[net.books] Dorothy L. Sayers Books

wrd@tekigm2.UUCP (Bill Dippert) (01/17/86)

Can anyone help me on the following two books?  I am looking for information
as to whether they were ever published in paperback (or in hardback for that
matter).

      Murder for Pleasure (unknown as to whether this is actually a Sayers
			   book, I have read that it was with no confirmation)
      Talboys (this supposedly was found as a manuscript after her death)

			       --Bill--
                        tektronix!tekigm2!wrd

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) (01/20/86)

In article <354@tekigm2.UUCP> wrd@tekigm2.UUCP (Bill Dippert) writes:
>Can anyone help me on the following two books?  I am looking for information
>as to whether they were ever published in paperback (or in hardback for that
>matter).
>      Murder for Pleasure (unknown as to whether this is actually a Sayers
>			   book, I have read that it was with no confirmation).

Hmm... I've never heard of it, which means that it is probably a) not one of
the Lord Peter Wimsey stories (like The Documents in the Case) or it is the
continous rumor of Sayers last, uncompleted Wimsey novel which never got
published.  It hasn't appeared out of the blue yet;  it seems Sayer's was
quite busy writing religious theory until her death.

>      Talboys (this supposedly was found as a manuscript after her death)

I think that this is printed in the latest revisions of _Lord_Peter_, the
collection of all the Lord Peter Wimsey short stories.  Fun, as it is not
much of a mystery, but a pleasant reunion with Peter, Harriet, the Talboys
estate and Mr. Puffet, and introduces the Wimsey boys.

                  "The man pervades London, and no one has heard of him."

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
ARPA: fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA
UUCP: {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, sb6, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty

wrd@tekigm2.UUCP (Bill Dippert) (01/23/86)

Per requests:

SAYERS, DOROTHY L.

Lord Peter Death Bredon Wimsey:
-------------------------------
     Busman's Honeymoon
     Clouds of Witness
     The Documents in the Case
     The Five Red Herrings
     Gaudy Night
     Hangman's Holiday
     The Haunted Policeman (also in Wright)
     Have His Carcase
     In the Teeth of Evidence
     Lord Peter (U.S. collection)
     Lord Peter Views the Body
     Murder for Pleasure (may be a spurious title)
     Murder Must Advertise
     The Nine Tailors
     Striding Folly (English collection)
     Strong Poison
     Suspicious Characters
     Talboys (never independently published, in Lord Peter & Striding Folly)
     Thrones, Dominations (unpublished)
     Unnatural Death (aka The Dawson Pedigree)
     The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club
     Whose Body?

There may be English title variations that I am not aware of.

Corrections, etc. to:
tektronix!tekigm2!wrd
--Bill--

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) (01/26/86)

In article <377@tekigm2.UUCP> wrd@tekigm2.UUCP (Bill Dippert) writes:
>Lord Peter Death Bredon Wimsey:
>-------------------------------
>[...]
>     Thrones, Dominations (unpublished)

Unpublished AND probably unwritten, correct?  Or do they have an unedited
manuscript sitting around somewhere, waiting to be fleshed out?

If it does exist, however, and is even a shade of something as well-written
as _Gaudy_Night_ (the only intelligent romance novel about very intelligent
people I've ever read, and a good mystery to boot), it deserves to see the
light of day...

				"Placetne, magistra?"
				"Placet."

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
ARPA: fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA
UUCP: {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, sb6, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty

djo@ptsfd.UUCP (Dan'l Oakes) (03/13/86)

Uh, that's a useful sort of list you've got there, but the Wimsey stories
(unlike most series detective stories) have a functional order.  Maybe you, or
some expert, could repost the list for those of us who know there's an order but
ain't sure what it i?
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes