[net.books] Complaint about drowning in lists...

gjerawlins@watdaisy.UUCP (Gregory J.E. Rawlins) (02/10/86)

In article <322@ihu1n.UUCP> johnnyr@ihu1n.UUCP (John R. Rosenberg) writes:
>Is anyone else getting sick to death of these pointless lists
>of titles that Bill Dippert keeps sending out [...]

    The problem is economic. If >100 or so people are interested
in getting a copy of his lists then it seems unlikely that Mr. Dippert
(or his site) would be able to send separate copies of many files.
I understand, and sympathize, with your position, but as someone
with much the same problem as Bill (i have a list of sf books of
size about 1/2 Meg to distribute) i can also understand his and the
many people (including myself) who wish to obtain a copy. Please
bear with us and exercise your right not to read his postings.

>[...] it's easy enough to go to the library and look in Books in Print.

    But you won't have it on-line, and that's what machines are
all about. I understand that Books in Print are computerized (one
would think so!) but either the lists aren't generally available or
you have to pay lots for it. The problem reduces to: how much can
the net be expected to subsidize a minority of its subscribers?
This was one of the two reasons i decided not to post (besides
the fact that the net would have been flooded for not weeks but
*months*).

    Perhaps Mr. Dippert can be persuaded to make the titles of
his postings distinctive in some way so that innocent bystanders
can better avoid them in future.

    greg.
--
gjerawlins%watdaisy@waterloo.csnet         1-519-884-3852 Gregory J. E. Rawlins
gjerawlins%watdaisy%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa       CS Dept., U. Waterloo

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (02/11/86)

Unfortunately, we're all forced to pay to RECEIVE those lists, if we want
to receive anything else in net.books, simply so that we can discard
them if we're not interested.  A subgroup net.books.lists might be
appropriate.  Frankly though, I'm not too sure what use these lists
really are--similar lists are available from public sources which
are much less expensive than sending such material around the net.
Just a personal opinion.

--Lauren--