[net.religion] milk & meat

jack@hp-dcde.UUCP (11/30/83)

#N:hp-dcde:25000003:000:359
hp-dcde!jack    Nov 27 18:53:00 1983

While shopping today, I picked up some Yoplait Custard-Style Yogurt.
It was marked with a K (not a U in a circle).
Among the ingredients were listed:
	Skim Milk Solids
	Colored with Beef Fat extracts (definitely Beef Fat something)

Now, doesn't this violate the rule about Kosher food not mixing milk & meat?

						-Jack Applin
						 (hplabs!hp-dcd!jack)

smb@ulysses.UUCP (12/02/83)

	From: jack@hp-dcde.UUCP
	Subject: milk & meat - (nf)
	Date: Wed, 30-Nov-83 03:35:18 EST

	While shopping today, I picked up some Yoplait Custard-Style Yogurt.
	It was marked with a K (not a U in a circle).
	Among the ingredients were listed:
		Skim Milk Solids
		Colored with Beef Fat extracts (definitely Beef Fat something)

	Now, doesn't this violate the rule about Kosher food not mixing milk & meat?

							-Jack Applin
							 (hplabs!hp-dcd!jack)

It would certainly seem to.  There are a few possible explanations
other than a mistake (we'll discount fraudulent intent), though.
First, a substance derived from an animal product can be sufficiently
far from its origins that it is considered a chemical, and no longer a
meat product.  For example, most hard cheeses are cured with animal
rennet, yet most Conservative Jewish authorities consider such cheeses
kosher.  Exactly where the line is drawn varies, of course, depending
on your rabbi.  Some Orthodox rabbis agree with this reasoning, but
insist that the rennet must come from a kosher, ritually slaughtered
animal.  To quote the First Jewish Catalog (an excellent book):

	List of chemical additives, which, besdies probably poisoning your
			body, may be unkosher.

	Depending on what rabbit or authority you ask and what positions
	you adhere to, some of the following may be treif [unkosher] for
	you.  The best policy is to consult a rabbit who likes to eat the
	same things you do.

	Mono-glyceride		Glycine
	Di-glyceride		Emulsifiers
	Stearates		Gelatin
	Stearic acid		Lipids
	Softeners		Rennet
	Argol			Pepsin

A second possible explanation is that the particular K in question may
not be a kashruth symbol.  The Kraft logo, for example, is easily confused
with a indication that the product is kosher.  Nor can the use of K be
restricted, as letters of the alphabet are not copyrightable.

keesan@bbncca.ARPA (Morris Keesan) (12/02/83)

------------------------------
1) I don't have my copy of The Jewish Catalogue handy, but I'd be very
    surprised if it recommends consulting a rabbit.  Amusing typo, though.
    Reminds me of a joke where a wife is trying to subtly tell her husband
    she's pregnant, and he thinks she's telling him the rabbi died.

2) It was only very recently (some time between 1971 and 1977) that the
    American Conservative rabbis' organization decided that rennet is far
    enough removed from its origins to make hard cheeses kosher.

3) I think that the most likely explanation for the "K" on the Yoplait yogurt
    is Steven Bellovin's suggestion that it's not a kashrut symbol, but some
    other indication like the Kraft logo.  It is for this reason that many
    Orthodox authorities recommend not accepting the K as a kashrut symbol at
    all, but only buying food that you know is approved by an accepted
    rabbinical group, such as the Union of Orthodox Rabbis, which owns the
    U in a circle symbol.  I remember reading a pamphlet once which said you
    should only buy food if it's approved by a rabbi who is known to you, like
    matzoh "prepared under the supervision of Rabbi So-and-so."

					Morris M. Keesan
					{decvax,linus,wjh12}!bbncca!keesan
					keesan @ BBN-UNIX.ARPA

ariels@orca.UUCP (Ariel Shattan) (12/03/83)

They should grow like onions, with their heads in the ground!

Fortunately, most people who care about kashrut know that the K is
no sign of a kosher product.  Circle-U, Circle-K, Star-K are all
registered trademarks; registered by groups who oversee kashrut in
products.  No-one can register a letter of the alphabet.  Manufacturers
have taken it upon themselves to put the K on te lable when a
product is not directly non-kosher (no animal shortening, gelatin,
or other animal products usually makes them feel a K is called for).

Yoplait has taken it upon themselves to declare their product kosher.  with
this product, they are lying!  I suspect that some of their products
meet the K standard, and they figured, therefore, that they could
put the K on all their goods.

Those who care about a "hechshur" (certification) know what to look
for.  Those who care about marginal kashrut (don't need a hechshur,
but don't want to eat non-kosher directly) should read the
ingredients lable. Never trust a K, because it doesn't mean a thing
legally, so a manufacturer could lie, and never be liable.

Some of the more popular hechshurs:

Circle-U: Union of Orthodox Rabbis
CRC: Chicago Rabinical Council (not related to the CRC handbooks!)
Circle-K: some conservative rabinic group hechshur (not to be
          confused with the Kraft logo; hexagon-K)

Then there's always a personal hechshur from a rabbi you know and
trust.  most of the Israeli products have these, as do many of the
"traditional Jewish" products like Manashevitz, Goodman's, Mother's,
Streit's, and so on.

Kashrut for passover is another matter entirely.  See your local
rabbi for an interpretation.  I'm getting tired of typing!

Chanukah Sameach (that's Happy Chanukah), folks

Ariel Shattan
decvax!tektronix!tekecs!ariels

bch@unc.UUCP (12/04/83)

Well, folks, while doing seasonal shopping today I happened to look closely
at a carton of Yo Plait Custard-Style Yoghurt.  Boy, has this been a
tempest in a teapot (or more properly a yoghurt cup.)  The K on the package
does, indeed, indicate Kosher and there is no doubt from the ingredients
list that the yoghurt is quite Kosher.  It seems that the coloring agent
is taken from BEET extract, not BEEF extract. (*sigh*)
--

					Byron Howes
					UNC - Chapel Hill

dave@utcsrgv.UUCP (Dave Sherman) (12/04/83)

>>  From: smb@ulysses.UUCP (Steve Bellovin)
>>  		For example, most hard cheeses are cured with animal
>>  rennet, yet most Conservative Jewish authorities consider such cheeses
>>  kosher.  Exactly where the line is drawn varies, of course, depending
>>  on your rabbi.  Some Orthodox rabbis agree with this reasoning, but
>>  insist that the rennet must come from a kosher, ritually slaughtered
>>  animal.

*** FLAME ON ***

Sorry, Steve, you can't do that. You can *not* refer to Conservative
rabbis (let alone rabbits :-) ) to determine whether something is
kosher. Kashrut is determined by halachic considerations which are
objective standards and have not changed in over a thousand years.
The Conservative movement rejects much of halachah as not necessary and
"not applying to today's times".

You are quite welcome to say that Conservative rabbis will give you
permission to eat X, Y or Z. They also give you permission to drive
on the Sabbath. So what? That does not change the halachah, and it
cannot make a treife item kosher. If someone wants to be less observant,
that's their decision and I have no objection. But don't claim that the
religion allows something when it doesn't.

(flame off)

As to the specific argument, yes, it is possible that ingredients which
pass through an inedible state are not treife, as I mentioned in an earlier
article. This does not apply to cheese, however: the only kosher hard
cheeses are the ones specifically manufactured with kosher rennet (Migdal,
Haolom, Liberty, Great Canadian, and a couple of others whose names escape
me at the moment).
--
 {allegra,cornell,decvax,ihnp4,linus,utzoo}!utcsrgv!dave

smb@ulysses.UUCP (12/05/83)

	From: dave@utcsrgv.UUCP
	Subject: Re: milk & meat - (nf)
	Date: Sun, 4-Dec-83 09:19:13 EST

	>>  From: smb@ulysses.UUCP (Steve Bellovin)
	>>  		For example, most hard cheeses are cured with animal
	>>  rennet, yet most Conservative Jewish authorities consider such cheeses
	>>  kosher.  Exactly where the line is drawn varies, of course, depending
	>>  on your rabbi.  Some Orthodox rabbis agree with this reasoning, but
	>>  insist that the rennet must come from a kosher, ritually slaughtered
	>>  animal.

	*** FLAME ON ***

	Sorry, Steve, you can't do that. You can *not* refer to Conservative
	rabbis (let alone rabbits :-) ) to determine whether something is
	kosher. Kashrut is determined by halachic considerations which are
	objective standards and have not changed in over a thousand years.
	The Conservative movement rejects much of halachah as not necessary and
	"not applying to today's times".

	You are quite welcome to say that Conservative rabbis will give you
	permission to eat X, Y or Z. They also give you permission to drive
	on the Sabbath. So what? That does not change the halachah, and it
	cannot make a treife item kosher. If someone wants to be less observant,
	that's their decision and I have no objection. But don't claim that the
	religion allows something when it doesn't.

	(flame off)

The issue here is the validity of the Conservative rabbinate.  The Orthodox
position has always been that the Conservative rabbis are at best wrong, and
at worst leading others into sin.  The Conservative view is that they are
continuing the process of interpretation of the Law in the tradition of the
Talmudists of 2000 years ago.  The Orthodox view is -- as you and I have both
pointed out -- that the oral law was handed down on Mt. Sinai, and is of equal
authority and inerrancy; consequently, any new contradictory interpretations
are obviously wrong.  I don't accept this, and I'm hardly alone in that.  But
this is a long and complex issue which I'm too tired to discuss at length at
the moment.  It's really the same issue as the "Biblical inerrancy" debate
in several Christian denominations, in fact.  In any event, your flame is
somewhat misplaced; my note was intended to be educational and point out what
*some* rabbis believe.

	As to the specific argument, yes, it is possible that ingredients which
	pass through an inedible state are not treife, as I mentioned in an earlier
	article. This does not apply to cheese, however: the only kosher hard
	cheeses are the ones specifically manufactured with kosher rennet (Migdal,
	Haolom, Liberty, Great Canadian, and a couple of others whose names escape
	me at the moment).

I'm pretty sure of my facts here; I'm basing my statements on conversations
I've had with Orthodox rabbis and on some material that quite coincidentally
arrived this week from a local synagogue.  Let me be more precise about the
Conservative position on cheese:  any cheese manufactured under the juris-
diction of the U.S. Pure Food and Drug Act (i.e., any US-made cheese) is
considered kosher, because (a) rennet is not considered a food, and (b) Federal
supervision is sufficient to prevent adulteration with other treife sub-
stances.  The Orthodox do not accept this because (a) they insist that the
rennet must come from a kosher animal; and (b) they insist on rabbinic super-
vision.  If you accept the validity of the Conservative rabbinate -- and many
do -- then most cheeses are kosher.

		--Steve Bellovin

P.S.  I imagine that those of you who have consulted rabbits instead of
rabbits have found that carrots are indeed kosher...