[net.books] Richard Bach's 'Illusions'

west@sdics.UUCP (Larry West) (03/13/86)

In article <156@minnie.UUCP> chris@minnie.UUCP (Chris Grevstad) writes:
>  anich@puff.UUCP (Steve Anich) says:
>  >
>  >	I was told that when Beck's book Illusions was
>  >published, many people committed suicide. Is there any
>  >truth to that? His books are wierd, but not that wierd.
>  the role Bach's book in recent teenage suicides.
>
>  	Wasn't there a similar phenomenom concerning a song named
>  Blue Monday, or something like that?  I may have the song wrong but I do
>  recall hearing about the occurence.

The song was "Gloomy Sunday", sung by Billy Holiday.    It's not
quite as powerful as it's reputation, but I can see how it may
have affected people.   Worth buying.

Blue Monday is something else, I think related to an old
soap commercial and/or a tradition that washing was done
on Mondays.   It's also part of the alternate title of
one of Vonnegut's more recent books, perhaps Deadeye Dick.
And it appears in a few old songs (from the 20's and 30's).
--

Larry West				USA+619-452-6771
Institute for Cognitive Science		non-business hrs: 452-2256

UUCP:	{ucbvax,ihnp4,sdcrdcf,decvax,gatech}!sdcsvax!sdics!west
ARPA:	<west@nprdc.ARPA>	or	<west@ucsd.ARPA>
DOMAIN:	<west@nprdc.mil>	or	<west@csl.ucsd.edu>

soren@reed.UUCP (Soren Petersen) (03/15/86)

In article <157@sdics.UUCP> west@sdics.UUCP (Larry West) writes:
>In article <156@minnie.UUCP> chris@minnie.UUCP (Chris Grevstad) writes:
>>  anich@puff.UUCP (Steve Anich) says:
>>  >
>>  >	I was told that when Beck's book Illusions was
>>  >published, many people committed suicide. Is there any
>>  >truth to that? His books are wierd, but not that wierd.
>>  the role Bach's book in recent teenage suicides.
>>
>>  	Wasn't there a similar phenomenom concerning a song named
>>  Blue Monday, or something like that?  I may have the song wrong but I do
>>  recall hearing about the occurence.
>
>The song was "Gloomy Sunday", sung by Billy Holiday.    It's not
>quite as powerful as it's reputation, but I can see how it may
>have affected people.   Worth buying.
>
>Blue Monday is something else, I think related to an old
>soap commercial and/or a tradition that washing was done
>on Mondays.
>
>Larry West

That's kind of interesting since there is a recent rock record
called "Blue Monday" by a group called New Order who used to be
called Joy Division before the lead singer committed suicide--on a
Monday as I recall. . .
--

			Have A Nice Day,
				Soren Petersen