[net.religion] Sub-human Christian attitudes

david@ssc-vax.UUCP (David Norris) (02/09/84)

"Speaker" (who are you, anyway?) responded to (?)

>	The "not my will but Thy will be done" attitude makes me
>	sick.  How anyone who is human could even attempt to cast
>	aside his own judgements, loves and values, I do not
>	understand.
>
> I submit that such people are not fully human.  People are
> always looking for a God to take away their troubles, fears,
> or solve their deepest inquires... this God takes many forms.

I suppose I will have to be lumped in this catagory.  Personally, I am glad to
have a loving God who takes away my troubles and fears; it makes life worth
living.

But I wonder about those who believe that they have to give up treasured
beliefs and loves to accept Christ.  What kinds of judgements, loves and values
do you think you will have to give up?  You don't have to give ANYTHING up to
become a Christian; God wants you the way you are.  The hitch?  You will find
that, as you grow closer to God, you will give up some things you never thought
you would.

I have found this to be a common reason to reject Jesus, but I don't think it
holds much weight.  If you cherish a particular value, God may not ask you to
give it up.  If you believe God will ask you to give it up, you must search for
the reasons behind such a belief.

Let's take a case in point, a value that might be disputed.  Homosexuality is
a good one; I think we can agree that we disagree, anyway.  A homosexual knows
that, if he accepts Christ, he will be asked to give up his sexual preference.
Let us also assume that he sincerely believes that there is nothing wrong with
homosexuality.  What reasons might he have for not accepting Jesus?  There are
many superficial reasons:
	1) fear of response from friends, family, others
This one doesn't flush.  It implies that an individual is more concerned about
his image than in his ideals.
	2) doesn't really believe in God
This is another argument, and has little to do with his personal values.  The
fact that he is a homosexual should have little to do with his belief in God.
You can't say you don't believe in God because you are a homosexual;  existance
(or non-existance) of a Supreme Being does not depend on one person's values.
	3) fear that a real God will ask him to give up his lifestyle
To me, this is the only argumentable answer.  But it implies that the person is
making a free choice to reject God.  I suspect that this is rather rare.

Since I am sub-human, I have probably left out some other reasonable responses
to this question.  Seriously, do you *really* believe that others are sub-human
to cast aside his own values, if God asked him to?  This implies a relationship
with the Almighty, and would make the individual super-human, not sub-human,
don't you think?

	-- David Norris        :-)
	-- uw-beaver!ssc-vax!david

amigo2@ihuxq.UUCP (John Hobson) (02/11/84)

(Note to readers of net.motss:  the article which this answers is in
net.religion)

David Norris says:

>>	But I wonder about those who believe that they have to give
>>	up treasured beliefs and loves to accept Christ.  What kinds
>>	of judgements, loves and values do you think you will have
>>	to give up?  You don't have to give ANYTHING up to become a
>>	Christian; God wants you the way you are.  The hitch?  You
>>	will find that, as you grow closer to God, you will give up
>>	some things you never thought you would.
>>
>>	I have found this to be a common reason to reject Jesus, but
>>	I don't think it holds much weight.  If you cherish a
>>	particular value, God may not ask you to give it up.  If you
>>	believe God will ask you to give it up, you must search for
>>	the reasons behind such a belief.
>>
>>	Let's take a case in point, a value that might be disputed.
>>	Homosexuality is a good one; I think we can agree that we
>>	disagree, anyway.  A homosexual knows that, if he accepts
>>	Christ, he will be asked to give up his sexual preference.
>>	Let us also assume that he sincerely believes that there is
>>	nothing wrong with homosexuality.  What reasons might he
>>	have for not accepting Jesus?  There are many superficial
>>	reasons:
[ SEVERAL LINES OMITTED ]
>>		3) fear that a real God will ask him to give up his
>>		lifestyle
>>	To me, this is the only argumentable answer.  But it implies
>>	that the person is making a free choice to reject God.  I
>>	suspect that this is rather rare.  Since I am sub-human, I
>>	have probably left out some other reasonable responses to
>>	this question.  Seriously, do you *really* believe that
>>	others are sub-human to cast aside his own values, if God
>>	asked him to?  This implies a relationship with the
>>	Almighty, and would make the individual super-human, not
>>	sub-human, don't you think?

David, I'm sorry, but I don't follow you.  You say in the first
paragraph "You don't have to give ANYTHING up to become a Christian;
God wants you the way you are", in almost the next breath you say
"A homosexual knows that, if he accepts Christ, he will be asked to
give up his sexual preference."  This is certainly giving something
up, expecting perpetual celibacy (for someone who is not sexually
attracted to women).

What if, as you say, we "assume that he sincerely believes that
there is nothing wrong with homosexuality."  Then he would be going
against his beliefs to reject homosexuality.  This would make him
different from what he truly is, but you say that God wants him as
he is.  It would be also be hypocritical, which God most assuredly
does not want.

It may (or then again it may not) surprise you to hear that there
are many men (and women) who are gay and believe themselves to be
sincere Christians.  I am speaking of those who do not give up their
homosexual lifestyle, but try to live it in a loving and Christian
way.

As far as your third reason for not accepting Jesus goes, I think
that what I have just said is an answer to it.  I would add a fourth
reason, far more cogent:
	4) anger that a loving God would not accept homosexuals, but
	condemns them for something over which they have no real
	control, i.e., sexual preference.

				John Hobson
				AT&T Bell Labs
				Naperville, IL
				(312) 979-0193
				ihnp4!ihuxq!amigo2

kechkayl@ecn-ee.UUCP (02/11/84)

#R:ssc-vax:-81400:ecn-ee:18600006:000:298
ecn-ee!kechkayl    Feb 11 05:08:00 1984

	Well . . . If god asked me to discard a personal belief, and a
strongly held one at that, I would at least ask for a few good reasons.
Some reasons that would not be acceptable would be:

    	"Do it because I'm GOD!", or
	"It would make me happy", or
	"Do it or I will do nasty things to you!"

sdyer@bbncca.ARPA (Steve Dyer) (02/12/84)

Strangely, I agree with David Norris' generic comments about Christian
belief and the inevitable letting go of incompatible beliefs and attitudes
as one's relationship with God deepens.  One only wishes that he hadn't
used homosexuality as his example--more evidence of his limited view of
others' approaches to God.  It is NOT a forgone conclusion that:

	"A homosexual knows that, if he accepts Christ, he will be asked to
	give up his sexual preference."

There are many deeply religious homosexual men and women who see their
sexuality as an expression of God's love and have no quarrel with this
"gift." I would admit that someone steeped in the heady tradition of
fundamentalism would wrestle with this issue, and feel that they must
renounce their sexual behavior (not to mention their sexual preference.) To
them, I wish good luck and God's grace--they'll need it!  On a purely
personal level, I have known several people who have tried just that.  It's
generally hell-on-earth for as many years as they can stand it.  Finally,
when they realize they've been chasing an illusion, they stop.  Some stop
all belief in God, and some remain in the Church.  But this is a
digression, and has little to do with my point, which is that David's
statement is an expression of his reading of Scripture, and is not the
final conclusion that every Christian will come to.

I would invite him (and others) to read two very good books: John Boswell,
"Christianity, Social Tolerance and Homosexuality", and John (?) McNeill,
"The Church and the Homosexual".  Both of these trace the attitudinal
changes of Western society and the Church towards homosexuality, and
reexamine the Biblical texts traditionally invoked against homosexual
behavior.  I grant that orthodox fundamentalists are unlikely to be swayed
by modern scholarship; perhaps at best, it might give them a feeling for
other streams of thought in the Church today.
--
/Steve Dyer
decvax!bbncca!sdyer

kechkayl@ecn-ee.UUCP (02/15/84)

#R:pucc-h:-54100:ecn-ee:18600007:000:1373
ecn-ee!kechkayl    Feb 14 12:44:00 1984

  "Do it because I am the true God.  Do it because not giving it up will do
  nasty things to you, quite apart from Me; if you set anything but Me up as
  God, it will go sour on you, it will crack under the weight of being god,
  which no one but I am strong enough to support, it will make you unhappy
  NOT to give it up; but it will ultimately make YOU happy to go ahead and
  give it up.

Well, Jeff, If god told me that, I would still ask for reasons. First, I was
not talking about setting something up as God, I was simply talking about
a belief. It IS possible to hold a belief without setting it up as God.
Secondly, many beliefs DO make you unhappy, but that can't stop you from
believing them. For instance, belief in freedom may force you to fight and
die, something which I woudn't particularily want to do, but that will not
cause me to renounce my belief in it. Being an adult includes the responsibility
to stick to what you truly believe in, no matter what. If you REALLY believe
in an ideal or principle, you will continue to believe in it until you have
good evidence to the contrary. (No matter if it makes you happy or otherwise!)

On the bright side, thanks for the reasonable tone of your article. Maybe
I've been reading too much net.flame lately, but it struck me as a relief.

					Thomas Ruschak
					ecn-ee!kechkayl
					"Aiee! A toy robot!"

aeq@pucc-h (Jeff Sargent) (02/16/84)

<in case the net demands a sacrifice>

Thomas Ruschak writes (quoting me):

>   "Do it because I am the true God.  Do it because not giving it up will do
>  nasty things to you, quite apart from Me; if you set anything but Me up as
>   God, it will go sour on you, it will crack under the weight of being god,
>   which no one but I am strong enough to support, it will make you unhappy
>   NOT to give it up; but it will ultimately make YOU happy to go ahead and
>   give it up.
>
> Well, Jeff, If god told me that, I would still ask for reasons.

That is something I still do; but despite that, I will say that I have found
in many cases that it is only in hindsight that you see the reason(s) for
anything that God seems to be asking you to do.  Dr. Paul Tournier has said,
"If a person will not dare to risk being mistaken about the will of God, he
will never come to know God any better."  In other words, you have to go
ahead and take risks, give up security, give up even the security of knowing
why, in order to have any chance of receiving blessings.  No one's saying
this is easy (as witness the article I submitted about 24 hours ago).

> On the bright side, thanks for the reasonable tone of your article. Maybe
> I've been reading too much net.flame lately, but it struck me as a relief.

Thank you for the bouquet.  I usually try to present Christianity in a
reasonable light.  (Sometimes I feel as if there's a 3-way discussion in
this group, among the atheists, the fundamentalists, and me!)
--

-- Jeff Sargent
{allegra, ihnp4, decvax, harpo, seismo, teklabs, ucbvax}!pur-ee!pucc-h:aeq