[net.religion] id AA20337; Thu, 16 Feb 84 05:05:30 pst

lipman@decwrl.UUCP (02/16/84)

Date: Thursday, 16 Feb 1984 05:09:17-PST
From: vax4::sander
To: net.religion
Subject: "COP-OUT" on confessing

I would like to respond to the confessing of sins to a priest as
being a "cop-out."  If it sounds like an attack, please don't
interpret it that way; this is a response to the idea.

If you take the confessing of sins to a priest as being a cop-out,
then I would suspect that you would have to consider the purpose
of the man Jesus that came almost 2000 years ago as being a
cop-out for us.  Surely you can't accept some painless, to you,
way of regaining heaven, there must be some more profound and
macho way of gaining the same thing.  All Christians know and
accept Jesus as the Savior, who was sent here by God the Father
to redeem all mankind.  "...for unless you believe that I am the
Messiah, the Son of God, you will die in your sins." (John 8:24).
God gave his son the power to heal physically, spiritually,
emotionally, etc. and to forgive sins. Nowhere in the Bible do we
see Jesus taking away sin or healing, and having that person tell
Jesus to give it back to them because they aren't going to
cop-out the easy way.  The people accepted, and always sought
after, these gifts.

Before Jesus died he passed on all of these gifts (abilities) to
his apostles, "whatever you bind on earth is bound in heaven, and
whatever you free on earth will be freed in heaven." (Matthew 18:18).
"If you forgive anyone's sins, they are forgiven. If you refuse
to forgive them, then are unforgiven." (John 20:23).
Jesus didn't give this gift as an easy way out, but as a means of
having a way of forgiveness before we meet the judge.  If we have
true sorrow and continually ask for forgiveness, we will grow
closer to God, and further from sin.  Just as programmers (this
seems to be an appropriate example here) gain ease and
understanding of a programming language the more they use it, so
it is with the gifts that Jesus left for us to use.  It isn't
easy following the way of the Cross, why make it harder?  "One
who is forgiven little, shows little love." (Luke 7:47).

The actual "cop-out" is telling yourself that you would rather
face the person.  This is a psychological cop-out for yourself.
How many times did you face someone yesterday; or face someone
during the week; even during this past month?  "If you are only
'angry', even in your own home, you are in danger of judgment!
If you call your friend and idiot, you are in danger of being
brought before the court.  And if you curse him, you are in
danger of the fires of hell." (Matthew 5:22).  How often do we
get upset with someone in the home, at work, or behind the wheel
of the car?  How many of these people have you faced and asked
for forgiveness?

Let's look at this from a different angle.  If you had cancer and
the doctor said that your ONLY hope of cure, or retarding its
spread, was to undergo five years of cobalt treatment, and even
then there was no guarantee.  Most, if not all, of us would take
the treatment in the hopes of a cure, but also to live longer.
Let's further assume that after two years of this painful
treatment you're told that the Canadians, or Europeans, have been
experimenting for three years with a drug that after only one or
two shots within a month all of your cancer will be gone.  Those
that participated early in the experiment don't show any signs of
the cancer returning, nor have any bad side effects.  You are now
asked if you want to take this drug.  Will you say that it's a
cop-out, that you want to continue taking the painful cobalt
treatments and take a chance that the cancer will be gone in
three more years?  I don't believe you will.  Why are we like
that?  Because we know physical pain, we don't want any part of
it, and we want to live healthy, long lives.

Why turn your soul away from a gift of God?  As long as you
maintain that you will face the one you have hurt, even if that
person doesn't know anything about it, and you don't ask for
forgiveness, you won't be forgiven; you can't grow completely in
grace; and you're playing right into the hands of the evil one.

"If you meet your accuser on the way to court, try to settle the
matter before it reaches the judge [God], lest he sentence you to
jail; for if that happens you won't be free again until the last
penny [sin] is paid in full." (Luke 12:58:59).  Why not avail
yourself of God's gifts while you can?

Joe

		...decvax!decwrl!rhea!vax4!sander