[net.books] A Feast Unknown

hankb@teklds.UUCP (Hank Buurman) (11/08/85)

I have just aquired a copy of "A Feast Unknown" by Farmer, and have set
it aside after the first two chapters. Frankly, I was so disturbed by what
I had read, I don't think I can finish it. Can anyone out there tell me
if the remainder of this book has any redeeming value? Is it worth wading
through the extremely sadistic sex and violence to finish it. I am not
normally prudish about either sex or violence in books or movies, but this
thing has really grossed me out.

Comments?

Hank Buurman
Tektronix Inc.
Beaverton, OR.

wilson_3@h-sc1.UUCP (bradford wilson) (11/13/85)

> I have just aquired a copy of "A Feast Unknown" by Farmer, and have set
> it aside after the first two chapters. Frankly, I was so disturbed by what
> I had read, I don't think I can finish it. Can anyone out there tell me
> if the remainder of this book has any redeeming value? Is it worth wading
> through the extremely sadistic sex and violence to finish it. I am not
> normally prudish about either sex or violence in books or movies, but this
> thing has really grossed me out.
>
> Comments?
>
> Hank Buurman
> Tektronix Inc.
> Beaverton, OR.

         As I recall, this book was banned for many years due to its content.
It certainly is unique, but indescribable except by SPOILING. If you were
so thoroughly  grossed  out, I don't think you will  enjoy the rest of it,
but for folks interested in the fictional Doc Savage meets Lord Greystoke
(Tarzan) stories,  Farmer's characters are thinly veiled versions.
Personally, I quite enjoyed the  book! (Call me what you will :-)!). It is
not often you see this kind of thing in print!

                              The Wombat .:.

clewis@mnetor.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (11/19/85)

In article <742@h-sc1.UUCP> wilson_3@h-sc1.UUCP (bradford wilson) writes:
>> I have just aquired a copy of "A Feast Unknown" by Farmer, and have set
>> it aside after the first two chapters. Frankly, I was so disturbed by what

>         As I recall, this book was banned for many years due to its content.
>It certainly is unique, but indescribable except by SPOILING. If you were
>so thoroughly  grossed  out, I don't think you will  enjoy the rest of it,
>but for folks interested in the fictional Doc Savage meets Lord Greystoke
>(Tarzan) stories,  Farmer's characters are thinly veiled versions.
>Personally, I quite enjoyed the  book! (Call me what you will :-)!). It is
>not often you see this kind of thing in print!

Are "A Feast Unknown" and "Image of the Beast" different books?  The above
description fits the latter book very well.
--
Chris Lewis,
UUCP: {allegra, linus, ihnp4}!utzoo!mnetor!clewis

wilson_3@h-sc1.UUCP (bradford wilson) (11/27/85)

> >         As I recall, this book was banned for many years due to its content.
> >It certainly is unique, but indescribable except by SPOILING. If you were
> >so thoroughly  grossed  out, I don't think you will  enjoy the rest of it,
> >but for folks interested in the fictional Doc Savage meets Lord Greystoke
> >(Tarzan) stories,  Farmer's characters are thinly veiled versions.
> >Personally, I quite enjoyed the  book! (Call me what you will :-)!). It is
> >not often you see this kind of thing in print!
>
> Are "A Feast Unknown" and "Image of the Beast" different books?  The above
> description fits the latter book very well.
> --
> Chris Lewis,
> UUCP: {allegra, linus, ihnp4}!utzoo!mnetor!clewis
> BELL: (416)-475-8980 ext. 321

                  I am not sure if they are one and the same. I posted the
above description awhile back and someone sent me Mail saying I would ALSO
like Image_of_the_Beast (which is memory serves he said was fairly new).
The book I reviewed was definitely titled A_Feast_Unknown, though.
             Anybody out there know of IOTB?

                                 The Wombat .:.
-----------------------------
"Are the noises in my head bothering you?"

wrd@tekigm2.UUCP (Bill Dippert) (11/29/85)

> > >         As I recall, this book was banned for many years due to its content.
> > >It certainly is unique, but indescribable except by SPOILING. If you were
> > >so thoroughly  grossed  out, I don't think you will  enjoy the rest of it,
> > >but for folks interested in the fictional Doc Savage meets Lord Greystoke
> > >(Tarzan) stories,  Farmer's characters are thinly veiled versions.
> > >Personally, I quite enjoyed the  book! (Call me what you will :-)!). It is
> > >not often you see this kind of thing in print!
> >
> > Are "A Feast Unknown" and "Image of the Beast" different books?  The above
> > description fits the latter book very well.
> > --
>                   I am not sure if they are one and the same. I posted the
> above description awhile back and someone sent me Mail saying I would ALSO
> like Image_of_the_Beast (which is memory serves he said was fairly new).
> The book I reviewed was definitely titled A_Feast_Unknown, though.
>              Anybody out there know of IOTB?

Yes, they are definitely two different books,  I have both of them in front of
me now from my home library.  "A Feast Unknown" is the book about Tarzan and
Doc Savage.  "Image of the Beast" is a totally different book which contains
two stories:  "Image of the Beast" and "Blown".  Both are published by Playboy
Press in pocket book format.  AFU is 0-872-16586-8 225 and IOTB is
0-872-16557-4 225.  From these ISBN numbers any bookstore should be able to
order them for you.  However, I do believe that Playboy Press has either been
sold or changed names or something?  The new company may no longer be
publishing these books.

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (12/02/85)

Is/was there a Farmer book devoted solely to a modernized Tarzan? Or was
there such a book and it was incorporated into or rewritten to become
part of A FEAST UNKNOWN? I have a vague recollection of reading a
library copy of a book about a mad scientist recreating a Tarzan-like
person by putting a male baby into an environment where he was raised by
apes and had no contact with civilization until adult. All I can recall
about the book was that the mad scientist lived on a pinnacle in the
middle of a lake, and had the capability to spy on/watch the
proto-Tarzan and his interaction with the native tribes (I think
they all were imprisoned in the area somehow, maybe by surrounding
impassable cliffs). The only other thing I recall was the scientist
getting furious when the Tarzan-like boy engaged in sexual
experimentation with the young native girls, actions which the scientist
felt were "unbecoming" to the image he was trying to inculcate... :-)

Will

jsq@im4u.UUCP (John Quarterman) (12/03/85)

>Is/was there a Farmer book devoted solely to a modernized Tarzan?

It's called Lord Tyger.  Set in the highlands of Gabon with dwarfs playing
the parts of the primates.
--
John Quarterman,   UUCP:  {ihnp4,seismo,harvard,gatech}!ut-sally!im4u!jsq
ARPA Internet and CSNET:  jsq@im4u.UTEXAS.EDU, formerly jsq@im4u.ARPA