[net.books] Dashiell Hammett Books

wrd@tekigm2.UUCP (Bill Dippert) (01/23/86)

Per requests:

HAMMETT, DASHIELL

     The Big Knockover
	  The Gutting of Couffignal (Continental Op)
	  Fly Paper (Continental Op)
	  The Scorched Face (Continental Op)
	  This King Business (Continental Op)
	  The Gatewood Caper (Continental Op)
	  Dead Yellow Women (Continental Op)
	  Corkscrew (Continental Op)
	  Tulip (?)(unfinished novel)
	  The Big Knockover (Continental Op)
	  $106,000 Blood Money (Continental Op)
     The Continental Op
	  The Tenth Clew (Continental Op)
	  The Golden Horseshoe (Continental Op)
	  The House In Turk Street (Continental Op)
	  The Girl With the Silver Eyes (Continental Op)
	  The Whosis Kid (Continental Op)
	  The Main Death (Continental Op)
	  The Farewell Murder (Continental Op)
     The Dain Curse (Continental Op)
     The Glass Key
     The Maltese Falcon (Sam Spade)
     A Man Called Spade (Sam Spade)
     Red Harvest (Continental Op)
     The Thin Man (Nick & Nora Charles)

Note: "The Glass Key" apparently is a totally unconnected novel, as is the
unfinished novel "Tulip".

As always corrections to:

tektronix!tekigm2!wrd

--Bill--

wrd@tekigm2.UUCP (Bill Dippert) (02/06/86)

Per additions sent me (see comments below):

HAMMETT, DASHIELL

     The Big Knockover [Vintage Books]
	  The Gutting of Couffignal (Continental Op)
	  Fly Paper (Continental Op)
	  The Scorched Face (Continental Op)
	  This King Business (Continental Op)
	  The Gatewood Caper (Continental Op)
	  Dead Yellow Women (Continental Op)
	  Corkscrew (Continental Op)
	  Tulip (?)(unfinished novel)
	  The Big Knockover (Continental Op)
	  $106,000 Blood Money (Continental Op)
     The Continental Op [Vintage Books]
	  The Tenth Clew (Continental Op)
	  The Golden Horseshoe (Continental Op)
	  The House In Turk Street (Continental Op)
	  The Girl With the Silver Eyes (Continental Op)
	  The Whosis Kid (Continental Op)
	  The Main Death (Continental Op)
	  The Farewell Murder (Continental Op)
     The Dain Curse (Continental Op) [Vintage Books]
     The Glass Key [Vintage Books]
     The Maltese Falcon (Sam Spade) [Perma Books/Vintage Books]
     A Man Called Spade (Sam Spade) [Dell Books]
	  A Man Called Spade
	  They Can Only Hang You Once
	  Too Many Have Lived
	  The Assistant Murderer
	  His Brother's Keeper
     Red Harvest (Continental Op) [Vintage Books]
     The Thin Man (Nick & Nora Charles) [Pocket Books/Vintage Books]

The following was sent to me by Geoff Loker of the University of Toronto
Department of Computer Science.  The listings he furnished are from a book
entitled "Shadow Man:  the Life of Dashiell Hammett" by Richard Lyman.  What
is interesting is that the book titles are for the most part different, whether
these are Canadian books or what I do not know.  What is more interesting is
that they list story titles not published to my knowledge in the States.  A
comparison of story titles shows a totally different arrangement, etc.  Since
these were published from 1944 on, they may reflect pre-McCarthy era before
Hammett was blacklisted as a Communist.  Any way, for what they are worth:

$106,000 Blood Money [Spivak 1943]
     The Big Knockover
     $106,000 Blood Money

The Adventures of Sam Spade & Other Stories [Spivak 1944]
     Too Many Have Lived
     They Can Only Hang You Once
     A Man Called Spade
     The Assistant Murderer
     Nightshade
     The Judge Laughed Last
     His Brother's Keeper

The Continental Op [Spivak 1945]
     Fly Paper
     Death On Pine Street
     Zigzags of Treachery
     The Farewell Murder

The Return of the Continental Op [Spivak 1945]
     The Whosis Kid
     The Gutting of Couffignal
     Death and Company
     One Hour
     The Tenth Clue

Hammett Homicides [Spivak 1946]
     The Main Death
     Two Sharp Knives
     Ruffian's Wife

Dead Yellow Women [Spivak 1946]
     Dead Yellow Women
     The Golden Horseshoe
     House Dick
     Who Killed Bob Teal?
     The Green Elephant
     The Hairy One

Nightmare Town [Spivak 1948]
     Nightmare Town
     The Scorched Face
     Albert Pastor at Home
     Corkscrew

The Creeping Siamese [Spivak 1950]
     The Creeping Siamese
     The Man Who Killed Dan Odams
     The Nails in Mr. Cayterer
     The Joke on Eloise Morey
     Tom, Dick or Harry
     This King Business

Woman in the Dark [Spivak 1951]
     Arson Plus
     Slippery Fingers
     The Black Hat That Wasn't There
     Woman in the Dark
     Afraid of a Gun
     Holiday
     The Man Who Stood in the Way

A Man Named Thin [Spivak 1962]
     A Man Named Thin
     Wages of Crime
     The Gatewood Caper
     The Barber and His Wife
     Itchy the Debonair
     The Second-Story Angel
     In the Morgue
     When Luck's Running Good

A couple of other books of his (that fall into miscellaneous) were:

Creeps By Night [John Day 1931] -- an anthology of wierd stories, edited
     by Hammett

Secret Agent X-9, Books One & Two [David McKay 1934] -- a two-volume
     collection of his comic strip

The Battle of the Aleutians [Adak, Alaska: Intelligence Section, Field
     Force Headquarters, Adak, 1944] by Hammett & Robert Colodny

The bibliography in Hammett's biography also had a list of his magazine
publications -- articles, stories, etc.

Can anyone else (Evelyn Leeper or ?) help out with what these books were/are?
Are there in fact some unpublished stories in the U.S. versions?
Comments, etc.:
tektronix!tekigm2!wrd
--Bill--

johnnyr@ihu1n.UUCP (John R. Rosenberg) (02/07/86)

Is anyone else getting sick to death of these pointless lists
of titles that Bill Dippert keeps sending out and which are flooding
this newsgroup. Sure, you can start by hitting the 'n' key a few
times, but lately he seems to account for ~75% of the traffic here.

I look to this newsgroup for timely and interesting reviews of
current books, or for interesting question and answer exchanges, not
for >100 line list of titles. If I really want to know the complete
body of work of any particular author, it's easy enough to go
to the libraryr and look in Books in Print.

Enough is Enough!!!!!

John Rosenberg  AT&T-NS
ihnp4!ihu1n!johnnyr

cipher@mmm.UUCP (Andre Guirard) (02/08/86)

In article <322@ihu1n.UUCP> johnnyr@ihu1n.UUCP (John R. Rosenberg) writes:
>Is anyone else getting sick to death of these pointless lists
>of titles that Bill Dippert keeps sending out...

I like them.  Of course I can't speak for everyone else.

>... If I really want to know the complete
>body of work of any particular author, it's easy enough to go
>to the library and look in Books in Print.

That works just fine... for books that are still in print.

I suggest Mr. Dippert include some distinctive character sequence in
future postings of this sort, so that Mr. Rosenberg can deposit a
command in his KILL file to junk them.
--

 /''`\						Andre Guirard
([]-[])						High Weasel

gkloker@utai.UUCP (Geoff Loker) (02/10/86)

In article <430@tekigm2.UUCP> wrd@tekigm2.UUCP (Bill Dippert) writes:

>The following was sent to me by Geoff Loker of the University of Toronto
>Department of Computer Science.  The listings he furnished are from a book
>entitled "Shadow Man:  the Life of Dashiell Hammett" by Richard Lyman.  What
>is interesting is that the book titles are for the most part different, whether
>these are Canadian books or what I do not know.  What is more interesting is
>that they list story titles not published to my knowledge in the States.  A
>comparison of story titles shows a totally different arrangement, etc.  Since
>these were published from 1944 on, they may reflect pre-McCarthy era before
>Hammett was blacklisted as a Communist.  Any way, for what they are worth:

    A list of Hammett books published by Spivak (all edited by Ellery Queen,
    by the way)

>Can anyone else (Evelyn Leeper or ?) help out with what these books were/are?
>Are there in fact some unpublished stories in the U.S. versions?

I guess a word of clarification is in order.

According to Lyman's bibliography of Hammett's works, the Spivak books
were only published in paperback (back in the days when the hardboiled
detective fiction wasn't respectable enough for hardcover?).  From the
look of the dates, it would appear that the publisher was trying to come
up with an annual collection of Hammett stories until they ran out.  It
also looks like Hammett's being blacklisted put an end to that idea.

After Hammett became respectable again (after his death, and after the
McCarthy scare died down), other collections of his short stories were
done, but for some strange reason a good number of the stories which
were collected in the Spivak books were put into the new collections.
Confusingly enough, at least one of the later collections ("The Continental
Op") was given the same title as a Spivak one, but the stories in it
weren't all the same.

Since the Spivak editions were paperback, they are probably very rare
now, and I would hazard a guess that none of them would be available
at a local library.  The later collections, being hardcover, define
what most of us know of Hammett's short stories, and, as Bill Dippert
pointed out, do not contain all of the stories that the Spivak books
did.

According to the bibliography in Lyman's book, Hammett wrote over
70 short stories (as well as a good amount of articles, etc.), so
the Spivak edition of Hammett's work doesn't even contain all his
short stories.  That means that there is a lot of uncollected Hammett
out there.  If only some publisher would collect it for us.

--
Geoff Loker
Department of Computer Science

USENET:	{ihnp4 decwrl utzoo uw-beaver}!utcsri!utai!gkloker
CSNET:		gkloker@toronto
ARPANET:	gkloker.toronto@csnet-relay

jim@randvax.UUCP (Jim Gillogly) (02/11/86)

In article <322@ihu1n.UUCP> johnnyr@ihu1n.UUCP (John R. Rosenberg) writes:
>Is anyone else getting sick to death of these pointless lists
>of titles that Bill Dippert keeps sending out and which are flooding
>this newsgroup.

No, it's just you.

>                              If I really want to know the complete
>body of work of any particular author, it's easy enough to go
>to the libraryr and look in Books in Print.

That doesn't work if the books aren't in print.  Having them all here handy
is a much more convenient way to find out if you've read the whole canon.

Keep it up, Bill!
--
        Jim Gillogly
        {decvax, vortex}!randvax!jim