[net.religion] Missionaries in Thailand

isbell@marvin.DEC (Chris Isbell ) (05/14/84)

[]
From: ihuxt!martillo

>Thailand has a law which forbids Christian proselytization.  The prime
>minister described Christian proselytization as making Thai citizens dead
>to Thailand and as destroying Thai civilization.  Missionaries often spend
>an unpleasant period in jail before being unceremoniously expelled.

This is news to me. Could you give the source of this information
please.

I have a strong connection with Thailand, and this sounds rather out of
character.

 The King of Thailand has the duty to be "The protector of [all]
religions". The Buddhist monks gave the Christian missionaries use of
their halls when they came to Thailand. (In a similar way, churches in
this country (England) let Buddhists use their halls for meetings.)

The only reason I can think of for the behaviour described above would
be if the "missionaries" were causing disruption to other religions in
the country. Then the government would have a duty to expel the
offenders.

			Chris Isbell.
		(...decvax!decwrl!rhea!marvin!isbell)