[net.religion] Buddhist attitude to other religions

isbell@marvin.DEC (Chris Isbell) (05/21/84)

From: The Ice Floe of Larry Bickford:

>The "problem" I referred to in my previous article on this subject
>centers on the difference between religion and God. Chris's view :
>
>> [Chris Isbell (me):]
>>
>>	"Religion ... [is a] mental construct of humans, over which we
>>	have (at least some) control - such as a choice to follow a
>>	particular religion in preference to another. At the conventional
>>	level, there are many different religions in the world."
>
>presupposes that one religion is essentially as good as another, ...

Sorry, there seems to be a misunderstanding here. My statement was not
intended to be a value judgement on any religion. I was just saying that
there are many religions in the world, and from that deducing that
individuals have at least some choice in which one they follow. The
statement is based on the "reality" of human conventions, and not on the
level of ultimate reality ( God if you prefer), which I would not even
attempt to define.

>But the problem is not a *different view* of God; it is a view of a
>*different God*. ...
>A variety of gods abound; Scripture makes reference to "gods that are no
>gods." The former refers to the position that worshippers place the god
>in; the latter refers to actual godhood. (Isaiah 44:8-19 brings this out.)

I am still not clear on this area. I thought that the Christian view is
that there is only one God. How can a Christian know that the Hindus
(for example) worship a different God? Hindus may express things in a
different way at the conventional level, but at the ultimate level; can
you honestly say they are different?

>I do respect people, and their views ...

We have a point of agreement; let's work from it to try and understand
and be of help to other people.

>What is needed is balance; but what is too often asked is compromise.
>There is a difference.

Is it a question of compromise? I have no desire to convert you into a
Buddhist. What I would like to do is communicate with you (and anyone
else who is interested) in such a way that both parties can better
understand their respective religions. An idea can be helpful even if it
is "wrong" or one you happen not to agree with. We have a series of
conventions, some of which are specific to a particular religion (or
group of religions), and some of which are common to humanity. Let's use
them with skill and wisdom. (It sounds so simple until we actually try
it...)

			Chris Isbell.
		(...decvax!decwrl!rhea!marvin!isbell)