[net.music] Music magazines

allred@AMSAA.ARPA ( RAMD-STU ) (02/25/85)

    I would like to hear all your opinions on music magazines.  I
would like to subscribe to one but I don't know which would best
satisfy me.  My likes fall very heavily into the early 70' heavy
intellectual type rock.  Examples are: Yes, Genesis, Grateful Dead,
Rush, Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, The Who,
The Rolling Stones, etc.  I also like a few of the pop chart bands
of 1985.  I would like to get a magazine which tells concert schedules
for my area(I live halfway between Baltimore and Philadelphia), tells
of new releases before they come out.  Reviews the releases when they
do come out, tells news about what old bands are doing and what bands
are forming, and would have interviews with some of the intelligient
people in the rock business.  I've read Rolling Stone and it talks
too much about Lauper and Prince and their clothes, etc. a little
too much for me.  I want to read about the people claiming to be
musicians and not entertainers, only.  Hopefully somebody out there
can understand where my interest lies and what magazine could fill
my needs.  If you know alot about these magazines, but don't feel
that I gave you enough info. then please write to me (allred@AMSAA).
Many thanx in advance.

jeff

chrisb@haddock.UUCP (02/28/85)

To: net.music
--------

   One good magazine that I happened to find was one called "Matter", from
New Jersey.  It covers mainly "non-commercial" bands, mostly American         ;y American
conglomerations which up until recently have been restricted to a local
area but are now attempting to achieve some kind of national recognition.
The thing that caught my eye was a cover pic of Peter Holsapple of the
dB's, a great but largely unnoticed band from New York.  It also had a
(bizzare) interview with Robin Hitchcock, leader of the also great but
unnoticed band the Soft Boys from Britain. Sample quote: "my fostex
[tape recorder] is small, about the size of the empire state building if
the empire state building were reduced to the size of a fostex."  Quite
the weirdo. But writes great songs. The mag also had an article about the
"Butthole Surfers" (name of the year award?), a quaint little outfit from
San Antonio, Texas.  Good rag, but may be hard to find.

--------

sbt@cbosgd.UUCP (Shirley B. Tobias) (03/04/85)

>    One good magazine that I happened to find was one called "Matter", from
> New Jersey.
> Good rag, but may be hard to find.

     It may be hard to find if your local record emporium fails to
     stock a wide variety of fanzines--true.  I've found that the
     best way to get ahold of "obscure" publications is to write to
     them directly.  _Matter_ is quite "slick"-looking to call a
     fanzine, but they do cover a very wide variety of independent/
     obscure/new/underground music.  Another of their qualities I've
     found endearing is the eclectic nature of the staff's tastes.
     They have a section of reviews of "new and noted" records, in
     which 4 or more reviewers give their comments for each record.
     Another thing that makes _Matter_ essential is contributor
     Steve Albini (of Chicago's Big Black)--his "Tired of Ugly Fat?"
     column is sure to get a rise out of everyone one way or another!
     Hardly anyone could agree with him 100% of the time, but he's
     an entertaining and coherent, albeit controversial, writer.

     You can write directly to _Matter_ at the following address.
     Issues are about $2.00 (for a single sample) and a six-issue
     subscription is around $10.00 (check this)--it appears bi-monthly.

			Matter Magazine
			P.O. Box 1060
			Hoboken, NJ  07030

     Anyone else have any favorite fanzines they'd like to plug?

     #                                     Shirley Tobias                #
     #                                     ihnp4!cbosgd!sbt              #
     #                                     Bell Labs, Columbus, OH       #
     #                                                                   #
     #         "I'm looking for the joke with a microscope. . "          #
     #                                                                   #

gtaylor@lasspvax.UUCP (Greg Taylor) (03/04/85)

In article <> chrisb@haddock.UUCP writes:

>   One good magazine that I happened to find was one called "Matter", from
>New Jersey.

WRONGO. Matter comes out of the student run radio station at Northwestern
University-or rather, all the *writers* do or did. Nice magazine if and
when you can find it. They have what must certainly be the most horrible
distribution ever cobbled together. One bright note that's all but missing
nowadays is that Steve Albini used to write for them when they started. I
heard through some mutual acquaintances that he stopped. Prbably when they
went upscale, I'll bet.

Greg Taylor (midwestern expatriate)