[net.books] Thriller

norm@umcp-cs.UUCP (Norm Glick) (12/17/85)

Following is a response by my wife Ruth:

I've read a fair number of books in the suspense field.  As some of
the other respondents have noted, Bourne Identity is somewhat
different from Ludlum's other books.  My particular favorite is
the Chancellor Manuscript.  One of the respondents mentioned the
Eye of the Needle.  It's by Ken Follett.  As far as I'm concerned
he's much better than Ludlum.  Ludlum writes the same characters
over and over again (e.g., the poor jerk wandering around getting
shot at and miraculously surviving--that's what makes Bourne
somewhat different.  Even if he doesn't know who he is, his
reflexes remember how to defend him).  Follett has more interesting
characters.  My personal favorite Follett book is Triple which has the
international espionage aspects you like.  The Key to Rebecca and
Eye of the Needle are also very good.  McInnes doesn't have quite
the level of action (If you like Ludlum's having his hero shot at
or assaulted every 20 pages, you won't like her!).  LeCarre is
also a lot slower than Ludlum, but you might like The Little
Drummer Girl.  I don't think Forsythe is as good as Follett or
Ludlum.  The Odessa File was OK, but not exceptional.  Clive
Cusler has been recommended to me, but I picked up one of his
books and couldn't get into it.

edwards@uwmacc.UUCP (mark edwards) (12/18/85)

In article <2586@umcp-cs.UUCP> norm@umcp-cs.UUCP (Norm Glick) writes:

>the Chancellor Manuscript.  One of the respondents mentioned the
>Eye of the Needle.  It's by Ken Follett.  As far as I'm concerned
>he's much better than Ludlum.  Ludlum writes the same characters
>over and over again..

 As long as everyone else is joining in ...

 I like Follet but he has a lot of sexual perversion, swearing and
 the like. Do any of his books not use this cheap technique to
 further the plot?  Maybe my standards are to high.
  I liked Alaistar Maclean but his stories seem to be more of the
same topics with different characters in different places. His
earlier stuff is better.

  I like Joe Poyer, Craig Thomas ( Fire Fox, and others ), I really
like Ludlum his stories have bulk to them, if just in pages.

mark