[net.religion] Quitting smoking

boyajian@akov68.DEC (Jerry Boyajian) (06/15/84)

>> From: plunkett@rlgvax.UUCP (Scott Plunkett) Tue Jun 12 09:38:23 1984
>> ...  "Son, if I ever catch
>> you smoking," he said, "I will break both your legs."  To
>> reassure his son that this was not infact an act of mercy, he
>> continued, "..and if that doesn't make you stop, I'll kill you."
>> Son never smoked, never particularly wanted to, after that heart-
>> to-heart.

> Who says health warnings aren't effective in discouraging smoking!
> By golly, those packs ought to say
>
>    WARNING:  The Surgeon General has determined that he will
>    kill your ass if you smoke.  Thank you.
>
> Call this Damned Assured Distruction (DAD).  :-) (if you need help)
> D Gary Grady

This reminds me of the Stephen King short story (in NIGHT SHIFT) called
"Quitters, Inc." in which the company QI *guarantees* that you will stop smoking
through negative reinforcement. When you sign up with them, you are to stop
right off the bat and not start again. If you do, they'll kidnap your spouse and
cut off a finger. If you cheat again, maybe they'll do something to one of your
kids. It was started up, if I remember correctly, by the son of a mob leader
that died of lung cancer. And they have spies everywhere...

				  --- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA