[net.books] Quote source needed - "Only the dead know Brooklyn"

shallit@gargoyle.UUCP (Jeff Shallit) (02/25/86)

In article <11987@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> citrin@ucbvax.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Wayne Citrin) writes:
>I need the original source for the following quote:
>
>   "Only the <something> know Brooklyn."
>
>I've seen it three times in the last few months, the first time in a
>Mark Helprin piece in the NY Times Magazine as "Only the dead know
>Brooklyn," and twice in this week's NY Times Book Review.  In the
>book review it appeared once as above as the title of a new mystery,
>and once in a similar form as the title of another review.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Wayne Citrin
>(ucbvax!citrin)

Well, I'm not sure if it's the original quote, but there is a short
story by the American writer Thomas Wolfe (1900-1938) called
"Only the Dead Know Brooklyn".  It is contained in the book
Thomas Wolfe - Short Stories.

Thomas Wolfe is NOT to be confused with his inferior namesake,
Tom Wolfe.

Jeff Shallit
University of Chicago

krantz@csd2.UUCP (Michaelntz) (02/25/86)

> Thomas Wolfe is NOT to be confused with his inferior namesake,
> Tom Wolfe.

> Jeff Shallit

Conversely, it might be put that Tom Wolfe is not to be confused
with his overrated and overwritten namesake, Thomas Wolfe.

I'm not sure I'd say that, though.  But I'm not sure I wouldn't
either.  Thomas Wolfe's books are overwrought and overwritten to
the point of pain.  But he is a great writer, I must to my dismay
confess - certainly of higher stature than Tom Wolfe.  I retract
my remark.  What am I doing, anyway?  Who invited me here?  Where
am I?  What's going on?  HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(A screaming comes across the sky...)

- Thomas Pynchon (writing as michael krantz)