[net.books] Documentation on 4.2 /bin/cc

brunner@sdsioa.UUCP (Rob Brunner X2830) (05/08/86)

Does anyone know of any good docs. on 4.2bsd /bin/cc??  I'm
not looking for a man-type page.  I'm looking for a description
of exactly how it treats certain variable declarations, the
parse trees it uses, etc.

The new Dragon Book (Compilers: Techniques...) Aho, Hopcraft, & Ulman
[1986] references an article published by Dennis Ritchie in 1979, called
"A Tour Through The UNIX C Compiler" but it is nowhere to be found.
(does not exist in any UC library, and not mentioned even in Citation
Index for {1979|1980}). I sense it might be only an internal document
published internally by/for AT&T and not distributed at all.  Does any-
one know where I can find it??

Thanks in advance for any direction.

--
------
Rob Brunner, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UC San Diego

This message is empty.

mesans@uvicctr.UUCP (mesans) (05/15/86)

In article <149@sdsioa.UUCP> brunner@sdsioa.UUCP (Rob Brunner X2830) writes:
>The new Dragon Book (Compilers: Techniques...) Aho, Hopcraft, & Ulman
>[1986] references an article published by Dennis Ritchie in 1979, called
>"A Tour Through The UNIX C Compiler" but it is nowhere to be found.
>(does not exist in any UC library, and not mentioned even in Citation
>Index for {1979|1980}). I sense it might be only an internal document
>published internally by/for AT&T and not distributed at all.  Does any-
>one know where I can find it??

You can find the artical in _UNIX_programer's_manual_ (revised and
expanded version) Volume2 by Bell Labs.  This is a portion of the
user's manual for UNIX V7 (as far as I can tell).  It also gives a
tour through pcc, and has _LOTS_ of other intersesting info (I found
about half the book to be good summer reading [outside of school, or
job]).  It is a large green paper back with holes (for a 3 ring binder,
and the spine comes off if you want to go through the work of doing
it).  Volume1 is the online manuals, and while usefull, not nearly
as interesting.  It is a fairly easy book to get a hold of (around
here anyway).

#include <std_disclamer.h>

                             S. John Banner