[net.books] Barth

gsmith@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Gene Ward Smith) (03/07/86)

In article <672@steinmetz.UUCP> putnam@kbsvax.UUCP (jefu) writes:

>I liked "The Sot Weed Factor".  I think it is worth reading sooner.  This
>does not so so much for the rest of Barth, which gets very difficult with
>not a lot of reward.  I once heard someone say that he expected nobody
>to actually finish "Giles Goat Boy" and he thought it might be better
>that way.  From an english professor, that was amusing.

   Hey, I *like* "Giles Goat Boy". Keep thinking I might re-read it, in
fact. Nor is it "difficult". I would say, it's too easy. The allegory is
a little heavy-handed, which is the main problem with it.

   "Hagiography recapitulates proctology" -- Giles Goat Boy.

ucbvax!brahms!gsmith    Gene Ward Smith/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720
"The *evident* character of this defective cognition of which mathematics
is proud, and on which it plumes itself before philosophy, rests solely on
the poverty of its purpose and the defectiveness of its stuff, and is therefore
of a kind that philosophy must spurn." -- G. W. F. Hegel