[net.books] AUNT JULIA AND THE SCRIPT-WRITER by Vargas Llosa

ecl@mtgzz.UUCP (e.c.leeper) (02/09/86)

	    AUNT JULIA AND THE SCRIPTWRITER by Mario Vargas Llosa
			      Avon, 1985, $3.95.
		      A book review by Evelyn C. Leeper

     Vargas Llosa is Peru's leading novelist.  Since I just spent two weeks
in Peru, I though I would try the latest of his works to be translated into
English.  The plot revolves around Mario's infatuation with his Aunt (by
marriage) Julia.  The fact that she is much older than he, and divorced,
scandalizes the family.  As a comic novel, it's fairly low-key (though one
can imagine a filmmaker having great fun with the part where Mario and Julia
try to convince a drunken mayor to marry them), but for me, at least, its
value was more in giving me a glimpse of Peru (albeit the Peru of the
1950's).  People who like quiet humor may find it appealing.

					Evelyn C. Leeper
					...ihnp4!mtgzz!ecl

*	       Get a Usenetter on the ballot at Confederation!               *
*	Nominate MARK R. LEEPER for Hugo for Best Fan Writer in 1986!        *

rew@cbosgd.UUCP (Bob Warren) (02/11/86)

In article <1649@mtgzz.UUCP>, ecl@mtgzz.UUCP (e.c.leeper) writes:
> 	    AUNT JULIA AND THE SCRIPTWRITER by Mario Vargas Llosa
>        ...The plot revolves around Mario's infatuation with his Aunt (by
> marriage) Julia.  The fact that she is much older than he, and divorced,
> scandalizes the family.  As a comic novel, it's fairly low-key...

I read and enjoyed 'Aunt Julia...', and I must protest the characterization
of this book as one revolving around a December/May romance.  In fact,
there is a much more interesting plot going on simultaneously--in which
a soap opera scriptwriter gradually goes insane and in the process jumbles the
plots of the half-dozen radio dramas he is attempting to write.  I
enjoyed the interplay between the 'real-life' drama of the romance with
the soap opera 'realities' gradually disintegrating and re-forming into
bizarre combinations.  This book has some hilarious scenes, both within
and outside of the soap operas.  And if you're from Argentina, the
whole book should be ROT-13.

Bob Warren
cbosgd!rew

citrin@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Wayne Citrin) (02/12/86)

In article <1649@mtgzz.UUCP> ecl@mtgzz.UUCP (e.c.leeper) writes:

>	    AUNT JULIA AND THE SCRIPTWRITER by Mario Vargas Llosa
>			      Avon, 1985, $3.95.
>		      A book review by Evelyn C. Leeper
>
>     Vargas Llosa is Peru's leading novelist.  Since I just spent two weeks
>in Peru, I though I would try the latest of his works to be translated into
>English.

"Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter" is not the latest of his works to be
translated into English.  (Perhaps it is the latest in an English language
paperback edition.)  He has a brand new novel out whose name I forget
(see the front page review in the NY Times Book Review of 2/2/86),
and about a year ago he published an English language edition of his
previous book, "The War at the End of the World."  I read that and
recommend it.

Wayne Citrin
(ucbvax!citrin)