[net.religion] Eating sacrificed meat

david@ssc-vax.UUCP (David Norris) (04/16/84)

[]
Judy:

>In other words, some of what he says is his own opinion and he does not always
> make this clear. One of my favorites is :(paraphrased) Nothing is evil of
> itself. However, if you believe that eating meat is evil - DON'T DO IT.
> I don't have a bible with me, but I believe that was the essence of what he
> said.

(Speaking about Paul) I'd like to elaborate on Judy's words a bit.  A certain
early Christian community was becoming divided over eating meat that had been
sacrificed to idols.  This meat, after being thus "sacrificed", was taken to
the local meat shop where it was sold at a discount, presumably because it was
like the "day-old" rolls you find in bakeries; it had already been "used", so to
speak.  Some of the poorer Christians bought this meat to feed their families,
and other Christians condemned the practice.

Paul stepped in and, as Judy has said, stated that eating the meat was not evil.
Part of his defense was that the idols (to whom the meat was sacrificed) were
false; they meant nothing, so how could such meat be an offense?  But he added
that, if anything causes your brother to stumble, don't do it.

Personally, I don't believe that drinking wine is a sin.  But I have friends
that do; and when I go out to dinner with them, I remember Paul's words and
have a coke.

	-- David Norris        :-)
	-- uw-beaver!ssc-vax!david

smb@ulysses.UUCP (Steven Bellovin) (04/28/84)

	From: david@ssc-vax.UUCP (David Norris)
	Subject: Eating sacrificed meat
	Date: Mon, 16-Apr-84 16:15:03 EST

	Personally, I don't believe that drinking wine is a sin.  But I have friends
	that do; and when I go out to dinner with them, I remember Paul's words and
	have a coke.

		-- David Norris        :-)
		-- uw-beaver!ssc-vax!david

A friend of mine is Bahai, and consequently does not drink alcoholic beverages.
I, on the other hand, don't eat pork.  Last time we had dinner together, she
had spare ribs, and I had a beer with my meal.  Neither of us was offended
or put off, nor did we feel that the other was sinning.  I think the difference
in attitude is worth meditating on.

rjb@akgua.UUCP (R.J. Brown [Bob]) (04/28/84)

The whole point of the apostle Paul's discourse on this
subject was to prefer the other person's conscience or
sensitivty in the areas where he or she may be weak.

The fact that Labelle and friend could share a meal where
each ate or drank something the other wouldn't (on principles)
eat or drink is not relevant because neither was offended.

Paul's context was that He would voluntarily give up his RIGHT
to eat or drink anything that would shake the faith of a baby
Christian brother or sister.

Bob Brown {...clyde!akgua!rjb}
AT&T Technologies, Inc.............. Norcross, Ga
(404) 447-3784 ...  Cornet 583-3784

rjb@akgua.UUCP (R.J. Brown [Bob]) (04/28/84)

Sorry about the incorrect reference to Labelle
in 2211. I got the header of the next article confused with
the trailer on the article I was reading.  Should have said
"Steve and friend..."