[net.books] Ellis Peter's Monk's-Hood

steiner@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Dave Steiner) (01/11/86)

I've gotten interested in Ellis Peter's mysteries about Cadfael the
monk (BTW, theses are quite good).  I have tried to collect all of
them but this seems to be harder than I first thought.  I had gotten
all the books except one (called _Monk's-Hood_).  This was listed as
"forthcoming" inside the other books.  It was about the 5th book in
the series even though 6 & 7 were already out.  Today I just found
number 8.  It no longer lists _Monk's-Hood_ at all.  I've checked
"Books in Print" and can't find it there.  Anyone know the story on
this one.  Will we ever see it?

thanks,
ds

uucp:   ...{harvard, seismo, ut-sally, sri-iu, ihnp4!packard}!topaz!steiner
arpa:   Steiner@RUTGERS or Steiner@RED.RUTGERS.EDU

--

faunt@hplabs.UUCP (Doug Faunt) (01/12/86)

> all the books except one (called _Monk's-Hood_).  This was listed as
> "forthcoming" inside the other books.  It was about the 5th book in
> the series even though 6 & 7 were already out.  Today I just found
> number 8.  It no longer lists _Monk's-Hood_ at all.  I've checked
> "Books in Print" and can't find it there.  Anyone know the story on
> this one.  Will we ever see it?
Well, it certainly exists.  I have a copy in my hand, BUT it's
a British paper-back that I picked up in Australia.
  Futura/0-7088-2553-2/ 1.95

Is everyone aware that British books can be bought from Blackwell's
in Oxford, by sending them the ISBN, and a VISA card number or
personal check in US dollars?  It turns out to be real cheap,
sometimes, depending on where the pound is.  It's also pretty slow.
The address is: Blackwells, Broad Street, Oxford, England OX1 3BQ
--
        ....!hplabs!faunt		faunt@hplabs.ARPA
HP is not responsible for anything I say here.  In fact, what I say here

corwin@cdp.UUCP (01/12/86)

Steiner@RITGERS writes:
>I've gotten interested in Ellis Peter's mysteries about Cadfael the
>monk (BTW, theses are quite good).  I have tried to collect all of
>them but this seems to be harder than I first thought.  I had gotten
>all the books except one (called _Monk's-Hood_).  This was listed as
>"forthcoming" inside the other books.  It was about the 5th book in
>the series even though 6 & 7 were already out.  Today I just found
>number 8.  It no longer lists _Monk's-Hood_ at all.  I've checked
>"Books in Print" and can't find it there.  Anyone know the story on
According to my beloved SO (she really knows her mystery books!):
According to John M. Reilly's 20th Century Crime and Mystery Writers:
Monk's Hood is the third in the series.  Published by Morrow, NY, 1981.
The Brother Cadfael series is very good.  Check him out.

stu16@whuxl.UUCP (SMITH) (01/15/86)

  Have you tried your local public library? If they have the
book, you will be able to find the publisher and date of
publication. Then a simple matter to order it. If out of
print, try places that sell "remaindered" books. Here in the
east (NYC area), there are many such places. I have just
borrowed the latest (#9) from my library and Monk's-Hood is
listed as #3 or 4 in the series.
--
whuxl!stu16