[net.religion] Our govt. could use less complaint

kh (05/11/83)

Relay-Version:version B 2.10 gamma 4/3/83; site mhuxt.UUCP
Date:Wed, 11-May-83 01:03:40 EDT

	From: dyl@floyd
	Newsgroups: net.religion
	Title: Our government could use less complaint

	Do not worry, God is not going to move in schools just because
	there are 5 minutes of silence before schools begin.  In general,
	God moves in a congregation when it is seeking God in unity and
	in truth and when the congregation has patience to wait for an
	answer from God.  A classroom hardly meets these criteria at all.

The problem is not what God is going to do, but what the government will try
to do.  Government promoting religion is not a good idea.  One should remember
that there were specific reasons for each of the amendments in the bill of
rights.  Separation of state & religion comes from such problems as the
persecution of protestants/catholics/protestants/catholics (depending on
the religion of the crown at the time) in England.  Not to mention that
many of the early immigrants to our country came here specifically for
religious freedom.  I don't see why these freedoms should be diminished.

	Personally I do not see why high schools should teach the evolution
	theories.  It is obvious that living things are born according to
	their own kinds.  Genetic changes result in defects, abnormality and
	shorter if not zero lifespan.  Anything that replaces God is just
	another religion.

"Anything that replaces God is just another religion."?????? Come on...
The theory of evolution is taught because there's a LOT of evidence to
support it.  The same goes for the heliocentric theory of the solar system.

	Let me point out that federal, state and local employees do take
	Thanksgiving and Christmas off while collecting tax dollars.
	What are you going to do about it?

I personally have nothing against holidays, even religious ones.  Many
employers allow Jewish employees to take off Yom Kippur, and I think
that includes many governments.  I hope the same consideration is given
to Muslims, Hindus, Moonies, etc.

	And then there are monuments in Washington D.C. giving full
	acknowledgements to God.  For example, Lincoln Memorial is
	called a temple and in it Lincoln's writings which acknowledge
	that the civil war was a judgement from the true and righteous
	Lord.  So, is it OK with you folks for the Federal Government
	to use your tax dollars to upkeep these monuments?  Or should
	they use your tax dollars to tear them down.  The list of things
	just goes on.

Actually, I think the list is quite short.  The Lincoln Memorial is all
right with me.  After all, its main purpose is not to glorify God, but a
man who led this country in difficult times.

	Before you drive yourselves crazy and loose your abilities to
	generate more tax dollars.  Consider yourselves fortunate that
	you are paying tax dollars instead of receiving welfare even
	though you are not thanking God for your abilities and opportunities
	to work.  There are millions of people in the world who are willing
	to pay that tax dollar in your place.  Besides, this country can
	afford to loose a few tax dollars in return for less complaints
	against the government.

Less complaints?  The government needs \more/ complaints.  It is through
complaints that the government is changed.  Its mistakes are corrected
(and there are *always* mistakes) and it is made more responsive to the
people.  Governments that don't allow complaint are commonplace and
always bad.  In fact, what greater admission is there from a government
that it is bad?  A government that cannot accept criticism is a weak one
indeed.

					Kenny Hirsch
					duke!unc!kh
					kh.unc@UDel-Relay