[net.books] Sherlock Holmes Canon

credmond@watmath.UUCP (Chris Redmond) (02/13/86)

In article <353@tekigm2.UUCP> wrd@tekigm2.UUCP (Bill Dippert) writes:
>This is a listing of the stories of the original canon, except as noted.
>Because of various editions, etc., some of these listings may be duplicated
>and in the case of the so-called complete collections, I have not listed
>all of the titles contained therein.

Bill quite correctly listed the four novels (A Study in Scarlet, The
Sign of the Four, The Hound of the Baskervilles, The Valley of Fear)
and the short stories which appeared in three of the five collections
(the Adventures, the Memoirs, the Case Book).

He mentioned the other two collections, but did not itemize the stories:

The Return of Sherlock Holmes: The Empty House, The Norwood Builder,
The Dancing Men, The Solitary Cyclist, The Priory School, Black Peter,
Charles Augustus Milverton, The Six Napoleons, The Three Students,
The Golden Pince-Nez, The Missing Three-Quarter, The Abbey Grange,
The Second Stain.

His Last Bow:  Wisteria Lodge, The Cardboard Box, The Red Circle,
The Bruce-Partington Plans, The Dying Detective, Lady Frances Carfax,
The Devil's Foot, His Last Bow.

Total 4 novels, 56 short stories.

Bill also mentioned two collections -- The SH Pocket Book and
Tales of SH -- which include various of these stories. There are
a great many more such random collections, published either wit
or without Doyle's consent, but the standard edition consists of
those nine volumes.

>The following is included even though not written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
>My understanding of these is that they are stories based on notes left by
>Sir Arthur which had never been completed, although some of the stories were
>created from whole cloth.  Because of this, I also list these in my Sherlock
>Holmes related stories list.
>
>The Exploits of Sherlock Holmes (by Adrian Conan Doyle and John Dickson Carr)

There is no evidence, as far as I know, that Adrian Conan Doyle and
his collaborator based these stories on notes left by Arthur Conan
Doyle (Adrian's father). They're not as bad as most recent takeoffs,
but not as good as the originals, and certainly not authentic.

(Factual statements based on my years of Sherlockian research, not
to mention the Gibson and Green bibliography of Doyle.  Opinions
based on the same source, plus my crotchety brain.)

There will be a Sherlock Holmes weekend in Toronto in June; I will
be glad to send information to anybody who requests it.  (Would also
be glad to try to update the Sherlockians-on-the-net list which
I assembled a couple of years ago.)

CAR