[net.books] Book Titles Wanted

johnr@copper.UUCP (John Rutis) (03/07/86)

I am looking for titles and authors of three
Childrens books:

1. Several Australian kids are flying to a station
   in a private plane when the pilot dies.  They
   have to land the plane & survive.

2. A boy runs away from home and spends a year or so
   in Shakespere's acting company.

3. Two or three kids are on summer holiday in a
   coastal town in Britain and run into magic and
   villians while searching for an artifact from
   the days of King Arthur (I think).  Mysterious
   standing stones, caves, & sailboat.

Thanks,

John Rutis

chmorris@watrose.UUCP (chmorris) (03/10/86)

In article <214@copper.UUCP> johnr@copper.UUCP (John Rutis) writes:
>I am looking for titles and authors of three
>Childrens books:
>3. Two or three kids are on summer holiday in a
>   coastal town in Britain and run into magic and
>   villians while searching for an artifact from
>   the days of King Arthur (I think).  Mysterious
>   standing stones, caves, & sailboat.
	Try "Over Sea and Under Stone" by Susan Cooper; it is the first of
a series of 5 books, and well worth reading even if it isn't the one you
meant, but it does fit all you say.

Corinne Morris

djo@ptsfd.UUCP (Dan'l Oakes) (03/13/86)

In article <214@copper.UUCP>, johnr@copper.UUCP (John Rutis) writes:
> I am looking for titles and authors of three
> Childrens books:
> 3. Two or three kids are on summer holiday in a
>    coastal town in Britain and run into magic and
>    villians while searching for an artifact from
>    the days of King Arthur (I think).  Mysterious
>    standing stones, caves, & sailboat.

John,

This is the first of Susan Cooper's cycle of kidlit THE DARK IS RISING -- five
excellent books which are:
	1.  Over  Sea, Under Stone
	2.  The Dark Is Rising
	3.  Greenwitch
	4.  The Grey King
	5.  Silver on the Tree

All are  excellent; I recommend the highly.

****SPOILER WARNING****

Some find the ending of the series offensive for reasons I do not personally
understand but which are related to the removal of the memories of magic from
the "mortal" characters
.

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes

larsen@fisher.UUCP (Michael Larsen) (03/15/86)

> I am looking for titles and authors of three
> Childrens books:
>
> 1...
> 2. A boy runs away from home and spends a year or so
>    in Shakespere's acting company.
> 3...
>
> Thanks,
>
> John Rutis

This sounds like _Cue_for_Treason_.  I don't remember the author's name.

chmorris@watrose.UUCP (chmorris) (03/17/86)

In article <1402@fisher.UUCP> larsen@fisher.UUCP (Michael Larsen) writes:
>> I am looking for titles and authors of three
>> Childrens books:
>> 2. A boy runs away from home and spends a year or so
>>    in Shakespere's acting company.
>
>This sounds like _Cue_for_Treason_.  I don't remember the author's name.
By Geoffrey Trease.  But I recall reading 3 or 4 children's books with a similar
plot.

phoenix@genat.UUCP (phoenix) (03/19/86)

In article <7907@watrose.UUCP> chmorris@watrose.UUCP () writes:
>In article <1402@fisher.UUCP> larsen@fisher.UUCP (Michael Larsen) writes:
>>> I am looking for titles and authors of three
>>> Childrens books:
>>> 2. A boy runs away from home and spends a year or so
>>>    in Shakespere's acting company.
>>
>>This sounds like _Cue_for_Treason_.  I don't remember the author's name.
>By Geoffrey Trease.  But I recall reading 3 or 4 children's books with a similar
>plot.

It sounds like *Cue for Treason* to me as well; but wasn't the protagonist
a young girl who entered the acting company *disguised* as a boy (boys
being used in acting in those days to portray women as women were not
allowed to act on stage.

--
					The Phoenix
					(Neither Bright, Dark, nor Young)

---"A man should live forever...or die trying."
---"There is no substitute for good manners...except fast reflexes."