[net.books] Request for novels on bookshops and/

porges@inmet.UUCP (12/18/85)

	Another book about books might be Isaac Asimov's MURDER AT THE ABA,
which I confess to not having read.  It's about a murder at the American
Booksellers Association, a real event, and if I recall second-hand it features
appearences by one or more real publishers.  Does this count?
					-- Don Porges
					...harpo!inmet!porges
					...hplabs!sri-unix!cca!ima!inmet!porges
					...yale-comix!ima!inmet!porges

msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) (12/25/85)

Don Porges (porges@inmet.UUCP) writes:
> 	Another book about books might be Isaac Asimov's MURDER AT THE ABA,
> which I confess to not having read.  It's about a murder at the American
> Booksellers Association, a real event ...

Um, that IS rather ambiguous.

Let me clarify:  the ABA *convention*, where the story is set, was indeed
an actual event.  As a matter of fact, since Asimov was there gathering
material for the book, he wrote himself into the story as a minor character.
This leads to humor which all fans of Asimov's writing-about-self will enjoy.

The *murder*, however, is entirely fictional.
I really enjoyed the book, like just about all of Asimov's fiction.

Mark Brader