[net.religion] junkers in review

ucbvax:arens@UCBKIM (04/22/83)

From: arens@UCBKIM (Yigal Arens)
To: net-religion@BERKELEY

I've read the various messages and counter-messages concerning my original
observation that people tend to claim that their god tells them to do what
they wanted to do in the first place.

Maybe I should mention here that what I was really referring to was to
religious organizations, or movements, and not necessarily to the choices of
individuals.  Not that the same is not true for individual choices (it
*must* be, since there *is* no god...), but the issue is somewhat clearer in
the former case.  The best way to see this is to notice how many different
religious movements there are holding widely varying views, but all claiming
to interpret the same book(s) and follow the teachings of the same god.
People will then choose the sect holding whatever views they agree with, and
claim that it is actually their *god* telling them what to do...

I mean, compare the followers of the Nazi "Rabbi" Kahane with the gay Jewish
congregation "Sha'ar Zahav" in San Francisco.  Or Jerry Falwell followers
with your favorite pacifist christian group.

While I'm at it, I would like to express my utter amazement at how Randall
Elliott can say things like the following:

	"God is waiting for US.  God wants as many people as He can get into
	eternity.  Therfore, the message of Jesus has to be spread to all
	people so all can have the chance to make the choice to follow and
	to get the gift of eternal life.  God isn't going to spend forever
	with people who don't love Him.  He has enough problems with those
	who do."

How *dare* he (and he isn't alone in this) speak so casually about what god
wants, what god's intentions are, what god is or isn't going to do, etc.
What on earth gives Randall the notion that he has even the slightest idea
of what (if anything) is behind his god's actions?!  And I don't want to
hear any quotes from any scriptures!  How do you know what they are really
about or why they are there?

I think this is a serious question.  It is what really lies at the heart of
the issue I raised above.

Yigal Arens
UC Berkeley

arens@UCBKIM (04/25/83)

From: arens@UCBKIM (Yigal Arens)
To: net-religion@BERKELEY

[There've been some problems with mail here recently and I'm not sure this
got out.  If it did -- I apologize.  Yigal]