[net.religion] National Day of Prayer

tim (05/06/83)

Relay-Version:version B 2.10 gamma 4/3/83; site mhuxt.UUCP
Date:Fri, 6-May-83 12:07:00 EDT

This appalls me. The President, apparently not satisfied by insulting
us by declaring this National Bible Year, has declared a National Day of
Prayer. Reagan clearly does not feel that he needs to represent anyone
in this country whose religious views are vastly different from his --
after all, it's a Judeo-Christian nation, right?

I know this seems like harmless stuff to you Christians out there, but
try to look at it from the point of view of a non-Christian, who has the
same rights in this country as you do. How would you feel about "National
Circle-Dance Day" or "National Bhagavad-Gita Year" being proclaimed by
the president and promoted using the power of his office (your tax dollars)?
Give this question some serious thought. It would, I'm sure, make you more
than a bit nervous, at least.

Keep church and state separate!

Tim Maroney

jfw (05/11/83)

Christian prayer?  OH!  I had gotten it wrong!  I thought Ronnie wanted us
to pray to him!