[net.books] Sexual Slant in Novels - "Stars in My Pocket..."

db@cstvax.UUCP (Dave Berry) (01/06/86)

In article <1656@bbncca.ARPA> rrizzo@bbncca.ARPA (Ron Rizzo) writes:
>Disclosing sexual bias in a book?  Advertising its sexuality?  Hey, what
>is this?  [...]   Apply any of these recommendations to books
>"slanted" to heterosexuality (god forbid!); the result would be clearly
>perceived as off the wall, AND obnoxious by more than a few readers.
Too right.

>Why do publishers have any economic interest in "advertising" the book's
>sexuality?  They'd probably lose money if they adopted such a policy.
>Finally, it betrays a lack of knowledge of publishing: publishers are
>legally free to put anything they like on book covers; not even the
>author has ANY control over what goes on them.  The disclaimers being
>suggested are not only utterly irrelevant to publishing practices, they
>imply a warped kind of public service at odds with what publishing houses
>see as effective and appropriate cover advertising.

What the fuck has the current legal position in the USA got to do with what
*should* be the case?  The guy doesn't have a lack of knowledge about
publishing, he obviously knows people CAN do this.  He's asking if
a) he was deceived  (I don't think so)
b) publishers *should* be allowed to deceive (I don't think this, either)

>Given the superficiality of many readers' aims, positive deception is
>valuable in LURING readers into buying and reading books.  Think of
>how many of the classics of world literature have to be "marketed"
>to get people to consider looking at them at all.
Marketing is one thing, deception is another.  I don't think the case
under discussion involves deception, but I'd be really pissed off if I
spent money on something that promised to be one thing and didn't deliver.

>Nowadays, the way
>to do it is to turn the book into a teleplay for Masterpiece Theater
>with lots of production value and famous actors.
If they can get it past the censors.  Very few gay plays make it onto
British television.  Even Channel 4 only gets as far as showing some
existing gay films.

>So, since when has honesty been a policy in publishing?  Why should
>it be?  Who wants it to be (certainly not prospective readers!)?
The original poster, and I (both prospective readers).
--
	Dave Berry. CS postgrad, Univ. of Edinburgh
					...mcvax!ukc!cstvax!db