[net.religion] Shoving one's beliefs down others' throats

karl@osu-dbs.UUCP (Karl Kleinpaste) (06/12/84)

----------
>From: rcd@opus.UUCP (Dick Dunn)
>[commenting on Larry Bickford]
>                                                             He didn't
>bother to address that point, because he can't without telling most of you -
>not only atheist but Jew, Muslim, and even most Christians - that he has a
>holy mission to ram his beliefs down your (our) throats.
----------
I have heard this complaint many, many, many times.  "All Christians (at
least all those who evangelize a lot, particularly in a public place)
are doing nothing more than expressing their desire to cram their own
private, personal belief system down others' throats."  Well, it's an
interesting point, but I'd like to address it from another angle.

This article will in all likelihood get me flamed from both sides of the
argument, both from Dick Dunn and Rich Rosen, as well as my Christian friends.
Let's see what happens.

I cd'd to /usr/spool/news/net/religion here on osu-dbs, and I snooped around
in its contents for a while, and I compiled some very interesting statistics.

Here's the basics (headers have been included, even though they're not technic-
ally part of the article):

Total Articles		80
Total Lines		5580
Avg Lines/Article	69.75
Total Words		43824
Avg Words/Article	547.8
Total Bytes		276518
Avg Bytes/Article	3457

(My!  We are a *verbose* bunch!)  All statistics are current as of 12 Jun
1984 at around 10am.  Osu-dbs uses standard 2-week expiration of articles.

Now, there were 13 articles which were neither Christian nor non-Christian.
For example, I excluded the discussion on hermaphrodites (7 articles), since
they represent no clear discussion either way.

The breakout of articles was otherwise like this:
			Non-Christian	Christian
Total Articles		35		32
Total Lines		2597		2517
Avg Lines/Article	74.5		78.6
Total Words		21182		19538
Avg Words/Article	605.5		610.5
Total Bytes		132423		122105
Avg Bytes/Article	3784		3816

All of these statistics are, of course, subject to change as arguments
come and go.  I think it's quite clear that neither group has a parti-
cular monopoly on espousing their views on the net.  The Christians have
a (slight) tendency to add 4 more lines to their articles, occupying an
additional 5 words and 30 bytes (sounds like signature lines to me), while
the non-Christians have posted a few more articles.  Big deal.

So much for the "Christians flame their beliefs down others' throats" argu-
ment; non-Christians do it just as much.
--
Karl Kleinpaste @ Bell Labs, Columbus   614/860-5107    {cbosgd,ihnp4}!cbrma!kk

rlr@pyuxn.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (06/13/84)

> I have heard this complaint many, many, many times.  "All Christians (at
> least all those who evangelize a lot, particularly in a public place)
> are doing nothing more than expressing their desire to cram their own
> private, personal belief system down others' throats."  Well, it's an
> interesting point, but I'd like to address it from another angle.
> [STATISTICS FROM NET.RELIGION FOLLOW]
> (My!  We are a *verbose* bunch!)  All statistics are current as of 12 Jun
> 1984 at around 10am.  Osu-dbs uses standard 2-week expiration of articles.
	:
	:
> So much for the "Christians flame their beliefs down others' throats" argu-
> ment; non-Christians do it just as much.

Rather than spout witticisms about misuse of statistics (such as we've seen
here), let me say how remarkable it is that Karl has used quantity as a yard-
stick rather than content.  Even a cursory examination of the contents of most
articles would show that a very large number of articles (including my own AND
those of many Christians) make use of significant amounts of *inserted* *text*
from other people's articles.  Thus making statements about length of articles
from any group or person is totally irrelevant.  (The fact that quoting from
many articles of the religionist point of view has actually aided enormously
in making my case stronger is actually a good example of why this is so.)

More importantly, taking a good look at content will lend support to Dick
Dunn's claim.  Non-religionist articles either ask for answers to questions
about holes in the thinking of those who believe in a religion (these are
often called "attacks") or serve to counter tirades and/or blatant
proselytizing on the part of religionists by tearing them apart logically.
(The articles, not the people who submitted them :-).   Although we do get
the occasional article from those like labelle or partridge (I don't think
partridge's was in net.religion) that reveal someone fed up with illogic and
unable to sit back and watch what they consider ridiculous sustained as the
status quo (often these are just cathartic tirades themselves), we get many
more clearly manipulative and proselytizing articles from religionists, such
as the noise from Larry Bickford on humanism.  Often we see a religionist step
out into the light and make a pronouncement (people like Ken Arndt and Ray
Jender), who seem to say something broad and seemingly important once and then
fade back, failing to answer any of the resulting questions that arise from
disbelievers.  (leaving that task to Jeff and David, most of the time).  I hope
to review many of the points that have been addressed by responses to such
articles that were left unanswered, and post them to the net for (hopefully)
answers from the religionist camp.

This is not to say that non-religionists don't say things to promote their
point of view (e.g., the publishing of the Humanist Manifesto, which actually
evolved from people like Larry asking for what positive tenets humanism had in
relation to its deriding of religious tenets).  But, again, a look at content
and method shows non-religionists using logic to break down religious belief
into its component fallacious parts, and religionists either consulting the
bible or condemning us all to eternal damnation (or both).  Some have been
more so than others; in fact some others are actually discussing what we have
in common rather than where we differ, and finding out a few things in the
process.
--
This unit humbly and deeply apologizes for having and expressing opinions.
This will not occur again.  (BEEP)		Rich Rosen   pyuxn!rlr

alan@allegra.UUCP (Alan S. Driscoll) (06/13/84)

"Statistics are used by politicians much the way drunks use lampposts:
for support, not illumination."

--

	Alan S. Driscoll
	AT&T Bell Laboratories

ab3@stat-l (Rsk the Wombat) (06/14/84)

	Sorry, Karl, but I don't buy your argument that "The statistics
reflected by current articles in net.religion on my machine reflect the
proselytizing tendencies of Christians and non-Christians". (Note: my
condensation, not Karl's.)

	Happily, most Christians, Jews, Muslims, and other regligious folks seem
to be able to get through most of life without trying to deliver "The Word"
(whatever that is for each sect) to everyone else around them.

	It's the ones who volunteer endless streams of ideology, theosophy,
and so forth to anyone in shouting range that irk those of us who would rather
be left alone; perhaps these few extremely annoying people are the reason we
sometimes over-react when the topic comes up.
--
Rsk the Wombat
UUCP: { allegra, decvax, ihnp4, harpo, teklabs, ucbvax } !pur-ee!rsk

rcd@opus.UUCP (Dick Dunn) (06/19/84)

>>[commenting on Larry Bickford]
>>holy mission to ram his beliefs down your (our) throats.
>----------
>I have heard this complaint many, many, many times.  "All Christians (at
>least all those who evangelize a lot, particularly in a public place)
>are doing nothing more than expressing their desire to cram their own
>private, personal belief system down others' throats."...

From here, Kleinpastes article goes on at considerable length to count
articles, total lines, etc. and divide them between Christian and
non-Christian.  Then he concludes, on the basis of his counting ONLY that
either side seems to be forcing beliefs as much as the other.

Gee, I can see how to spend a lot less time going through net.religion.  I
don't have to read the articles any more; I'll just count them!  What sort
of foolishness is this?  I was talking (>> above) about ONE PARTICULAR
PERSON and his habit of frequently posting moderately abusive items.  I
cited a specific case to illustrate my point.

Length of postings or number of postings has no necessary effect on the
type of views expressed in them.  Isn't that obvious?  I guess not.
--
Dick Dunn	{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd		(303)444-5710 x3086
	...Cerebus for dictator!