[net.books] Just an innocent question about murder

chris@minnie.UUCP (Chris Grevstad) (03/12/86)

Just a small question, really.  I was watching an old Hitchcock episode
last night and the story was predictably about murder.  Specifically,
the murder of a wife by her husband.  It caused me to consider that almost
all such stories invariably end up in a kicker of some sort which involves
a unique or unusual manner in which the killer gets caught.

I was just wondering if you can think of a story in which the kicker is that
the husband actually regrets killing his wife because he deeply misses her
and wishes she were alive again?

Just curious.

--
	Chris Grevstad
	{sdcsvax,hplabs}!sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!chris

   "No, I'll tell you the truth.  She was a striptease dancer.  I saw
    her first in an obscene movie, one of those things in obscenacolor.
    Naked of course. They had a Kodiak bear strapped to a table, muzzled..."

holloway@drivax.UUCP (Bruce Holloway) (03/17/86)

In article <157@minnie.UUCP> chris@minnie.UUCP (Chris Grevstad) writes:
>I was just wondering if you can think of a story in which the kicker is that
>the husband actually regrets killing his wife because he deeply misses her
>and wishes she were alive again?

No, but there's a song by Tom Lehrer that expresses that noble sentiment. It
goes something like this:

		"I HOLD YOUR HAND IN MINE, DEAR"
			by Tom Lehrer

		I hold your hand in mine, dear;
		I press it to my lips;
		I take a healthy bite from
		Your dainty fingertips.

		The night you died, I cut if off,
		I really don't know why;
		For now each time I kiss it,
		I get bloodstains on my tie.

		I'm sorry now I killed you,
		For our love was something fine;
		Until they come to get me,
		I will hold you hand in mine.

|Whatever I write are not the opinions or policies of Digital Research, Inc.,|
|and probably won't be in the foreseeable future.                            |

Bruce Holloway

....!ucbvax!hplabs!amdahl!drivax!holloway
(I'm not THAT Bruce Holloway, I'm the other one.)