[net.books] skepticism and the paranormal, humanism, philosophy, etc., etc.

rpjday@watrose.UUCP (rpjday) (01/30/86)

  If there are people out there who, like myself, are interested in
the scientific criticism of the paranormal (ESP, astrology, prophecy),
plus just a bagful of other interesting topics like secular humanist
literature and critiques on various religions and cults, you might
want to pick up the latest (spring/summer 86) book list from
Prometheus Books, which specializes in this sort of thing.
A sample listing of some of their stuff follows:
  Christian Science -- Mark Twain
  Bertrand Russell on God and Religion -- Al Seckel (ed.)
  The Bermuda Triangle Mystery - Solved -- Larry Kusche
  UFOs: The Public Deceived -- Philip Klass
  Science Confronts the Paranormal -- Kendrick Frazier (ed.)
  A Skeptic's Handbook of Parapsychology -- Paul Kurtz (ed.)
  Reagan, God and the Bomb -- F. H. Knelman
  Flim-Flam -- James Randi
  The Spiritualists -- Ruth Brandon
  Inquest on the Shroud of Turin -- Joe Nickell
  The Problem of God -- Peter Angeles
  Religion, State and the Burger Court -- Leo Pfeffer
  In Defense of Secular Humanism -- Paul Kurtz
  The Dead Sea Scrolls and the Christian Myth -- John Allegro

   and just a truckload of other neato, groovy stuff.  A fair portion
is dedicated to the confrontation between science and the paranormal,
and between science and religion.  You can just send for a copy of the
book list, the address is

	Prometheus Books
	700 East Amherst St.
	Buffalo, N.Y.
		14215

  It appears that this company is at least loosely-linked with the people
who publish The Skeptical Inquirer, a quarterly journal which investigates
claims of the paranormal, and whose staff includes James Randi, Philip Klass,
Martin Gardner and Paul Kurtz, among others.  Where else can you find
books with the titles Having Love Affairs, Good and Evil, The Fringe of
the Unknown, The Art of Deception, The Atheist Debater's Handbook ...
I could go on and on, but you might as well blow a stamp and get the catalog.
Even if you don't order anything, the catalog is worth it (check out the
2-volume Encyclopedia of Unbelief).

WARNING:  The surgeon general had determined that these books can be
          hazardous to the health of those people who are dogmatic,
          set in their ways, gullible, or who just plain refuse to
          look at the world around them.

cheers ...

alan@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Alan Algustyniak) (02/05/86)

In article <7786@watrose.UUCP> rpjday@watrose.UUCP (rpjday) writes:

>Prometheus Books, which specializes in this sort of thing.
>A sample listing of some of their stuff follows:
>  Christian Science -- Mark Twain
>  Bertrand Russell on God and Religion -- Al Seckel (ed.)
>  The Bermuda Triangle Mystery - Solved -- Larry Kusche
>  UFOs: The Public Deceived -- Philip Klass
>  Science Confronts the Paranormal -- Kendrick Frazier (ed.)
>  A Skeptic's Handbook of Parapsychology -- Paul Kurtz (ed.)
>  Reagan, God and the Bomb -- F. H. Knelman
>  Flim-Flam -- James Randi
>  The Spiritualists -- Ruth Brandon
>  Inquest on the Shroud of Turin -- Joe Nickell
>  The Problem of God -- Peter Angeles
>  Religion, State and the Burger Court -- Leo Pfeffer
>  In Defense of Secular Humanism -- Paul Kurtz
>  The Dead Sea Scrolls and the Christian Myth -- John Allegro
>
>book list, the address is
>
>       Prometheus Books        700 East Amherst St.    Buffalo, N.Y.14215

They also publish "The Gemini Syndrome",  the best astrology debunking
book i have yet found.

gsmith@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Gene Ward Smith) (02/10/86)

In article <7786@watrose.UUCP> rpjday@watrose.UUCP (rpjday) writes:

>  The Dead Sea Scrolls and the Christian Myth -- John Allegro

>Even if you don't order anything, the catalog is worth it (check out the
>2-volume Encyclopedia of Unbelief).

>WARNING:  The surgeon general had determined that these books can be
>          hazardous to the health of those people who are dogmatic,
>          set in their ways, gullible, or who just plain refuse to
>          look at the world around them.
>
>cheers ...

  I don't know much about most of the books written, but John Allegro
was the turky who wrote a book with 150 pages of footnotes proving
that Jesus was a mushroom. Maybe you should try a little of your own
Unbelief on the universal merit of this company?

ucbvax!brahms!gsmith    Gene Ward Smith/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720
ucbvax!weyl!gsmith      "When Ubizmo talks, people listen."