[net.religion] Sundry Replies and a Survey

lab@qubix.UUCP (Q-Bick) (02/17/84)

[Subject: Sundry replies and a survey]

Ah, I wondered how long it would take for my critiques to result in
napalm. Rather than quoting everybody, I'll address an answer to the
questions as Rich Rosen perhaps said them best:

> 1. The god described in the bible is a pig (or some such epithet).
>
> 2. If the bible is true, and this god does indeed exist as described,
>	he is much more worthy of repugnance than worship. [FOLLOWED BY
>	SUBSTANTIATION]
>
> ...could you please show me where the illogic is?

(1) is value judgment. On what (or whose) system is it based?
(2) fails to include man as he is described in the bible. Tim's
"substantiation" rejects the Biblical description of man. If you only
accept part of the Bible, you could make a case for almost anything, but
Tim's premise was that the Bible is true.  Start with man not the
innocent and deserving-of-compasison that Tim portrays, but one
deserving judgment, and the picture changes. =><=

RR [later article]: "(Larry knows this to be true; god has told him.)

It wasn't a special revelation - just Scripture.

RR: "...a god that is above the law because he is the law. Such thinking
really smacks of fascism."

1. Fascism implies a despot. The Greek word which transliterates to
"despot" is used several times in the New Testament. So you're not far off.
2. God is not *above* the law; He is at the perfection of the law.
Re-consider my statements above, and please respond to the survey below.

RR: "Don't worship anything."

Impossible. Worshipping does not have to be boot-licking. There are a
lot of implicit ways to worship something or someone. I've been as
guilty as the next person (so both of us deserve hell). It's not
something I desire to do, but probably something I will do (and have to
confess to God) while I'm stuck inside this protoplasm.

Bruce Israel: "I don't understand why I'm a sinner because of what Adam
did." "If 'Man is a sinner by nature' then how does he 'thus also
becomes a sinner by choice'? ... Can Man choose not to be a sinner? If
so, how is he then a sinner by nature?"

The questions go together. In his original state, Adam was able not
to sin. When he chose to be his own boss in one area, that blew it -
Adam *changed*, both in body and soul/spirit. We have inherited both
problems: our natural desire is to go our own way (nature), and we go
ahead and do it (choice).

BI, paraphrase: "Are God being perfect and God being changless causally
connected?"

"Perfect" covers many attributes - defining it would make this article
much longer than desirable. Changelessness could be considered a part of
perfection, but more than that, it means that a perfect God will always
be perfect.

Byron Howes: "...it seems the process of selecting a religion ...
necessarily involves some evaluation of that religion..."

True if religion were only a one-way street. Christianity is not man
trying to find God; it is God reaching out to undeserving man.

The question of omnipotence/just-about-anything was raised again. Who
among us finite ones could really comprehend being omnipotent, or
infinte in some other aspect?

I think Dave Norris may have used a poor choice of words in
	"You don't have to give ANYTHING up to become a Christian; God
	wants you the way you are."
					and thus took a ton of heat.
1. Many think they have to "clean up" their lives before God will accept
them. Nope. God takes you the way you are, BUT HE DOESN'T LEAVE YOU THAT
WAY. Change begins the moment you become a Christian. And it is not you
trying to change yourself into your ideal; it is God working in you to
change you into what He knows is best.
2. In a sense, you don't have to give anything up to become a Christian,
because the full price was paid on the cross. In another sense, you have
to give up everything, because God asks for one thing: YOU. No longer
are you #1. God is in charge; he calls the shots. Once the major item is
taken care of, then He starts to work on the rest. God works in the
positive aspect: things are not "given up"; they are left behind as you
go on to something better. Our problem is that we want to take them
along. I don't give up marriage or computers or sports, but let Him have
the final say on it, then abide by it. "He is no fool who gives up what
he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."

Thomas Ruschak: "...if Hitler had ... the power of life and death..."

Man has power to give or withhold death, but not to give life.

TR: "I don't care how powerful [God] is, [M]IGHT DOES NOT MAKE RIGHT!"

I agree. To that end, I would like a take a survey of our readers:

	What is the axiomatic basis for a right?

This is a genuine survey. I want to get some idea of what you people
think is the basis for rights. I warn you that I may inquire further of
you if I think your answer (e.g., "I have rights as a thinking human
being") isn't axiomatic enough, until either you go in a circle, or
until you say it is an absolute basis. I am, of course, obligated to
post the results (names will not be associated with answers unless
specifically authorized by the responder), but deeper inquiries may
delay the posting. My own idea will have my name attached to it.
--
				The Ice Floe of the Q-Bick
				{ucbvax,ihnp4}!{decwrl,amd70}!qubix!lab

rlr@pyuxn.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (02/18/84)

HOW LONG MUST WE PUT UP WITH LARRY BICKFORD MISQUOTING PEOPLE AND
USING THEIR WORDS OUT OF CONTEXT?????

> Rather than quoting everybody, I'll address an answer to the
> questions as Rich Rosen perhaps said them best:
>>	1. The god described in the bible is a pig (or some such epithet).
>>	2. If the bible is true, and this god does indeed exist as described,
>>		he is much more worthy of repugnance than worship. [FOLLOWED BY
>>		SUBSTANTIATION]
>> ...could you please show me where the illogic is?
> (1) is value judgment. On what (or whose) system is it based?
> (2) fails to include man as he is described in the bible. Tim's
> "substantiation" rejects the Biblical description of man. If you only
> accept part of the Bible, you could make a case for almost anything, but
> Tim's premise was that the Bible is true.  Start with man not the
> innocent and deserving-of-compasison that Tim portrays, but one
> deserving judgment, and the picture changes. =><=

Once again, Tim NEVER says that he believes the Bible to be true.  He says that
(and I said that) "IF  (Please look up the word 'if', Larry, and read the
example sentences that go with the definition!!)  IF the bible is true, then
the following things are evident ..."

The context of the section of my article that Larry quoted is never made
clear, and again Larry takes the words and twists them to his own ends.
All that I said was that the train of logic that Tim appeared to take
was valid, but since Larry omitted steps 3 and 4 (and apparently assumed
that everyone has forgotten what they were), here is the complete list
(1-4).  "4" goes a bit overboard but is included for completeness.

>>	1. The god described in the bible is a pig (or some such epithet).
>>	2. If the bible is true, and this god does indeed exist as described,
>>		he is much more worthy of repugnance than worship. [FOLLOWED BY
>>		SUBSTANTIATION]
3.  However, I do not believe the bible to be true.  I either believe that
	if there is a god it is of a different form than that described in the
	bible, or that there is no god at all. [FOLLOWED POSSIBLY BY
	SHOWING FLAWS IN BIBLICAL WRITINGS TO SUBSTANTIATE BELIEF THAT THE
	BIBLE IS NOT TRUE]

4.  Those self-righteous enough to believe that the "word" described in the
	bible is the "truth" and the only way are misguided.  Those who
	would look down upon those who do not are contemptible (despite their
	words about "god loves you anyway though you do not see the truth"
	and "you will see the truth in time").  Those who would impose this
	belief structure on others who do not adhere to it ("for their own
	good and the good of society" usually means "to increase my/our
	power") are dangerous. [THUS THOSE WHO CONDEMN "RELIGIONISTS"
	(autocratic ones) AND DENY THE TRUTHFULNESS OF THEIR HOLY WRITINGS ARE
	CONDEMNING THEIR SELF-RIGHTEOUS AND SELF-CENTERED ACTIONS, AND
	POSSIBLY ARE SAYING THAT THE VERY NATURE OF SUCH SOCIETAL-ORGANIZING
	SYSTEMS LEADS TO CORRUPTED ABSOLUTE POWER.  SUCH A PERSON COULD ALSO
	SAY THAT IF THE HOLY WRITING *ARE* TRUE, THE GOD THEY DEPICT IS NOT
	WORTHY OF WORSHIP, WITHOUT BEING "ILLOGICAL".]
>> ...could you please show me where the illogic is?

Larry fails to address the question directly.  Is this a standard
tactic of autocratic religionists or is Larry an isolated case?

Larry:
> 1. Fascism implies a despot. The Greek word which transliterates to
> "despot" is used several times in the New Testament. So you're not far off.

I guess this shows Larry's true colors.  Finally, in response to my
suggestion "Don't worship anything.", Larry simply says, "Impossible."
He then goes on to describe different modes of what he considers
"non-bootlicking" type worshipping, but he (of course) fails to state
why he thinks not worshipping anything is an impossibility.  Why is it
possible for so many independent thinking human beings?  What is
different about you?  Is it that you realize your lowly position in this
universe (and that, of course, we don't)?  Or because you believe that you have
such a position (or want it)?

It's one thing to offer an opinion, but quite another to misquote people
to make your opinion seem more valid.  I can't help but feel the physical
wall you put up, Larry, every time I post a note to you or read a note
from you.  Defined:  God knows what's best for me, so I will do it, because
it is the only way I can live.  "How do you know God exists, has your best
interests in minds, knows what they are, and/or is willing to communicate
them with you?"  These are all givens.  "Why?"  Because it says so in the
Bible, and because I have experienced it in my life.  "Give me an
example."            After a decade or so of this sort of banter that points
nowhere, when one or more of us ask "Why do believe these things about god and
the bible?"  We get 1) roundabout answers we've heard before 2) requests
for our input that wind up being misquoted and used out of context in your
next article.   What's going on here????
--
Pardon me for breathing, which I never do anyway oh, god, I'm so depressed...
	Rich Rosen    pyuxn!rlr