[net.religion] Creationism and interrupt controllers

chrism@orca.UUCP (03/02/84)

Yosi Hoshen writes:

>...evolution-creation arguments take place between scientists and
>religionists.  Scientists attempting to argue with creationists are
>wasting their time.  They are dealing with individuals and groups
>who live in a different frame of reference.

Yes, except that not all 'religionists' are creationists.  Many
who accept or are interested in religious concepts also have a
profound faith and understanding of science.  I for one am not persuaded
that science and religion live in mutually exclusive frames of
reference.  Don't extrapolate from a rather narrow-minded group
of morons traits not necessarily held by all 'religionists'.

>Creationism is a threat to science.  The threat is not posed by the
>"scientific" arguments of creationists, but to the scientific
>method itself.

Exactly, although this point has not been completely missed by
creationists.  If you look at some of their more intellectual
literature (a contradiction in terms, but let it pass), you'll note
a dual approach to the scientific method.  That is, they are quite
willing to accept the results of the scientific method until it
conflicts with their beliefs.  When this happens their beliefs
automatically supersede scientific results.  An interesting example
of applied doublethink.

>Their ideas, which seem funny and bizarre to many of us, may be
>quite appealing to the vast and less educated segments of our society.

Distressingly enough, these ideas also sometimes appeal to
some of the more educated members of society.  It just goes to show
that education can't always compensate for a basic lack of intelligence.

Now excuse me while I try to get this interrupt controller working.
Hmmm.... here is a passage in Corinthians that might solve the problem...

		Chris Minson