[net.books] MAIA by Richard Adams

emc@g.cs.cmu.edu (Edmund Clarke) (01/19/86)

I saw this in Walden Books today. Has anyone read it? It has 1223 pages
and costs 4.95. So I don't want to buy it unless it is good.

krantz@csd2.UUCP (Michaelntz) (01/19/86)

> I saw this in Walden Books today. Has anyone read it? It has 1223 pages
> and costs 4.95. So I don't want to buy it unless it is good.

I dont know if it's good, but I did hear it's very dirty.

farren@well.UUCP (Mike Farren) (01/20/86)

In article <2660013@csd2.UUCP>, krantz@csd2.UUCP (Michaelntz) writes:
> > I saw this in Walden Books today. Has anyone read it? It has 1223 pages
> > and costs 4.95. So I don't want to buy it unless it is good.
>
> I dont know if it's good, but I did hear it's very dirty.

    The word I get is that MAIA is extremely sexist and racist, to
the point I've not even considered getting it ( I've heard this from
friends whom I trust implicitly in these matters; normally they bend
over backwards to be fair, so I tend to believe them when they bad-rap
a book ).  Any independent confirmation of this stance from some netter
would be useful.

--
           Mike Farren
           uucp: {your favorite backbone site}!hplabs!well!farren

grr@cbm.UUCP (George Robbins) (01/22/86)

> In article <2660013@csd2.UUCP>, krantz@csd2.UUCP (Michaelntz) writes:
>>> I saw this in Walden Books today. Has anyone read it? It has 1223 pages
>> I dont know if it's good, but I did hear it's very dirty.
>
>     The word I get is that MAIA is extremely sexist and racist, to
> the point I've not even considered getting it ( I've heard this from
> friends whom I trust implicitly in these matters; normally they bend
> over backwards to be fair, so I tend to believe them when they bad-rap
> a book ).  Any independent confirmation of this stance from some netter
> would be useful.
>            Mike Farren

The book is much about sexuality, but more to the point, civilization,
society and humanity.  To label it as sexist and racist suggests that
your friends may have read the cover, and enough of the text to have
fallen prey to knee-jerk reactions.

You should perhaps read some of the book yourself before echoing other's
opinions.  I read the first 250 pages tonight and found it most interesting
and thought provoking.

Be warned though, that many people will find the book to be *OBSCENE*, and it
will take you to some uncomfortable places.  As of yet, I haven't the faintest
idea whether in the end, justice or retribution reigns.
--
George Robbins - now working with,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbm!grr
but no way officially representing	arpa: cbm!grr@seismo.css.GOV

seb@mtgzz.UUCP (s.e.badian) (01/25/86)

	Funny you should ask! I just finished it. I did like it, but
it was nothing like "The Plague Dogs" or "Watership Down." It takes
place in the same place as "Shardik" (who is mentioned in the book),
but in another time. Briefly, the book is about a poor but very
beautiful girl who is sold into slavery and ends up in the greatest
city in the Belkan Empire. Here she gets embroiled is some pretty
wild political going-ons. The book is packed with action - it is
never slow. There are hundreds of different characters, but luckily
Richard Adams includes a list of characters so you can figure out who
everyone is. It is not a kids book by any stretch of the imagination.
There is sex and violence and all sorts of good stuff. It is a very
well written fantasy novel that kept me interested. I read about
1/3 of those 1260 pages on a flight to Denver. You want to know what
happens to Maia next. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good
historical type fantasy novel. Kinda reminded me of Shogun and Clan
of the Cave Bear.

Sharon Badian
ihnp4!mtgzz!mtgzy!seb