MS 232E John Fluke Mfg Co Inc * POBox C9090 Everett WA USA 98206
-_-_-_-_-_ {ihnp4!uw-beaver} {decvax!microsoft} {allegra} !fluke!inc -_-_-_-_-

hopp@nbs-amrf.UUCP (Ted Hopp) (04/28/85)

> > I was wondering if anyone knew where to get this book in hardcover.  I
> > have never seen it in this form, but would like a hardcover edition if
> > possible. It is a wonderful book, by the way.
> I'm not certain, but I don't think it was ever published as a hardcover.
> When I got my copy, I don't remember ever seeing it that way, at least.

I bought a hardcover version at B. Dalton about a year after it came out.
I don't know if it is still being published in a hardcover edition.

> I agree that its the sort of book you'd rather have in hard than soft-bound,
> but two years after reading it, I'm not sure I'd agree that it's all that
> "wonderful". For one thing, it's harder reading than many college
> textbooks, and for another, it struck me that LOTS and LOTS of what he was
> trying to say was just a bunch of fluff and trying too hard for effect.

I agree.  It is very difficult reading.  (Perhaps that is why it got
such good reviews :-).)  Also, it struck me as being "too cute".  For
instance, too many of the examples of recursion (figures, structure of
a chapter, structure of a sentence, etc.) seemed to be put there so the
reader could get warm fuzzies discovering all the variations, with
apparently no expository or other motivation.

I wouldn't even think of comparing this book to a college text.  (C.S.
text, that is; it may be good "art", although I don't think so.)  There
are way too many holes in the presentation, and the lessons to be drawn
from his material are not stated clearly (if at all).  For instance, I
found the theme of the ambiguity (or was it the definition?) of the term
"intelligence" using the behavior of the ant colony particularly weak.
Is he trying to say that mechanical responses (can) give rise to
intelligent behavior (whatever that is), or that intelligent behavior
IS some set of mechanical responses, or what?  It struck me as an
apology for the field of Artifical Intelligence, which I found slightly
offensive.  Being not entirely naive on the subject, I feel he didn't
make the case (whatever it was).  Not that he was necessarily wrong,
but he sins through overstatement and oversimplification.  (Quite an
assertion on my part given the complexity of his book! :-)) He brings
to mind, through his failure to follow it, the advice I once got on
effective presentations:  always state the weaknesses of your case before
someone else does; it lends you credibility.  To be fair, Hofstadter does
state from time to time that there is a lot about AI that we don't know,
but he doesn't acknowledge that what we do know about intelligence may be
wrong.

Another example of the weakness of his presentation is his explanation
of the value of idealized models of reality.  He points out that ideal
models reveal patterns that might otherwise remain hidden.  What he
completely misses is that most of our knowledge actually comes from
examining the DIFFERENCES between behavior predicted by an idealized
model and actual behavior of a system, not by examining the idealized
model itself.  (This thesis was examined by Herbert Simon in the late
50's and the 60's when he started studying notions of causality.  See
Simon's collection of papers, "Models of Discovery".)  Since Hofstadter's
book is almost entirely an examination of formal (idealized) models,
I find it a poor study of intelligence.

As you may have been able to tell by now, I wasn't exactly thrilled
with G.E.B.  It was difficult reading, didn't hang together (self-
reference is too broad a theme for his book the way he wrote it), and
was technically inaccurate (principally through omission).  It was
entertaining in many places, but it was too much like reading flawed
"pop science" ("Gee!  We can do this, too....") to have been actually
enjoyable.
--

Ted Hopp	{seismo,umcp-cs}!nbs-amrf!hopp

cas@cvl.UUCP (Cliff Shaffer) (04/28/85)

On the contrary, GEB definately WAS published as a hard-back.  My
father has a copy.  I have only seen it in paper recently, though.
	Cliff Shaffer
	...!rlgvax!cvl!cas

rl@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Robert Langridge%CGL) (04/29/85)

<---
>> I was wondering if anyone knew where to get this book in hardcover.
>>
>I'm not certain, but I don't think it was ever published as a hardcover.

My hardcover copy is dated 1979, published by Basic Books, NY at $18.50.
Look up Books in Print in your local library or bookstore to see whether it
is still available.

Mandatory mini-review:  There are enough gems in GEB to justify wading through
a lot of verbiage.  I initially thought that what it needed most was a good
editor, to cut it to about 1/2 to 2/3 the present length.  On rereading from
time to time I find enough of interest in the parts I thought should have been
eliminated to convince me that I was wrong, and that one must get used to
Hofstadter's style.

Anyone read his new book?

Bob Langridge				(UUCP: [...]!ucbvax!ucsfcgl!rl)
Computer Graphics Laboratory		(ARPA: rl@ucbvax
926 Medical Sciences			          or
University of California		       langridge@sumex-aim)
San Francisco
CA  94143				(Phone: +1 415 666 2630)

muffy@lll-crg.ARPA (Muffy Barkocy) (04/29/85)

<comment by Ted Hopp that he could not see GEB being used as a textbook>.

At San Francisco State University, it was indeed used as a textbook this
semester.  I am not sure which class, but I believe the topic was concepts
of Artificial Intelligence.

				  Muffy

jsgray@watmath.UUCP (Jan Gray) (04/29/85)

This wonderful book *was* published in hardcover (I have a copy).  The
publisher was Basic Books.  [Every once in a while, BTW, UW offers
a philosophy course on GEB...]

Jan Gray (jsgray@watmath.UUCP)   University of Waterloo   (519) 885-1211 x3870

sjs@u1100s.UUCP (Stan Switzer) (04/29/85)

In article <582@tpvax.fluke.UUCP> inc@fluke.UUCP (Gary Benson) writes:
> > I was wondering if anyone knew where to get this book in hardcover.  I
> > have never seen it in this form, but would like a hardcover edition if
> > possible. It is a wonderful book, by the way.
> >
> > ---  Peter Su
>
> I'm not certain, but I don't think it was ever published as a hardcover.
> When I got my copy, I don't remember ever seeing it that way, at least.
>
> I agree that its the sort of book you'd rather have in hard than soft-bound,
> but two years after reading it, I'm not sure I'd agree that it's all that
> "wonderful". For one thing, it's harder reading than many college
> textbooks, and for another, it struck me that LOTS and LOTS of what he was
> trying to say was just a bunch of fluff and trying too hard for effect.
>
> -- Gary Benson

GEB was, indeed, published in hardcover.  My copy was, at least.
I liked it as I was reading it, but it was later that I became annoyed
with it.  Maybe it was the endless and pointless Scientific American
"Metamagical Themas" column; maybe it was the slew of Eastern-Philosophy/
Quantum-Physics books that began to fill the bookstores; maybe it was
the fact that the book was too clever (a whole chapter whose only point
was to lead up to a pun "All in one swell floop").

Unfortunately, if the book had any fatal flaw, it was not that it was too
difficult, it was that it was too "popular."  In particular, I truly wish
that after having read this tome I would have really understood Godel's
Incompleteness Theorem.  It just wasn't there (but read Raymond Smullian's
"The Lady and the Tiger").  The book just didn't get deep enough into
formal systems to properly deal with Incompleteness.

What it lacked in depth, however, it made up for in breadth.  However,
I know biologists who are not too impressed with the book's Biology, and
mathematicians not to impressed with its Mathemetics.  The Philosophy,
well, that's a topic to itself.

The Philosophy in GEB could only have arisen in California.  Just as with
the Incompleteness Theorem, the Zen is not presented well.  I mean,
analyzing Zen is the paradigm of futility.  While I have no
personal antipathy toward eastern philosophy, and in fact am rather
inclined toward Taoism, this silly approach to Zen really bugs me.
To Hofstader, the main attraction of Zen is that the koans are
just SO clever.

Yes, there was a lot of fluff, and yes, too much was for just for effect.
On the positive side, however, I really enjoyed some of the cleverness.
Look in the annotated bibliography under "Gebstadter."  The entry goes
something like this:

	Gebstatder, Egbert B., "Copper, Silver, and Gold: an Indestructable
	  Metallic Alloy," Acidic Books:

	  A formidable hodgepodge: turgid and confused, yet remarkably
	  similar to the present work....

Clever, yes, but too true.

By the way, I have never actually met anyone else (face-to-face) who
has really read GEB cover-to-cover (and is willing to admit it).

Stan Switzer     | "A good book is hard to find, and a hard book
ihnp4!u1100s!sjs |  is good to find." -- Mae West, sort-of.

avolio@decuac.UUCP (Frederick M. Avolio) (04/29/85)

   Lots of people *do* like the book.  And it *did* win *the prize*.
So, it must be good, eh?  By the way, it was used as a text -- at
least the year before publication it was -- at Indiana U (the Hoosiers
not the one in Pennsylvania!).  Darned if I can remember the name of
the course, though I took it way back when...).
--
Fred Avolio      {decvax,seismo}!decuac!avolio      301/731-4100 x4227

liang@cvl.UUCP (Eli Liang) (04/30/85)

> <comment by Ted Hopp that he could not see GEB being used as a textbook>.
>
> At San Francisco State University, it was indeed used as a textbook this
> semester.  I am not sure which class, but I believe the topic was concepts
> of Artificial Intelligence.
>
> 				  Muffy

you're joking...  GEB, used as an AI textbook?  Why?  To prove Hofstadter
is really just a computer program like Rachter?

-eli

Eli Liang  ---
        University of Maryland Computer Vision Lab, (301) 454-4526
        ARPA: liang@cvl, liang@lemuria, eli@mit-mc, eli@mit-prep
        CSNET: liang@cvl  UUCP: {seismo,allegra,brl-bmd}!umcp-cs!cvl!liang

paul@umich.UUCP (Paul Killey) (04/30/85)

> it struck me that LOTS and LOTS of what he was
> trying to say was just a bunch of fluff and trying too hard for effect.

You said it ... that book could have been a few hundred pages shorter.
I could never really see what its appeal was, myself.

paul@umich.UUCP (Paul Killey) (04/30/85)

> [Every once in a while, BTW, UW offers a philosophy course on GEB...]

What!!!!!????  Well, Bach and Escher were among the leading philosophers
of their respective times, I guess.  What is in that book??

Or, does UW offer a class that covers the ideas expressed in the book by
the author?

rose@sdcsvax.UUCP (Daniel Rose) (04/30/85)

>I'm not certain, but I don't think it was ever published as a hardcover.
>When I got my copy, I don't remember ever seeing it that way, at least.

It definitely was published in hardcover.  I know, because when
I got my copy (late 1980) it was _only_ available in hardcover.
Everyone I knew who had it, had it in hardcover.

>...two years after reading it, I'm not sure I'd agree that it's all that
>"wonderful". For one thing, it's harder reading than many college
>textbooks, and for another, it struck me that LOTS and LOTS of what he was
>trying to say was just a bunch of fluff and trying too hard for effect.

While some parts were certainly difficult, others were fun, thought-
provoking, and often entertaining.  I especially liked the anecdotes
about Ramanujan (sp?), Turing, etc.  As far as it being fluff, I've
heard this criticism from both philosophers and CS people (I was an
undergrad phil. major), and it seems to me that people who feel this
way are taking Hofstadter more seriously than he himself intended.
I've heard him speak, as well as reading some of his other articles,
and I've come to the conclusion that he was not trying to prove
anything with GEB; he was just sharing some of his favorite interests
with people.  While I have my own criticisms of the book, I think it
achieves this goal admirably.

Dan Rose
sdcsvax!rose

colonel@gloria.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) (04/30/85)

> > I was wondering if anyone knew where to get this book in hardcover.  I
> > have never seen it in this form, but would like a hardcover edition if
> > possible. It is a wonderful book, by the way.
> >
> I'm not certain, but I don't think it was ever published as a hardcover.
> When I got my copy, I don't remember ever seeing it that way, at least.

Well, I've seen it in boards.  I think Vintage originally published it
that way.  Why not check _Books in Print?_

	"It seems to be badly out of order.  It makes pointless
	excursions into nonsense at least half the time.  If it
	belonged to me, I would give it away immediately to
	someone like you, Crab.  But of course it doesn't belong
	to me."
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel

training@rtech.ARPA (Training account) (04/30/85)

> > I was wondering if anyone knew where to get this book in hardcover.  I
> > have never seen it in this form, but would like a hardcover edition if
> > possible. It is a wonderful book, by the way.

> I'm not certain, but I don't think it was ever published as a hardcover.
> When I got my copy, I don't remember ever seeing it that way, at least.

It WAS published in hardcover, by Basic Books.  You can probably
get a copy at any good used book store, or by writing to Basic Books.
(I think they're located in New York).

Robert Orenstein
Relational Technology

wjr@x.UUCP (Bill Richard) (05/01/85)

[]

> I'm not certain, but I don't think it was ever published as a hardcover.
> When I got my copy, I don't remember ever seeing it that way, at least.
> Gary Benson * MS 232E John Fluke Mfg Co Inc * POBox C9090 Everett WA USA 98206
> -_-_-_-_-_ {ihnp4!uw-beaver} {decvax!microsoft} {allegra} !fluke!inc -_-_-_-_-

The first edition I saw was definitely a hardcover. The trade
paperback came out later (>= 6 mo. maybe). I don't know where to find
a hardcover edition today though, sorry.
--
----
William J. Richard @ Charles River Data Systems

srm@nsc.UUCP (Richard Mateosian) (05/01/85)

In article <582@tpvax.fluke.UUCP> inc@fluke.UUCP (Gary Benson) writes:

>I'm not certain, but I don't think it was ever published as a hardcover.

I have it in hardcover, purchased 6/22/79.
--
Richard Mateosian
{allegra,cbosgd,decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!srm    nsc!srm@decwrl.ARPA

schaefer@bgsuvax.UUCP (Stephen Schaefer) (05/01/85)

[SOME SITES STILL DO HAVE THE LINE EATER BUG!!!!!!]

I was given my copy of GEB in the late fall of '80, and hardcover was all that
existed.  At the time, I was wishing for a paper edition, since I couldn't
afford the $15+. (I finally convinced my parents to get me an early Xmas
present.)  It's a nostalgia book for me.  Holmes [by Doyle!] also remains fun.

benson@dcdwest.UUCP (Peter Benson) (05/01/85)

(I am not sure I want to get into this discussion, but here
goes ...)

GEB is cute and turgid and funny.  I did read it cover to
cover BUT I did not understand everything I read.  If I had
demanded that of myself I would not have finished.  I am not a
formal systems heavy-weight or a biologist or a philosopher,
so I can't judge the worth of the book in those domains.
Inter-disciplinary work is hard to do in such a way that
purists accept it.  So be it.  Hofstadter brings together a
lot of stuff I had thought about for years.  Better than that
he thought about it better than I have.  I liked the book
and I am looking for an attractive woman who also read it
so we can get together and talk about it.

So there.

--
                                _
Peter Benson                    | ITT Defense Communications Division

myers@uwmacc.UUCP (Jeff Myers) (05/01/85)

> Unfortunately, if the book had any fatal flaw, it was not that it was too
> difficult, it was that it was too "popular."  In particular, I truly wish
> that after having read this tome I would have really understood Godel's
> Incompleteness Theorem.  It just wasn't there (but read Raymond Smullian's
> "The Lady and the Tiger").  The book just didn't get deep enough into
> formal systems to properly deal with Incompleteness.
>
> By the way, I have never actually met anyone else (face-to-face) who
> has really read GEB cover-to-cover (and is willing to admit it).
>
> Stan Switzer

They are difficult to find.  I like GEB, and I also like the presentation
of the Incompleteness Theorem.  I found his way of attacking something fairly
difficult to explain rather fruitful.  It definately helped that I had majored
in Math, tho.

jeff m

inc@fluke.UUCP (Gary Benson) (05/02/85)

>    Lots of people *do* like the book.  And it *did* win *the prize*.
> So, it must be good, eh?  By the way, it was used as a text -- at
> least the year before publication it was -- at Indiana U (the Hoosiers).
>
> Fred Avolio      {decvax,seismo}!decuac!avolio      301/731-4100 x4227

*** REMESS THIS AGE WITH LINES ***

Pardon', Messieur, but just because something wins a prize is no indicator
of its merit. After all, they gave John Wayne an Oscar, didn't they?

And while lots of people may have liked the book, I submit it takes either
an extremely arcane sense of humor to appreciate it, or else you're seeing
the "groupie" effect in action.

Used as a text? So what? At the University of Wisconsin (GO BADGERS!) you
can take a course called "Poetry for Engineers" that uses some real
*garbage* as texts.

Everything you have said is not a statement of any intrinsic merit in
Hofstader's book -- all you say is that it won a popularity contest. So did
the floozy who took on the football team in high school.

Face it: the book is inaccessible, says nothing really except perhaps, "why
is there air?" and goes nowhere. Metamagical Thema indeed!

--
			       Ensign Benson
			       -Space Cadet-

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-The Digital Circus, Sector R-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

scott@gargoyle.UUCP (Scott Deerwester) (10/31/85)

I and a friend once spent a good part of an afternoon figuring
out the the Hebrew inscription at the beginning of the book
was a selection of a few verses out of Genesis in an ancient
Hebrew script... printed upside down.
--

	Scott Deerwester
	Graduate Library School