[net.books] "Tales from the 1001 Nights"

jhc@mtung.UUCP (Jonathan Clark) (11/21/85)

Any halfway respectable bookstore should have a copy of
this. Try the Penguin Classic Books edition. However,
finding the version that you remember is rather more
difficult. Nobody really agrees on which stories make up
the set, and so different editions carry different subsets.
For example, the 'Sinbad' stories are popularly included,
even though they were (probably) not in the original.

If you read a young person's edition then you may find that
you quickly become bored with the full translation - it
does tend to be full of phrases such as 'O King live for
ever' and 'Praise be to Al-lah'.

In addition, most editions printed more than ~15 years ago
were based on a translation done in the last century by a
English gentleman (whose name eludes me), whose work
reflected the then current mores. In other words it was
heavily bowdlerized. If you are into censoring what your
children are exposed to then pre-reading of a modern
translation is advised. It can get quite explicit in places
(and I do *not* consider phrases such as 'her thighs were
like white marble; her breasts were like <fill in your
favourite metaphor here>' to be explicit).
--
Jonathan Clark
[NAC]!mtung!jhc

My walk has become rather more silly lately.

ecl@mtgzz.UUCP (e.c.leeper) (11/22/85)

> In addition, most editions printed more than ~15 years ago
> were based on a translation done in the last century by a
> English gentleman (whose name eludes me), whose work
> reflected the then current mores. In other words it was
> heavily bowdlerized.

I believe that the translation you are referring to is the one by Sir Richard
Burton (no, not the actor), and he did *NOT* bowdlerize it--his wife did after
his death.  She also burnt a lot of his memoirs, notes, etc., because *she*
didn't approve of what he said or how he said it.

					Evelyn C. Leeper
					...ihnp4!mtgzz!ecl

*	       Get a Usenetter on the ballot at Confederation!               *
*	Nominate MARK R. LEEPER for Hugo for Best Fan Writer in 1986!        *

floyd@brl-tgr.ARPA (Floyd C. Wofford ) (11/22/85)

>In addition, most editions printed more than ~15 years ago
>were based on a translation done in the last century by a
>English gentleman (whose name eludes me), whose work

I believe his name was Richard Burton.

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) (11/23/85)

> >In addition, most editions printed more than ~15 years ago
> >were based on a translation done in the last century by a
> >English gentleman (whose name eludes me), whose work
>
> I believe his name was Richard Burton.

	The Burton version is definitely NOT bowdlerized - it runs to
several volumes and is intentionally quite explicit.

--
jcpatilla

Mountain View is paid a diplomatic visit by giant Lunar reptiles
that want our hot tubs but can't find any so they leave.

farren@well.UUCP (Mike Farren) (11/24/85)

In article <1433@mtgzz.UUCP>, ecl@mtgzz.UUCP (e.c.leeper) writes:
>> In addition, most editions printed more than ~15 years ago
>> were based on a translation done in the last century by a
>> English gentleman (whose name eludes me), whose work
>
> I believe that the translation you are referring to is the one by Sir Richard
> Burton (no, not the actor), and he did *NOT* bowdlerize it--his wife did after
> his death.  She also burnt a lot of his memoirs, notes, etc., because *she*
> didn't approve of what he said or how he said it.

    As far as I know, the Burton edition was never bowdlerized, but was the
basis for many of the "sanitized" editions available since.  A complete set
of the Burton Society edition runs to about 20 volumes, and can be had for
under $100, if you can find it.  I got mine through a discount mail-order
outfit (Publisher's Clearing House, I think).  This is well worthwhile -
these stories are GREAT!

--
           Mike Farren
           uucp: {dual, hplabs}!well!farren

mac@uvacs.UUCP (Alex Colvin) (11/25/85)

> I believe that the translation you are referring to is the one by Sir Richard
> Burton (no, not the actor), and he did *NOT* bowdlerize it--his wife did after

The Burton translation is the [only] one you want!

rs55611@ihuxk.UUCP (Robert E. Schleicher) (11/25/85)

> Any halfway respectable bookstore should have a copy of
> this. Try the Penguin Classic Books edition. However,
> finding the version that you remember is rather more
> difficult. Nobody really agrees on which stories make up
> the set, and so different editions carry different subsets.
> For example, the 'Sinbad' stories are popularly included,
> even though they were (probably) not in the original.
>
> If you read a young person's edition then you may find that
> you quickly become bored with the full translation - it
> does tend to be full of phrases such as 'O King live for
> ever' and 'Praise be to Al-lah'.
>
> In addition, most editions printed more than ~15 years ago
> were based on a translation done in the last century by a
> English gentleman (whose name eludes me), whose work
> reflected the then current mores. In other words it was
> heavily bowdlerized. If you are into censoring what your
> children are exposed to then pre-reading of a modern
> translation is advised. It can get quite explicit in places
> (and I do *not* consider phrases such as 'her thighs were
> like white marble; her breasts were like <fill in your
> favourite metaphor here>' to be explicit).
> --
> Jonathan Clark
> [NAC]!mtung!jhc
>
> My walk has become rather more silly lately.

Is the English gentleman referred to above named Sir Richard
Francis Burton?  In Philip Jose Farmer's science fiction "Riverworld"
series, the main characters are real-life people who are resurrected on
a new world called the Riverworld.  One of the main characters is
Richard Francis Burton, who is described as a 19th century adventurer
who, among other things, discovered lake Tanganyika (or some other
well-known African lake; and I mean "discovered" in the sense that he
was the first European to see it), and also wrote and compiled a
translation of the 1001 Arabian Nights.

Since the descriptions of all the other major characters seem to be based
on historical figures, at least as far as I was able to tell, it would seem
that Burton's character was also based on fact.  Anyone know more about
this?

Bob Schleicher
ihuxk!rs55611
:

pamp@bcsaic.UUCP (pam pincha) (11/25/85)

In article <632@mtung.UUCP> jhc@mtung.UUCP (Jonathan Clark) writes:
>Nobody really agrees on which stories make up
>the set, and so different editions carry different subsets.
>For example, the 'Sinbad' stories are popularly included,
>even though they were (probably) not in the original.
>
>If you read a young person's edition then you may find that
>you quickly become bored with the full translation - it
>does tend to be full of phrases such as 'O King live for
>ever' and 'Praise be to Al-lah'.
>
>In addition, most editions printed more than ~15 years ago
>were based on a translation done in the last century by a
>English gentleman (whose name eludes me), whose work

 Sir Rchard Burton

>reflected the then current mores. In other words it was
>heavily bowdlerized. If you are into censoring what your
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Burton WROTE the ORIGINAL translation after spending
a considerable amount of time in the Middle East.
It was mainly an anthrpological study -- hence the
more dry reading (his footnotes are almost more interesting
than some of the stories). It was very graphical both sexual
and violence wise. (Note Sir Richard was NOT known to
write anything to reflect the NORMAL mores of Victorian
England. He was a noted rebel when it came to English
mores versus what he had studied across the world. I think the
story that you ran across was mixed up.) The children's
version is a much watered down selections of just a very
small amount of the original (which is fouteen volumes
and contains several hundred stories). This is why different
versions (abridged ones that is)vary. (This is also
why ,as is stated below, one should pre-read the versions -
especially the original translation collection.)

>children are exposed to then pre-reading of a modern
>translation is advised. It can get quite explicit in places
>(and I do *not* consider phrases such as 'her thighs were
>like white marble; her breasts were like <fill in your
>favourite metaphor here>' to be explicit).

P.M.Pincha-Wagener

seshadri@t12tst.UUCP (Raghavan Seshadri) (12/07/85)

> > In addition, most editions printed more than ~15 years ago
> > were based on a translation done in the last century by a
> > English gentleman (whose name eludes me), whose work
> > reflected the then current mores. In other words it was
> > heavily bowdlerized.
>
> I believe that the translation you are referring to is the one by Sir Richard
> Burton (no, not the actor), and he did *NOT* bowdlerize it--his wife did after
> his death.  She also burnt a lot of his memoirs, notes, etc., because *she*
> didn't approve of what he said or how he said it.

An excellent biography of his wife,her total adoration of her husband,her
whimsical ways and prudish thinking can be found in the book 'The wilder
shores of love' which also details the lives of other victorian women
who had links to the middle east like George Sand,Lady Jane Digby el
Mezrab and a French woman who was a concubine of the Sultan of Turkey.
The author was a woman whose name eludes me right now.A great read.

--
Raghu Seshadri