[net.books] school textbooks

In article <181@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU> olson@batcomputer.UUCP (olson) writes:
>PS. I hope that people out there take Feynman's remarks on high school
>  textbooks to heart, and if they have the chance, do something to improve
>  the books because far too many of them really are abismal.

Um, "abysmal", which isn't appropriate for non-gaplike objects..

Anyway, the problem when I was a Texas public school student,
which is very likely still the problem today, seems to be that
public school textbooks have to be selected from a small list
of "approved" candidates that is determined by a VERY political
state textbook committee.  Naturally, textbook publishers offer
what they perceive the textbook committees will approve.  This
principle can be seen in operation with the introduction of
Creationism into biology texts, despite educators, textbook
authors, and publishers knowing better.

The only solution I see is to reduce politics in education,
which in practice probably means supporting a transition to
private schools.  This could be done by a rebate of the public-
school portion of a family's taxes when they send their child
to a private school.  (The idea is usually called "tax credits
for education".)  Given the government's tendency to operate
in areas where it has no legitimate business, it would take a
substantial "grass-roots" movement to get this idea adopted.

tedrick@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Tom Tedrick) (05/03/86)

In article <422@brl-smoke.ARPA> gwyn@brl.ARPA writes:

>The only solution I see is to reduce politics in education,
>which in practice probably means supporting a transition to
>private schools.  This could be done by a rebate of the public-
>school portion of a family's taxes when they send their child
>to a private school.  (The idea is usually called "tax credits
>for education".)  Given the government's tendency to operate
>in areas where it has no legitimate business, it would take a
>substantial "grass-roots" movement to get this idea adopted.

Hear, hear! At last Gwyn and I have some common ground of
agreement.

barb@oliveb.UUCP (05/16/86)

On textbooks, and their perceived lower than lowest common denominator
quality ...

An interesting read is a writer's point of view on the textbook process.  Go to
your library (or your bookshelves) and find the April 1986 edition of
WRITER'S DIGEST.  The last article is "A Perfect Day for Broccoli
Spears -or- Learning the Way Through the Never-Never Land of Textbook Taboos"
by Pat Zettner.  On the one hand it's hilarious.  On the other it's highly
disturbing.  To quote a disremembered person:  "Vanilla is fine -- if you
haven't tasted chocolate, or strawberry..."  The problem here, they are
so afraid of offending someone, you're lucky if you get vanilla.  [Oh,
sorry, I'm not supposed to mention ice cream at all -- unapproved junk food,
you know.]

Solutions?  Encourage your children to read at home.  Don't limit them
to the textbook environment.  I would say that most of my education came
from extracurricular inhaling of the printed word.  The classroom is not
the only realm of learning -- indeed, it SHOULD be a minor realm.

There _is_ room for improvement.  But the current situation is cataclysmic
only if we let it be.  [And this from a BA with Honors, UCD -- who had
an eigth-grade math class with so _few_ textbooks we weren't allowed to
take them home!  It didn't help -- but, with the support of my _high
school_ educated parents, I didn't _let_ it hinder.]

Barb