[net.books] Net.books Discussion

wrd@tekigm2.UUCP (Bill Dippert) (02/21/86)

As promised earlier, here is a summary of the responses to date on the
discussion over having lists of books sent over the net to net.books.  I have
cross posted this to net.sf-lovers as I have also sent some of the lists to
that group as well.

As far as including a speical character in the title, I always title them as so
and so's Book List or Book List (Revised), etc.  I have cut back the posting to
once a week on Saturday or Sunday.

For what it's worth (LONG LISTING FOLLOWS):

Just wanted to let you know that I appreciate your posting those
lists of books by different authors.  Since your articles
usually have the header: So-and-so's books ..., those that
want to skip the item can do so, without rancor.  I think you
are doing all of us bibliophiles a favor.  Thanks again.
K. Oka
Please continue the book lists. Most non-collectors
do not understand the difficulty in finding a good
list or its value.
 Donald C. Martin,  phone (206) 543 1044
For what it's worth, I think the lists are useful and the reviews mostly
boring.
Larry Kohn
	Thanks for the bibs you've posted so far. If only I had them
when I was writing my papers...
Bill Hsu
Just read a posting objecting to your book lists.  I hope you don't
stop: I think your lists are the best thing on the net. You seem to
collect the same authors I do, and these lists save me some work.
You must get pro and con mail -- add me to the pro list.
I appreciate the time and effort you take deriving and posting these lists,
but when you have revisions, could you post just the 'diff' between the
original and the update. It would cut way down on net volume (no pun
intended, but you take 'em where you can get 'em, right :-)), and those
postings could be used by us to update the lists we've already saved off.
Just a thought, and thanks for the lists, really.
Diane Holt
At the risk of flooding the group with "me too" articles, I, too would
like to say that I greatly appreciate the lists of books, and would like
to see them continue.  Keep it up Bill!
=Spencer
Just a note:  I am not interested in any of the lists (now that I have
the complete, up-to-date, all-inclusive Holmes listing, that is), but
I have no problem "n"ing past them.  By only sending them out once a week,
you'll hopefully remove the fangs from those who only want to see their
own interests posted to the net.
Thank you for all the hard work:
blues, II
I personally don't mind your posting book lists, though I don't
read them. The solution I favour is to put a distinctive word in
the subject line. People who don't want to see the book lists can
put an entry for that word in their kill files.
	-peter
	Add my vote in FAVOR of book lists.  And of occasional
revisions.  And of the 'n' key, nature's anodyne.
Regards,
Chris
Could you please put in a distinctive marker?  I don't mind your posting
them, but I don't like to read them, and I would like to silently skip
the lists via rn.
Thanx.
Eric C. Brown
In article <322@ihu1n.UUCP> johnnyr@ihu1n.UUCP (John R. Rosenberg) writes:
>Is anyone else getting sick to death of these pointless lists
>of titles that Bill Dippert keeps sending out and which are flooding
>this newsgroup.
No, it's just you.
>                              If I really want to know the complete
>body of work of any particular author, it's easy enough to go
>to the libraryr and look in Books in Print.
That doesn't work if the books aren't in print.  Having them all here handy
is a much more convenient way to find out if you've read the whole canon.
Keep it up, Bill!
	Jim Gillogly
Keep those book lists comming!
John Oswalt
>STOP THE BOOK LISTS!
Why?  This IS net.books, and many of us are interested in reading other
titles by our favorite authors.  The book lists ARE long, but the 'n'
key is available, as well as the option of updating your local 'Kill'
file.
What belongs in net.books, other than book lists and reviews?  If enough
people feel as you do, perhaps a division into net.books.reviews and
net.books.lists is warranted, but (and this is of course my own
opinion) I don't think so.
Of course, the daily revisions to the book lists (:-) could be cut
down to weekly...
I like to get complete lists of books of favourite authors, although I
usually want more information than simple the titles.  Anyone who has
ever tried to compile such a list knows just what a bear it can be.
(Hours of drudgery in Encyclopaedias, Biographies, Bibliographies, etc.)
So I vote to keep 'em coming; and anyone who has other pretty complete
lists feel free to post them.  And anyone who thinks there's something
trivial about doing the compilation, just try to do Joseph Conrad, or
Robert Louis Stevenson, or Anthony Trollope, or Dr. Johnson (the greatest
man who ever lived), or ...
				Peace and Good!,
				      Fr. John Woolley
"Compared to what I have seen, all that I have written is straw." -- St. Thomas
> STOP THE BOOK LISTS!
I like the book lists.
	-ed falk
I'd like to express my enthusiasm for continuation of the book lists
and my thanks to those who have contributed them and helped with
additions and corrections. I think there are many of us who enjoy
bibliography and net.books seems to be a particularly apt medium for the
exchange of such information.
Bibliography is not a trivial art and these lists are NOT easily found
in public libraries, particularly with respect to very recently published
books, out of print books, pseudonymous works, and those with title changes
or that have appeared only in omnibus editions.
Michael C. Berch
Thanks,
--Bill--