[net.books] Scorsese to direct "Winter's Tale"

citrin@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Wayne Citrin) (12/04/85)

Martin Scorsese's next project will be a film of Mark Helprin's "Winter's
Tale."  Although this is a departure from the gritty films for which
Scorsese is known, like the others it is set in New York.  The script
will be by the screenwriter of "Cocoon."  It will be interesting to see
how this comes out, since although the book contains much vivid
imagery, I consider it virtually unfilmable without losing much of the
texture.  Scorsese is probably a good choice since he probably knows and
loves the city better than any director, except possibly Sidney Lumet.

No word on casting, but I would recommend William Hurt in the role of
Peter Lake.

Wayne Citrin
(ucbvax!citrin)

reiher@ucla-cs.UUCP (12/05/85)

In article <11148@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> citrin@ucbvax.UUCP (Wayne Citrin) writes:
>Martin Scorsese's next project will be a film of Mark Helprin's "Winter's
>Tale."  Although this is a departure from the gritty films for which
>Scorsese is known, like the others it is set in New York.  ...
>Scorsese is probably a good choice since he probably knows and
>loves the city better than any director, except possibly Sidney Lumet.

Scorsese is also a good choice (or, more precisely, he probably chose the
project) because, for some years now, he has been trying to make a film
about the street gangs of New York City during the 19th century.  "Winter's
Tale" features these prominently.

I always like to see a good director stretching.  Scorsese made an improbable
success of "After Hours", so perhaps he has some feel for a property like
"Winter's Tale".
--
        			Peter Reiher
				reiher@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU