[net.books] Barth's THE SOT-WEED FACTOR

wendyt@pyramid.UUCP (Wendy Thrash) (03/04/86)

_The Sot-Weed Factor_ was my introduction to Barth.  The first hundred
pages or so were rough sledding, but well worth it -- it remains the
funniest book I've ever read.

BTW, I read the book several years ago because I thought I remembered
hearing someone do an interview with Bill Walton in which someone asked
one of those, "Who would you like to be...," questions, and he replied
"Henry Burlingame."  Did anyone else hear this, or was I the victim
of some strange, drug-induced fantasy.  Should I have posted this to
net.sport.hoops? :-)

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (03/04/86)

> From:	brl-smoke!floyd

> I am curious about anyone's comments about John Barth.  I got a copy
> of "The Sot-Weed Factor" in the same way.  Having not had enough time
> to read either of them (time..   I never have the time to read all
> the stuff I would like to) I am interested to find out if I should
> make the effort sooner.

I first read Barth in college when my professor for my Colonial America
course assigned us THE SOT-WEED FACTOR (he thought reading a novel about
the times would be as worthwhile as yet another history book). I didn't
know what to expect from the book and I enjoyed it thoroughly. It's
worth your while to read it, and is more "accessible" than Pynchon or
Vonnegut.
	I've since read CHIMERA and GILES, GOAT-BOY and liked those two
as well. I've got copies of THE FLOATING OPERA and END OF THE ROAD, but
haven't as yet gotten to them, nor have I managed to re-read SOT-WEED,
which I have promised myself to do one of these days.

That same professor, for a different class (Revolutionary America), also
assigned ARUNDEL by Kenneth Roberts, which led to a "love affair" with
his books as well.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}
	!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.DEC.COM