[net.religion] Paul's words only his alone?

dob@ihuxj.UUCP (Daniel M. O'Brien) (11/28/83)

As Byron Howes pointed out, the writer of ROMANS was
Paul, and so, ROMANS contains Paul's words, but his
words are not unneccessarily those of God's. Howes no doubt
has forgotten most of his New Testament that deals with
NT authorship. Consider the following verses from
Scripture (New American Standard Bible).

Paul, writing to Timothy in 2 Timothy 3:16: "All Scripture
is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof,
for correction, for training in righteousness;"  The words
translated "inspired by God" literally mean "God-breathed"
(as translated in the New International Version).

Peter, in 2 Peter 1:20-21, elaborates further, "But know this
first of all, that no prophesy of Scripture is a matter of
one's own interpretation, for no prophecy was ever made by
an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit
spoke from God."  Note that mere men spoke God's words as
inspired by his Holy Spirit. Men wrote, God spoke.

Yes, Paul was infallibly human, except for when it came time
to pen Scripture, then he wrote what God wanted said.
Paul was an apostle, a chosen instrument of God. From
Acts 9:15 we read (Jesus himself speaking to Ananias) about
Paul, "for he is a chosen instrument of Mine, to bear My name
before the Gentiles and kings and the sons of Israel;"

Peter, an eyewitness of Jesus, thought highly of Paul's writings
equating them with Scripture (remember at that time Scripture was the
Old Testament) in 2 Peter 3:15-16, "just as also our beloved
brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you,
as also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things,
in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught
and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures,
to their own destruction."

------------------------

This ought to fan the net.flames a little.  Remember to look
it up yourself in your own Bibles. Never take someone's word
for what the Bible says. Compare translations for difficult
passages. Know that the LIVING BIBLE is not. It is an interpretation
not a translation. Always use a good translation, King James Bible,
New American Standard Bible, New Internation Version, Revised
Standard, etc.

Have fun.
--

			Daniel M. O'Brien
			AT&T Bell Laboratories

			....!ihuxj!dob

smb@ulysses.UUCP (Steven Bellovin) (11/29/83)

	From: dob@ihuxj.UUCP
	Subject: Paul's words only his alone?
	Date: Sun, 27-Nov-83 19:51:58 EST

	As Byron Howes pointed out, the writer of ROMANS was
	Paul, and so, ROMANS contains Paul's words, but his
	words are not unneccessarily those of God's. Howes no doubt
	has forgotten most of his New Testament that deals with
	NT authorship. Consider the following verses from
	Scripture (New American Standard Bible).

You miss Byron's point.  You're assuming that the New Testament is
divinely inspired, then quoting it to prove your point.  (You even
quote Paul on the inspiration of his own writings -- clearly circular.)
Without such an assumption -- which I and many others are not necessarily
prepared to make -- the most one can conclude is that someone named Paul
claimed that certain thoughts were of divine origin.  It isn't even overly
skeptical to say that all we can ascertain is that these writings are
*attributed* to Paul, rather than actually being written by him -- certainly,
that can be said of the Gospels.  Archaeological and/or textual evidence
may say more on this matter.  But without an act of faith -- which is not
necessarily wrong or unfounded, but certainly is not objective evidence --
one cannot go any further.  What we are left with is a set of writings which
make certain value judgements.  What attention one pays to these judgements
depends almost exclusively on one's assumption as to their origin -- and
Byron is not necessarily willing to accept your assumptions.

						 Remember to look
	it up yourself in your own Bibles. Never take someone's word
	for what the Bible says. Compare translations for difficult
	passages. Know that the LIVING BIBLE is not. It is an interpretation
	not a translation. Always use a good translation, King James Bible,
	New American Standard Bible, New Internation Version, Revised
	Standard, etc.

I agree completely.  And check the best that modern scholarship has to
offer on the meaning of obscure words, idiomatic expressions, etc.

bch@unc.UUCP (Byron Howes ) (11/29/83)

>>As Byron Howes pointed out, the writer of ROMANS was
>>Paul, and so, ROMANS contains Paul's words, but his
>>words are not unneccessarily those of God's. Howes no doubt
>>has forgotten most of his New Testament that deals with
>>NT authorship. Consider the following verses from
>>Scripture (New American Standard Bible).
>>Paul, writing to Timothy in 2 Timothy 3:16: "All Scripture
>>is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof,
>>for correction, for training in righteousness;"  The words
>>translated "inspired by God" literally mean "God-breathed"
>>(as translated in the New International Version).

Ok.  Right off the bat we're in a quandry.  It makes no sense to try
to use Paul's supposed infallibility as evidence for Paul's supposed
infallibility.  Obviously, he has an axe to grind.  As to what is
scripture and what is not scripture, that it a question I will take
up later.  Suffice it to say for the moment that I refuse to accept
Paul's declarations of his own infallibility as evidence.

>>Peter, in 2 Peter 1:20-21, elaborates further, "But know this
>>first of all, that no prophesy of Scripture is a matter of
>>one's own interpretation, for no prophecy was ever made by
>>an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit
>>spoke from God."  Note that mere men spoke God's words as
>>inspired by his Holy Spirit. Men wrote, God spoke.

...Nor will you get me to believe that all "prophecy" is inspired by
the Spirit of Ghod.  This is precisely the point about what we are
arguing.  In context, he is not referring to specific prophecies,
but in general the notion of prophecy.  He goes on to say (next verse:)
	"But Israel had false prophets as well as true; and
	you likewise will have false teachers among you.
	They will import disastrous heresies, disowning the very
	Master who bought them, and bringing swift disaster on
	their own heads.  They will gain many adherents to
	their dissolute practices, through whom the true way
	will be brought into disrepute.  In their greed for money
	they will trade on your credulity with sheer fabrications."
So this really doesn't tell us anything, save that there is good
prophecy and bad...
>>Yes, Paul was infallibly human, except for when it came time
>>to pen Scripture, then he wrote what God wanted said.

Um, you make it sound like the New Testament was written deliberately.
Actually, it was a codification and canonization of what the early
Apostolic bishops thought to be inspired.  There was a great deal of
available religious writing left out.  The actual codification of the
New Testament as we know it was not completed until the 4th century.
Basically, people just wrote.  Penning Scripture wasn't exactly in
their minds.

>>Paul was an apostle, a chosen instrument of God. From
>>Acts 9:15 we read (Jesus himself speaking to Ananias) about
>>Paul, "for he is a chosen instrument of Mine, to bear My name
>>before the Gentiles and kings and the sons of Israel;"

Agreed, at least in some points.  Is this, however, an edict or
a limitation.  Paul's charge is to preach the Gospel of Jesus
Christ.  When he goes beyond that, does he still speak with the
same divine inspiration?  The dividing line between personal belief
and divine revelation is one that has historically often been
crossed even by the most well-meaning of persons.

>>Peter, an eyewitness of Jesus, thought highly of Paul's writings
>>equating them with Scripture (remember at that time Scripture was the
>>Old Testament) in 2 Peter 3:15-16, "just as also our beloved
>>brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you,
>>as also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things,
>>in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught
>>and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures,
>>to their own destruction."

You are again taking verses out of context.  "These things in which
are some things hard to understand" refers specifically to the lord's
patience being mankind's salvation.
I am not saying that Paul was not an Apostle nor that much of his work
was not inspired.  Like the 12 original Apostles, however, Paul was
quite capable of error and of transcribing that error into writing.
If, politically, Paul's work was in consonant with the beliefs of the
early Apostolic bishops, than the passages in question would have been
adopted as canon, whether they came from Paul or Ghod.

--

					Byron Howes
					UNC - Chapel Hill

emjej@uokvax.UUCP (12/02/83)

#R:ihuxj:-29700:uokvax:8300019:000:631
uokvax!emjej    Nov 30 20:54:00 1983

>Remember to look it up yourself in your own Bibles. Never take
someone's word for what the Bible says. Compare translations for
difficult passages.

AMEN.

>Always use a good translation, King James Bible...

Amen once again. But do you really think that KJ, wherein Isaiah's
prophecy is made to look rather better than it is, or in any case
more Christian, by translating "almah" (young woman) as "virgin,"
is a good translation?

(The Hebrew word for "virgin" is "betulah." My ignorance of Hebrew
and its transliteration into the Latin alphabet is quite severe;
I am here relying on an article by Leo Rosten.)

				James Jones