[net.books] greek myths books

nancy@sdcc3.UUCP (Nancy ) (03/10/86)

Does anyone know any good books about the Greek Myths?
I love reading the stories, as does my boyfriend, but
we've already read the two books I own many times. I'd like
both adult versions and kid versions.
Thanks in advance,
Nancy

--
ucbvax!sdcsvax!sdcc3!nancy

john@cisden.UUCP (John Woolley) (03/11/86)

In article <3185@sdcc3.UUCP> nancy@sdcc3.UUCP (Nancy ) writes:
>Does anyone know any good books about the Greek Myths?
>I love reading the stories ...

Me, too.  Here are some of my very favourites.  I won't include Roman
things, but some of them are exquisite.  All of these can be found in
English.  This is nothing like a complete list.

	Homer		_Iliad_ and _Odyssey_, 2 very different books, best
			sellers for 2700 years.  John Dryden's translation
			is classic, and very good.
	Hesiod		_Works_and_Days_ and _Theogony_ (not _Theogony_and_
			Theecstasy_, which is very different).  Penguin has
			a good translation out, by whom I don't remember.
	Aeschylus	If a dramatic treatment of Greek myths appeals, here
	Sophocles	are the only Greek dramatists whose work has come
	Euripides	down to us.  Really good if you like these things.
	Appolonius Rhodius
			_The_Argonautica_ (a.k.a. _The_Voyage_of_Argo_), a
			really great epic about Jason and company.  Again,
			Penguin's version is fine.
	Ovid (Publius Ovidius Naso)
			_Metamorphoses_.  Yeah, I know he's a Roman, but I
			couldn't resist.  You shouldn't, either.
	Virgil (Publius Virgilius Maro)
			_Aeneid_.  (Well, they start in Greece ...)  The recent
			translation by Fitzgerald is really good, but I still
			like Dryden's best.
	Seneca		A philosopher, but he wrote plays modelled in part on
			the old Greek drama, and using Greek material.  _Medea_
			is very good.
	The Pearl Poet	_Sir_Orfeo_.  This is an exquisite Middle English poem
			about Orpheus.  The same author's _Sir_Gawain_and_the_
			_Greene_Knight_ is one of the finest of all English
			poems.  These are hard (but possible) to read in the
			original, because they're in a strange dialect, but
			J.R.R. Tolkien of happy memory translated them very
			well into Modern English.
	G. Chaucer	_Troilus_and_Criseyde_.  To my mind, better than
	W. Shakespeare	_Troilus_and_Cressida_, which is still real good.  It
			really is worth the effort -- I guarantee it, money
			back -- to read Chaucer in Middle English.  He's one
			of our very greatest poets.  (Like second best.)
	J.-B. Racine	Great French dramatist, wrote plays on Greek mythic
			themes.  In particular I recommend _Phaedra_ and
			_Iphigenia_, but all his stuff's good.  If you read
			French, do it in this case.
	T. Bulfinch	_The_Age_of_Fable_.  This has two companion volumes
			that aren't about Greece at all, but are good.  The
			whole set bears the title _Bulfinch's_Mythology_.
	C. S. Lewis	_Till_We_Have_Faces_.  This is Cupid and Psyche, told
			in a fairly realistic way from the viewpoint of
			Psyche's ugly sister.  A *really wonderful* book.

I'm sure that as soon as I post this I'll think of five more.  Oh, well.
Good reading!
--
				Peace and Good!,
				      Fr. John Woolley

mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (Tom Keller) (03/12/86)

In article <3185@sdcc3.UUCP>, nancy@sdcc3.UUCP writes:
> Does anyone know any good books about the Greek Myths?
> I love reading the stories, as does my boyfriend, but
> we've already read the two books I own many times. I'd like
> both adult versions and kid versions.
> Thanks in advance,
> Nancy

  Nancy, I don't mean to pick nits (hah!), but do you mean that you are
interested in books ABOUT Greek myths, or books OF Greek myths?  There *IS*
a difference.

--

====================================

Disclaimer:  I hereby disclaim any and all responsibility for disclaimers.

tom keller
{ihnp4, dual}!ptsfa!gilbbs!mc68020

(* we may not be big, but we're small! *)

sara@mhuxj.UUCP (TRIGS) (03/12/86)

> Does anyone know any good books about the Greek Myths?
> I love reading the stories, as does my boyfriend, but
> we've already read the two books I own many times. I'd like
> both adult versions and kid versions.
> Thanks in advance,

To: ucbvax!sdcsvax!sdcc3!nancy
Subject: re:Greek myths

Probably the best way to get at the Greek myths is to read them in
the original written sources-i.e., works like THE ILIAD and THE ODYSSEY,
the Greek dramas and a number of ancient lyrics. Most "mythology" books
are really drawing on these sources. If you are relatively new to poetry,
try to find something readable in this generation. Thus you should avoid
things like Alexander Pope's brilliant but very 18th cent. translation
of THE ILIAD (the Elizabethan Chapman translation is better if you insist
on a historical translation). It is also misleading to read a prose
translation (e.g. S.Butler's), as these things were, after all, conceived
and executed as poems and not novels. Among the good 20th cent. translations
are Richard Lattimore's ILIAD and Robert Fitzgerald's ODYSSEY. There are
quite a few decent translations of the plays including an OEDIPUS REX
by no less a poet than Yeats. If you want some good scholarly books on
the myths, I would recomend THE HERO WITH A THOUSAND FACES by Joseph
Campbell and THE GREEK MYTHS by Michael Grant. Bullfinch, of course,
is still valuable as a reference. Good hunting! Let me know if you find
what you are looking for.   Regards, Jeffery Triggs
p.s. THE ODYSSEY, which some scholars claim might have been written by
a woman, is the more readable of the epics.

credmond@watmath.UUCP (Chris Redmond) (03/13/86)

>Probably the best way to get at the Greek myths is to read them in
>the original written sources-i.e., works like THE ILIAD and THE ODYSSEY,
>the Greek dramas and a number of ancient lyrics. Most "mythology" books
>are really drawing on these sources. If you are relatively new to poetry,
>try to find something readable in this generation. Thus you should avoid
>things like Alexander Pope's brilliant but very 18th cent. translation
>of THE ILIAD (the Elizabethan Chapman translation is better if you insist
>on a historical translation). It is also misleading to read a prose
>translation (e.g. S.Butler's), as these things were, after all, conceived

A particularly important collection of myths is Ovid's METAMORPHOSES,
which is also available in some good modern English translations.

cjh@petsd.UUCP (Chris Henrich) (03/13/86)

[]
In article <3185@sdcc3.UUCP> Nancy writes:
>Does anyone know any good books about the Greek Myths?
>I love reading the stories, as does my boyfriend, but
>we've already read the two books I own many times. I'd like
>both adult versions and kid versions.

_The King Must Die_ and _The Bull From the Sea_, by Mary
Renault, are two very fine historical novels about Theseus.
All the marvels are there, and in such a way that it really
*could* have happened.  And the writing is excellent.

_Hercules, My Shipmate_, by Robert Graves, is about the
Argonauts.  I remember liking it, but not as much as Mary
Renault's novels.

Regards,
Chris

--
Full-Name:  Christopher J. Henrich
UUCP:       ...!hjuxa!petsd!cjh

ph@wucec2.UUCP (03/15/86)

In article <729@petsd.UUCP> cjh@petsd.UUCP (Chris Henrich) writes:
>In article <3185@sdcc3.UUCP> Nancy writes:
>>Does anyone know any good books about the Greek Myths? . . .
>
>_Hercules, My Shipmate_, by Robert Graves, is about the
>Argonauts. . . .

	    In addition, Graves has a two-volume work, THE GREEK MYTHS,
	which I must admit I have not read but have glanced through.
	From my experience of Graves' immense scholarship in other
	works, though (the historical appendices to works like HERCULES,
	MY SHIPMATE and KING JESUS are most impressive), I have no
	qualms about recommending it.  Warning: it may seem rather dry
	at times, since he is careful to note variant versions and
	sources and other such scholarly matters in addition to telling
	the story of the myths.
						--pH
/*
 *	    "Ho, ho!  I hit her every time!"
 */

hapke@ccvaxa.UUCP (03/18/86)

An earlier poster mentioned the Middle English poem Sir Orfeo and said that
it was written by the author of Gawain and the Green Knight.  The Gawain poet
did not write Sir Orfeo, although the poem is worth reading.

The story of Troilus and Cressida is not really a Greek myth, although the
it is set in the Trojan war.  It is a late medieval story that was first
told by Boccaccio, I think.  The high Middle Ages produced large numbers of
stories set in ancient Greece;  Alexander the Great was a favorite topic.
Most of these are not worth reading.

If you like Chaucer's Troilus and Criseyde, try reading Robert Henryson's
Testament of Cresseid.  The language is more difficult than Chaucer's, but
manageable if you have some experience with Middle English.

Warren Hapke
Gould CSD, Urbana office
uiucdcs!ccvaxa!hapke

phoenix@genat.UUCP (phoenix) (03/19/86)

In article <3185@sdcc3.UUCP> nancy@sdcc3.UUCP (Nancy ) writes:
>Does anyone know any good books about the Greek Myths?
>I love reading the stories, as does my boyfriend, but
>we've already read the two books I own many times. I'd like
>both adult versions and kid versions.
>Thanks in advance,
>Nancy

The most comprehensive book on Greek myths that I know of is the two
volume set:  *The Greek Myths* by Robert Graves, author of
*I, Claudius*, *The White Goddess*, etc., etc.  The mythology book
is available from Penguin Books Canada, Ltd.
		  41 Steelcase Road West
     		  Markham, Ontario
		  Canada.
The price (in Canuck bucks, of course) i$
$2.95.
Nb., although the publishers are Penguin Books, the actual published
book is a *Pelican Book*.

--
					The Phoenix
					(Neither Bright, Dark, nor Young)

---"A man should live forever...or die trying."
---"There is no substitute for good manners...except fast reflexes."