[net.religion] Absurdity Continued

rjb@akgua.UUCP (R.J. Brown [Bob]) (07/12/84)

>                                             The secularists
> are unparalleled for absurdity and provide far more material
> for mockery than Ernest Angeley or Jerry Falwell ever have.
> Maybe the seeming timidity of believers has something to do
> with the Christian tradition of *Apologetics*.
>
> Am I the only one who looks at it like this?

!!Oh, no. Ernest and Jerry are right there with you.
!!"The secularists" that gave you so many happy moments do not
!!make their living representing atheism ("secularism") -
!!quite unlike these two gentlemen's relation to Christianity.
!!Also, your explanation of the "timidity" would have greatly
!!amused a number of people - from that Jew who got burned during
!!an auto-da-fe, to that Protestant who got shot by some Catholic.
!!
!!"Talk a lot, so that they have
!! enough things to quote 4000 years from now."
!!                                         -  God, addressing Solomon.
!!
!!                     -------------------
!!                     Mike Musing

Hey Mike,

What do you mean that "Secularists...do not make their living
representing atheism" ??  Isn't that in the eye of the beholder ??

For instance I would classify the following groups and individuals
as Secularists who indeed making their living promoting atheism
if you will permit me to be very literal with the word ATHEIST,
which means "without God" or A Theos in the Greek:

		American Atheist Assn (Ms O'Hair, her kids, and
		probably a few pets)

		American Communist Party

		People for the American Way

		Planned Parenthood

		Most of "Hollywood"

		Most of the Record and Tape Industry

		Playboy Empire

		Organized Crime

		NOW

		Abortionists and their "Pro Choice" Supporters

All these groups and many more conduct their affairs at the very
least as if God doesn't exist.  They are not necessarily shaking
their fist at God say like Ms. O'Hair does but they are largely
atheistic by my definition.

And they definitely promote their point of view that at least God
is irrelevant while they present Hedonism or other vacuous ideals
as the Supreme Good in the Universe.

Just because they don't wear a three piece preachin' suit or a
reverse collar doesn't mean they are not sales reps for their
beliefs.

Bob Brown {...ihnp4!akgua!rjb}
AT&T Technologies, Inc.............. Norcross, Ga
(404) 447-3784 ...  Cornet 583-3784

smb@ulysses.UUCP (Steven Bellovin) (07/13/84)

To Bob Brown...  Would you care to back up your rather outrageous statement
that some of the groups you listed -- NOW, NARAL, People for the American Way,
Planned Parenthood, and a few others -- act as if they deny the existence of
G-d?  I will grant that they don't agree with your conception of G-d, but
neither do Orthodox Jews, Muslims, etc.  To put it more personally, who the hell
are you to tell me what beliefs are compatible with my view of religion?  Many
of the groups you listed have several very prominent clerics on their boards,
incidentally.

		--Steve Bellovin

cher@ihuxi.UUCP (Mike Musing) (07/13/84)

> What do you mean that "Secularists...do not make their living
> representing atheism" ??  Isn't that in the eye of the beholder ??
>
> For instance I would classify the following groups and individuals
> as Secularists who indeed making their living promoting atheism
> if you will permit me to be very literal with the word ATHEIST,
> which means "without God" or A Theos in the Greek:

I did not say that nobody makes their living representing atheism!!!
I did say that the people who amused David so much were not representing
atheism for the living.

Ernest Angeley probably does not look particularly funny when he talks
about politics. It is his preaching and healing that look so pathetic
to some beholders (and so majestic to others). These are the moments
when he acts as God's representative.

As Jesse Jackson would say:
   My words were taken out of context
                           Mike Musing

P.S. Does anyone know if Angeley is wearing a wig?

jho@ihuxn.UUCP (Yosi Hoshen) (07/15/84)

Bob Brown has lumped together a large number of organizations into a
single list of atheists and promoters of atheism:

>		American Atheist Assn (Ms O'Hair, her kids, and
>		probably a few pets)
>
>		American Communist Party
>
>		People for the American Way
>
>		Planned Parenthood
>
>		Most of "Hollywood"
>
>		Most of the Record and Tape Industry
>
>		Playboy Empire
>
>		Organized Crime
>
>		NOW
>
>		Abortionists and their "Pro Choice" Supporters

I cannot resist the temptations to follow Bob's example. I have compiled a
similar list, not for atheists' organizations, but for religionists' groups
and organizations:

	Voodooism

	Islam

	Witchcraft

	Christianity

	Communism

	Jewish Religion

	Hellenic Religion

	Khumeinism

	(and so on)

From a secularist point of view there is very little difference between
the various religions (or some may say superstitions).  As a secularist,
I have a hard time distinguishing between Zeus, Odin or Mr. Brown's god.
I can only view these deities as interesting and amusing creation of the
human imagination. The main difference between the various religions
- from a secularist perspective - is whether the followers of the respective
religions are in the business of imposing their religion on the "non-
believers".

You may be surprised to find communism in both Bob's atheists' list and
my religionists' list.  It is true that communists label themselves as
atheists.  But in reality they are not atheists. Marx and Lenin are their
gods. They worship them as fervently as other religionists worship their
chosen god.  The similarity between communism and other religions does not
end with worshiping. Communists and some fundamentalist religionists
have a lot more in common.  Examples of areas of commonality:

	- Desire for a stricter authority
	- Very little tolerance for ideas and lifestyles that deviate
	  from what they define as the norm.
	- Desire to censor literature and music and other art forms
	  that they feel are out of line.
	- Try to impose their religion/dogma on others.
	- They know what is good for you
	- Attempting to prevent individuals from making personal
	  choices that are out of step with their dogma.
--

Yosi Hoshen
Bell Laboratories

rjb@akgua.UUCP (R.J. Brown [Bob]) (07/16/84)

Steve,

 So What ?!

 If you operate your life or your organization as if
 God doesn't exist ( according to MY observation)
 then you are an atheist according to MY definition.

 I was sharing MY opinion.  If you think it outrageous or stupid
 well of course you are welcome to tell me or when you see my
 sign you can avoid the frustration by judicious use of the "n"
 key.

 Big time clergymen don't cut no ice with me Jim ! (no apology for
 the grammar)

 Remember, all the Biggies were on the other side against Jesus.

"This IS net.religion, you know"

Bob Brown {...ihnp4!akgua!rjb}
AT&T Technologies, Inc.............. Norcross, Ga
(404) 447-3784 ...  Cornet 583-3784

gtaylor@cornell.UUCP (Greg Taylor) (07/17/84)

OOPs...here I find myself trying to qualify Yoshi's posting, while being
in the same side of the fence as Jeff Williams, beliefwise. Let's try it
this way:

Mr. Hoshen was absolutely correct to point out that the good Marxist is
more than a bit like the good Christian in the sense that there *is* a
connection between their way of looking at the Universe and the way they
conduct themselves in that Universe. They *certainly* differ in their
particulars (materialism and dialectic, for one), but they are both
views of the world that attempt to integrate and bring together theory
and action (or praxis and action, to quote one of the theorists). Both
are easily lampooned for it as well, of course. Belief does have a way of
putting one at risk. But if it doesn't change your life....

There's another subtext argument at work here that I'm surprised that
Yoshi didn't jump at (since I've rather faithfully followed his postings
in net.religion.jewish)-to wit:

If Rich's Rosen's formulation about the secular view of "the Myth of
Neutrality" is true ( and I think that it is, for all intents and
putposes, a good one), then the offense given by anyone of strong
convictions lies in the potential that they will either attempt to
"impose" their belief system on others (they would, I suspect, see
themselves as making a world in which they can live in good conscience-
though that is a might overstated), or that they will withdraw and
refuse to "integrate" into a world they see as either aclectic to a
fault or actually hostile.

Does this sort of "few and many" dispute look familiar to you, Yoshi?
Are the *secular Humanists* of the world pretty good at handling the
sons of Israel in *neutral* fashion? I'd be interested to explore the
Jewish formulation of identity in a world which may be hostile to their
aspirations, being, and practice. You're exactly the man to ask, I think.

regards,
gtaylor

If you ask me, I may tell you   gtaylor@cornell
it's been this way for years	Gregory Taylor
I play my red guitar....	Theorynet (Theoryknot)

jho@ihuxn.UUCP (Yosi Hoshen) (07/17/84)

Jeff Williams = }
Yosi Hoshen = <

}Very seldom will I reply to an article in net.religion.  I guess that
}the flames and such are a bit much to take.  However, in this case, there
}were several items in an article by Yosi Hoshen that really angered me.

I am sorry to hear that my article has angered you. That was not my
intention.  My complaints were not against religion, but religious
coercion.  I was not trying to attack your faith.  I was only trying
to describe my attitude towards religions from a perspective of a
secularist.

}First, let me state that my position is a Christian.  I believe that the
}Bible is the inspired Word of God, and as such it true.  That, I guess,
}makes me a fundamentalist.  Next, I believe that unless a person is born
}again with the Spirit, he can not enter into Heaven.  All people are born
}sinful.  As a Christian, I believe that Jesus Christ is my personal
}Savior.  That is as fundamentalist as one can get, I guess.

I don't deny your rights for your beliefs.  I oppose anti-religious
coercion as practiced by the USSR, just as I oppose religious coercion in
other parts of the world.

}Yosi wrote:
}>Communists and some fundamentalist religionists have a lot more in
}>common.  Examples of areas of commonality:
}>
}>	- desire for a stricter authority
}>	- very little tolerance for ideas and lifestyles that deviate
}>	  from what they define as the norm.
}>	- desire to censor literature and music and other art forms
}>	  that they feel are out of line.
}>	- try to impose their religion/dogma on others.
}>	- they know what is good for you
}>	- attempting to prevent individuals from making personal
}>	- choices that are out of step with their dogma.

}Speaking as one who is a fundamentalist Christian, I take a great deal
}of offense at what was written.

Why do you assume that I specifically attacked Christians fundamentalists.
I used the generic term fundamentalists.  The fundamentalist term is
not only reserved for fundamentalist Christians in the US.  The term
is also used to describe the fundamentalist Khumeini Muslims of Iran,
and Ultra-Orthodox Jews in Israel.  Please note that I used the phrase
"some fundamentalist", implying not all. To clarify the issue,
I will restate my position, "I oppose the attempts of *some
religionist fundamentalists* and communists to impose their
religion/dogma on others."  The above examples indicate opposition
to religious coercion, not to religion.

}I hope that I have answered some of the charges leveled at we Bible
}thumping fundamentalists.  Please, don't lump all fundamentalists with
}the worst-case examples of intolerant Christians.

Please note my above remarks.  Note also that I did not initiate
the *lumping* process.  Bob Brown was the first one to lump together
a large number of organizations as atheists or supporter of atheism.
I was trying to point out that a superset of religions could also
be constructed.

------------------------

I shall be spending my next four weeks in Israel (where all these
religious arguments started).  I shall not be able to answer all the
flame, but I'll be back.
--

Yosi Hoshen
Bell Laboratories

smb@ulysses.UUCP (Steven Bellovin) (07/17/84)

	From: rjb@akgua.UUCP (R.J. Brown [Bob])
	Subject: Re: Absurdity Continued
	Date: Mon, 16-Jul-84 07:59:36 EDT

	Steve,

	 So What ?!

	 If you operate your life or your organization as if
	 God doesn't exist ( according to MY observation)
	 then you are an atheist according to MY definition.

	 I was sharing MY opinion.  If you think it outrageous or stupid
	 well of course you are welcome to tell me or when you see my
	 sign you can avoid the frustration by judicious use of the "n"
	 key.

	 Big time clergymen don't cut no ice with me Jim ! (no apology for
	 the grammar)

	 Remember, all the Biggies were on the other side against Jesus.

Can we at least keep our terminology straight?  Someone with a different
perception of the Deity than you may be a heretic, an apostate, or a heathen.
Someone who agrees with your perception but doesn't act it may be a hypocrite,
a sinner, or a practitioner of some form of "civil disobedience" (i.e., doing
something against the rules deliberately, but willing to accept any consequences).
None of the above categories qualify as "atheist" -- one who does not believe
in G-d.  Please note that in my earlier submission, I did not list several
groups you mentioned, because I agree that they espouse atheism -- for example
the Comunist Party.  I'll even agree that the dreaded secular humanists (as
exemplified by the signers of the Humanist Manifesto) are preachers of atheism.
But "atheist" is not a perjorative; it's merely a word with a rather precise
meaning.

So -- call my earlier complaint a semantic quibble.  Maybe it should have been
in net.nlang rather than net.religion.  But if we're going to call each other
names, let's at least agree on what we're calling each other.

cfiaime@ihnp4.UUCP (Jeff Williams) (07/23/84)

Very seldom will I reply to an article in net.religion.  I guess that
the flames and such are a bit much to take.  However, in this case, there
were several items in an article by Yosi Hoshen that really angered me.

First, let me state that my position is a Christian.  I believe that the
Bible is the inspired Word of God, and as such it true.  That, I guess,
makes me a fundamentalist.  Next, I believe that unless a person is born
again with the Spirit, he can not enter into Heaven.  All people are born
sinful.  As a Christian, I believe that Jesus Christ is my personal
Savior.  That is as fundamentalist as one can get, I guess.

So much for the background.  I am stating my beliefs so that the rest of
this article can be seen in the light of my beliefs.  No flames requested,
this is my opinion, which I will share with anyone who honestly wishes
to share with me.

Yosi wrote:
>Communists and some fundamentalist religionists have a lot more in
>common.  Examples of areas of commonality:
>
>	- desire for a stricter authority
>	- very little tolerance for ideas and lifestyles that deviate
>	  from what they define as the norm.
>	- desire to censor literature and music and other art forms
>	  that they feel are out of line.
>	- try to impose their religion/dogma on others.
>	- they know what is good for you
>	- attempting to prevent individuals from making personal
>	- choices that are out of step with their dogma.

Speaking as one who is a fundamentalist Christian, I take a great deal
of offense at what was written.

1.  Our final authority is God, as revealed in the Bible.  Anything
	not specificly prohibited should probably be permitted.  However,
	many items of modern society were not created at the time of
	Christ, so our conscience should be our guide.  When in doubt,
	I ask, "Would Christ do x, y, or z?"  If I truly believe that
	Christ would indeed do x, y, or z, then who am I not to do so?
	I do NOT want the Church, or any person, extending the laws
	as given in the Bible.

2.  I may not understand your lifestyle or ideas, but you are free to
	believe as you wish.  The only part of my lifestyle that I
	would like for you to adopt is my love of Jesus as my Savior.
	If you accept that offer, the rest of your lifestyle will
	conform to God's will for your life.

	This world is made of many cultures.  White, suburban, protestant
	is just one of countless lifestyles that are pleasing to God.
	If you are a black, urban Christian, or a rural Mexican Christian,
	it doesn't matter one bit.

3.  Who am I to censor art?  If you, as a Christian, are offended by
	certain art forms, don't expose yourself to them.  I cannot
	change the overt sexuality of modern music, or the expounding
	of amoral living that some television shows give.  I choose not
	to patronize such art.  Again, the question, "How would I feel
	if Christ were to walk in and see me doing x, y, or z?"  Some
	people are not offended by this art, so I should not impose my
	wishes on them.

4.  I cannot force you to believe what I believe.  I can offer you my
	beliefs, but you are free to reject them.  When I am witnessing
	my faith, I do it with a prayer that God speak through me.
	It is the Holy Spirit that causes a change in people's hearts,
	not the writing of Jeff Williams.

5.  How can I know what is good for you?  If I choose not to drink, smoke,
	or whatever, that is my choice.  If you can honestly say, as a
	Christian, "I am not ashamed of what I am doing," and it is not
	specificly forbidden, then who am I to complain.  (By the way,
	I will serve liquor to friends if they wish.  I even will take
	a glass of wine now and again.  About once a year.)

6.  Are we not free to be sons and daughters of God?  How can I prevent
	you from doing something?  Is what you do prohibited by God?
	Are you harming someone else?  Are you showing love to all of
	those around you?

	Probably the personal choice that I cannot condone is that of
	abortion.  If a woman asks for my opinion before she has an
	abortion, I will try to persuade her not to do so.  However,
	if she confides that she has had an abortion, I will not condemn
	her, because she still is forgiven by God through Christ.  Even
	of the murder of an unborn child.  (I have very strong feelings
	about this, as my wife and I can not have children of our own.)

I hope that I have answered some of the charges leveled at we Bible
thumping fundamentalists.  Please, don't lump all fundamentalists with
the worst-case examples of intolerant Christians.

				Jeff Williams
				AT&T-Bell Laboratories
				ihnp4!cfiaime