[net.books] Should book ads disclose sexual slant?

hsf@hlexa.UUCP (Henry Friedman) (12/27/85)

Recently I bought an sf novel from the Quality Paperback
Book Club, Samuel R. Delany's "Stars in My Pocket Like Grains
of Sand."  The book club's blurb had read something like:
"drama of life, death and sexuality in the distant future."
The problem I have with this is that the ad didn't disclose
that the "sexuality" was predominantly gay sexuality.
Despite some features of interest, I stopped reading the
book about half way through, when it became evident that just
about all the romance and sex was to be gay.

Upon opening the cover, I had noted that Delany had also written
"Dhalgren", which I HAD enjoyed (because of its unusual dreamscape
development), even though much or most of the sex in that was
also gay. (My only real annoyance was when the hero said something
like, straights who won't engage in bisexual affairs must have
a mean-spirited streak.)

Now, I'm not saying that I couldn't enjoy ANY novel with a gay
theme, any more than I'm saying that gays wouldn't enjoy any
straight novel.  But, if the novel isn't "great literature,"
an important component of one's enjoyment is usually the ability
to identify with the major characters.  This leads to my questions
(at the risk of getting flamed as homophobic, etc.):

1) Should ads for novels at least suggest whether the sex/romance
   is predominantly straight or gay?  (I don't think this would be
   necessary if the main themes are not romantic, such as novels
   about social/political oppression.)

2) Should it make any difference? In other words, should it have
   mattered to me?

3) Was it my fault for not remembering or knowing that Delany's
   sf writing has a gay slant?

4) Do I have a point in objecting to the way the book club advertised
   the book?

5) Was the book such a work of creative genious that it transcended
   such considerations?

--Henry Friedman

sdyer@bbncc5.UUCP (Steve Dyer) (12/30/85)

I think Christine Robertson (globetek!chris) said it as well as anyone
could.  Actually, I'm glad this guy brought Delaney's book up, because I
just purchased it, taking a chance that I remembered its mention a long
long time ago here on net.motss.  On the other hand, I wasn't SURE that
this was the book, and given my aversion to SF in general, and the fact
that the cover really didn't say much about its "orientation", I was afraid
myself that I would have to wade through (shudder) pages of straight sex
as well as SF writing! :-)  Talk about being cheated out of $3.95!
--
/Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.harvard.edu

dat@hpcnof.UUCP (12/30/85)

Henry Friedman (hlexa!hsf) brings up an interesting point about
the relationship of people who read books to the characters in the
books.

As with Henry, I enjoy books where I can identify with the
protagonist (vicariously or otherwise) and have started a number of
books that I've just thrown down in disgust after finding NO-ONE and
NOTHING that I could identify with.  (The example that comes to mind
is by Michael Moorcock - "The Cornelius Chronicles")

> 1) Should ads for novels at least suggest whether the sex/romance
>   is predominantly straight or gay?  (I don't think this would be
>   necessary if the main themes are not romantic, such as novels
>   about social/political oppression.)

	I don't think so, unless it's significant to the plot of the
book (e.g. a book about sexual repression, for example, should be
indicated as such, but a book where the protagonist is intimate with
a "Significant Other" shouldn't need it (unless the intimacies are
most of the book)).   On the other hand, it's certainly safer to
indicate - I would, for example, find reading a book about pedophiles
most disturbing, and would probably be quite unhappy with the store
that sold it to me for not indicating it was such a story...It's
just a matter of having honest legitimate summaries of the stories
on the flyleaf, or the back of the paperback, or whatever.

> 2) Should it make any difference? In other words, should it have
>    mattered to me?

Certainly.  We are what we are, to paraphrase Popeye, and you shouldn't
have to repress your heterosexual bias when you read a book.  If one
feels uncomfortable with a certain area, it's OKAY.  Just be honest
about it.  I also have hangups about certain things (like rape, and
strange S/M stuff and so on) and prefer to know ahead of time if that
sort of stuff is in a book I'm reading.

> 3) Was it my fault for not remembering or knowing that Delany's
>    sf writing has a gay slant?

	Hmmm...the tone of this is kinda strange, Henry, but I
guess perhaps it was.  If you find an author that has a tendency
towards certain things (like Heinlein and the inevitable older
man and two younger women *yawn*) that you don't like, you should
perhaps keep that in mind next time you pick a book by the author.

On the other hand, what if you'd never read anything by Delany
before??

> 4) Do I have a point in objecting to the way the book club advertised
>    the book?

	Yes.  See #1.  Write 'em a letter, anyway.

> 5) Was the book such a work of creative genius that it transcended
>    such considerations?

	In a word: Nahhh.  The 'creative license' of artists has
been vastly abused just to feed the public lightly covered pornography
and other disgusting stuff - and I don't personally believe that I'm too
"dumb" to appreciate ANY book that I choose to read.  If I don't
like something I find it hard to convince myself that maybe I'm the
one at fault, not the 'critics' or whatever...

	Anyone have further thoughts on this thorny topic?

					-- Dave Taylor

ps: Henry, I applaud you for bringing this important topic up.  Well done!

rooter@well.UUCP (Brian Mavrogeorge) (12/30/85)

Congratulations on experiencing what gay people do everytime they read
the great "classics" of our time.  I suppose for some sexual orientation
labeling might be appropriate but would so much better if you could learn
to celebrate others sexuality.  Sort of like when I read most novels which
contain abundant depictions of heterosexuality -- I dont fint it
particularly exciting but certainly interesting -- and I certainly wouldn't
stop reading the book because it had too much heterosexuality in it.  If the
depictions were exceedingly graphic I might stop but because of the
explicitness not the sex of the participants.  No, I don't accuse you
of being a flaming homophobe.  Yours was a honest question.  I might suggest
tthat you read the "20 questions to ask a heterosexual" that were previously
posted.  You may be close to a consciousness raising - go for it!!

oleg@birtch.UUCP (Oleg Kiselev) (12/31/85)

In article <4729@hlexa.UUCP> hsf@hlexa.UUCP (Henry Friedman) writes:
1) Should ads for novels at least suggest whether the sex/romance
>   is predominantly straight or gay?  (I don't think this would be
>   necessary if the main themes are not romantic, such as novels
>   about social/political oppression.)

Only if you are a prude or a homofobe. Sex is sex, romance is romance; if
you enjoy reading about "straight" sex without feeling "naughty" or guilty you
you should be able to enjoy a love story about two(?) individuals regardless of
their sex.
What DOES irk me is sex between alien species....

>2) Should it make any difference? In other words, should it have
>   mattered to me?

I don't see why... Sex is sex....

>3) Was it my fault for not remembering or knowing that Delany's
>   sf writing has a gay slant?

Only if you object to homosexuality getting "equal time".

>4) Do I have a point in objecting to the way the book club advertised
>   the book?

No. It's like objecting to not mentioning any demonic, satanic, pagan, magical
subject matter.  It sonds like PMRC's record labeling system. And we all know
how silly that is ;-)

>5) Was the book such a work of creative genious that it transcended
>   such considerations?

Don't know, have not read it (yet?).
--
Disclamer: I don't work here anymore - so they are not responsible for me.
+-------------------------------+ Don't bother, I'll find the door!
|   STAY ALERT! TRUST NO ONE!   |                       Oleg Kiselev.
|     KEEP YOUR LASER HANDY!    |...!{trwrb|scgvaxd}!felix!birtch!oleg
--------------------------------+...!{ihnp4|randvax}!ucla-cs!uclapic!oac6!oleg

dlb@stcvax.UUCP (David Black) (01/02/86)

I'm a little surprised about the complaint about the sexual content
of the Delaney novel.  I read the book a couple of weeks ago so the
general impression that it gave is still fresh in my mind.  Sexual
desire is an important part of the book but sex acts themselves are
not, so unless the original poster's objection is to the very idea
or mention of homosexuality, I don't understand what the complaint
is.  I understand that the original posting was about the general
idea of labeling but I don't understand how this particular book
provoked it.
Are there others who have read the book and can comment on their
reactions to the sexual action vs. the sexual orientation?

oliver@unc.UUCP (Bill Oliver) (01/05/86)

In article <223@birtch.UUCP> oleg@birtch.UUCP (Oleg Kiselev) writes:
>In article <4729@hlexa.UUCP> hsf@hlexa.UUCP (Henry Friedman) writes:
>1) Should ads for novels at least suggest whether the sex/romance
>>   is predominantly straight or gay?  (I don't think this would be
>>   necessary if the main themes are not romantic, such as novels
>>   about social/political oppression.)
>
>Only if you are a prude or a homofobe. Sex is sex, romance is romance; if
>you enjoy reading about "straight" sex without feeling "naughty" or guilty you
>you should be able to enjoy a love story about two(?) individuals regardless of
>their sex.
>
>>2) Should it make any difference? In other words, should it have
>>   mattered to me?
>
>I don't see why... Sex is sex....

On the contrary.  It seems to me that there is an increasing tendency among
folk nowadays, in their attempts to appear or to be tolerant of
the behavior of others, to express a uniformly "nonjudgemental" attitude by
exercising a lack of judgment altogether. Toleration need not imply approval;
I do many things that my friends strongly disapprove of.  They do not feel
the necessity of forcing me to adopt their attitudes, and I do not feel the
need to make them approve of my actions.  Approval and tolerance are quite
different, and as with all things in my opinion, should involve the use of
one's judgmemental faculties, not the abandonment of them.

As a case in point, all sex is not just sex. Whether it be heterosexual(1),
homosexual(2), or autoerotic(3), there are a wide class of sexual activities
which either represent profound emotional disease or are simply evil. To
fear to express disapproval of an act for fear of appearing intolerant is
a form of moral cowardice.

Similarly, one's tastes, like one's moral stance, should involve some
descrimination.  To appreciate a fine wine it is necessary to recognise
that there will be vintages which compare unfavorably with it, to your
palate at least. There is no requirement to enjoy pears as much as
apples; there is no requirement to care for pears at all - it certainly
does not imply evil intentions towards pear orchards nor towards those
who care for pears.  To suggest that all wines or all fruit or all
writing should appeal equally to ones taste is to argue for a dulled
sensiblity and foggy thought.  Thus, it is not at all necessary,
nor even desirable, that one enjoy a recounting of any random sexual
act.  I suggest quite the opposite, that one has every right to object
to buying a bag of apples and finding it full of pears.

>>3) Was it my fault for not remembering or knowing that Delany's
>>   sf writing has a gay slant?
>
>Only if you object to homosexuality getting "equal time".

It is not your responsibility to keep tabs on the sexual proclivities
of all those who put pen to paper.  An adequate book review should have
reflected the contents of the book.

>>4) Do I have a point in objecting to the way the book club advertised
>>   the book?
>
>No. It's like objecting to not mentioning any demonic, satanic, pagan, magical
>subject matter.  It sonds like PMRC's record labeling system. And we all know
>how silly that is ;-)

That depends on how much of a review one can expect from the vendor.  I
suppose that if you buy a bag simply labeled "fruit", you can't complain
too much if pears are what's inside.  You might write the company and
let them know that their labelling is inadequate. I personally think that
one should expect better of a book review. It is in the best interest of
a merchant to please his or her customers, especially in things that
cost little money or effort to change.

To claim that an adequate book review is censorship is to argue that
we should buy and read books randomly - a waste of time, effort, and
money.

>>5) Was the book such a work of creative genious that it transcended
>>   such considerations?
>
>Don't know, have not read it (yet?).

A book rarely transcends its content.

>                  Oleg Kiselev.

Bill Oliver
Asst. Chief Medical Examiner
State of North Carolina

			Upon Love

Love brought me to a silent Grove,
   And shew'd me there a Tree,
Where some had hang'd themselves for love,
   And gave a Twist to me.

The Halter was of silk and gold,
  That he reacht forth unto me:
No otherwise, then if he would