[net.religion] Is god a bad example?

nowlin@ihu1e.UUCP (Jerry Nowlin) (06/27/84)

     This is going to net.misc because I want the opinions of  middle  of  the
road  people.   From what I've seen of net.religion it consists of fanatics at
one end of the spectrum or the other.  I'm interested in their replys too, but
I  wonder  how  Mr.  and Ms. average go to church on Sunday morning feel about
these inconsistancies or if they ignore them for their own peace of  mind.   I
realize  that  religion  and  logic  don't  mix.   I  hope  I get some logical

     I just finished perusing net.religion for the first time.  I only gave it
a  whirl  because  I  saw  an article in net.flame that originated here.  I've
avoided this group for a couple of reasons.

     1) I've always found discussions on the technical  aspects  of  religion,
like whether this or that translation from the original latin or greek is more
accurate, to be boring and of no practical use.  I  assumed,  only   partially
correctly,  that  there  would be a lot of that kind of technical gook in this
group.

     2) I tend to start foaming at the mouth, ranting, and raving  soon  after
discussions   turn  to  the  subject  of  religion.  I  have definite opinions
stemming from a strong christian background and a gradual but  complete  "loss
of  faith"  over  the  last  10  or  12 years.  I don't have the time to spend
ranting or raving so I didn't want to read anything that would get me started.

     But, I read and now I would like answers to some questions  I  have,  and
reactions to some of my opinions.

     On the bible: I'm one of the first people to admit that the bible (I mean
the  christian  old  and  new  testaments  by  bible)  is  an  interesting and
informative book in places.  It is also frequently historically accurate.  But
a  book  or  any  other  form of information doesn't have to be non-fiction to
contain some truth.  I'm a big science fiction fan.  Science fiction has  lots
of  truth in it.  In 2000 years when someone uncovers a copy of "2001: A Space
Odyssey" and finds that they  can  correlate  most  of  the  scientific  facts
contained in it with references from other works of the period will they start
looking around for the monolith?  This may be a bad analogy  since  the  bible
comes closer to fantasy than science fiction.

     On miracles: I want to know whether god still works miracles in this  day
and   age.  When  I  was little I used to wonder why god would let children be
born with no legs and things like that.  I asked  my  parents, Sunday   School
teachers,  and   preachers.  The  response I got was always along the lines of
"god has gone back to heaven and doesn't interfere on earth now.  He wants  us
to make our own decisions free from his direct intervention." That sounds like
the greatest cop out I've ever heard.  When a  elder  almost  died  of  cancer
while  I  was  in  high school they held a prayer vigil that went for a couple
days continuously.  When he recovered after the doctors said  he  didn't  have
any  chance  it  was  heralded as a miracle.  When another man died of a heart
attack after a couple days in the hospital and praying didn't do any good they
claimed it was god's will.  What about all the miraculous recoveries of people
who have no one to pray for them?  What make the recoveries of the  ones  that
were   prayed  for  special?  You  can't  have  it  both  ways.  Either god is
performing miracles or he isn't.  If you want to give the  credit  to  god  he
ought  to  have to take the blame too.  I've heard all the arguments about how
satan does the nasty stuff.  I suppose god just stands around acting like  the
3  monkeys  while satan's at it?  What do you think?  That brings  me  to  the
next question.

     On christian responsibility: Christians are constantly exhorted to be  as
much  like  christ  as they can.  God expects us to feed the hungry, cloth the
naked, visit the imprisoned, heal the sick, etc., and generally  behave  in  a
godly manner.  You don't have to be a christian to show respect for others and
feel sympathy for and give assistance to people that need it.  An   individual
can  only  do  so  much though.  God on the other hand by definition should be
able to see all the misery and suffering in the  world, and  has  the   power,
according  to  the  bible, to do something about it.  I see no evidence of god
behaving in a godly or christ like manner.  The excuse I hear most  often  for
this lack of intervention is the one I listed above.  He doesn't work in those
ways anymore.  In other words he is sitting up there in  heaven  on  his  butt
watching  all  this  horror go on down here and it's up to us?  You don't need
examples from my personal experience to become fed up with god's indifference.
The  state  of  the  world  in general should be enough to bring a responsible
person with the ability to do something about it up out of their chair.  Since
god's  still sitting around up there some where and doesn't seem to care about
mankind or this planet in general why should he care about  individuals.   Who
are   christians  supposed  to  model  themselves  after?  A  deity who hasn't
bothered to actively take their side for almost 2000 years?

     On complacency: What really burns me up is the fact that so  many  people
accept things that are less that ideal because "it's god's will." There are so
many people that settle for a less than perfect life  here  on  earth  because
their true reward will be in heaven.  If they would just put forth some effort
they could make life better for themselves and the  rest  of  the  world  now.
Instead  they  wait  around  to  die  and receive their just deserts.  I'm not
talking about getting rich or famous.  If it's god's will that a baby be  born
with  a  cleft  palate that doesn't mean you can't have it fixed with surgery.
If it's god's will that your house burn down your not going to sit  in  it  or
even  just  walk outside and watch.  You'll call the fire department and maybe
try putting it out yourself.  Religion is a safe place to hide from the  harsh
realities   of  the  real  world.  Some  people  hold their bibles in front of
themselves and their children like a shield against the  rest  of  the  world.
These  people  don't contribute to society.  They stifle it's growth and their
own.

     On fear: I can vividly remember back in the hot years of  the  cold  war,
laying  in  bed at night and staring out my window wondering if I'd remembered
to pray to be forgiven for all the things I'd done  wrong  that  day.  I   was
watching  out  the window for the flash of the first bomb, but I was scared of
hell not the bomb.  I didn't stay in line because  of  some  understanding  of
right  or  wrong but because I was scared of hell.  I don't want my kids to go
through that.  I try to teach them right for the  sake  of  right.  I've   sat
through  too  many  sermons  where the preacher didn't even mention the carrot
(heaven).  He just concentrated on waving the stick (hell).  There's enough to
be worried about in this life without carrying that kind of fear around.

     I don't know whether god exists or not.  I do  know  that  if  god  isn't
going  to do anymore for the world than I've seen in the last 30 years I don't
need his help.  If god does exist and I ever get to meet him I expect to spend
more  time chewing him out than thanking him for anything and I have a feeling
he could care less.

Jerry Nowlin
ihnp4!ihu1e!nowlin

keith@seismo.UUCP (Keith Bostic) (06/30/84)

I read with interest the article on God being a bad example.  I'm not
currently supporting any particular religious format, so I suppose I'm
as middle-of-the-road as anyone.

A general comment rather than a specific point-by-point essay.  I guess
what bothers me most about the whole article is the judgemental attitude
toward God.  If God exists, if God is God, I don't think it's reasonable
to say:

> If god does exist and I ever get to meet him I expect to spend
> more  time chewing him out than thanking him for anything

From the Biblical viewpoint, pride isn't too good a deal; also, there are
some fairly specific quotes reflecting that God's "ways" are *not* man's
way and that His way is superior.  From a layman's viewpoint, the ability
to judge God implies that God isn't God.

Quite frankly, *by definition*, if God exists, mankind doesn't know anything.
Saying that you plan to spend your time with God "chewing him out" seems
to be both naive and ridiculous.  Somehow it kind of reminds me of my
childhood; when I got furious with my parents for not doing what *I* wanted
them to do, usually because I just didn't understand/wasn't mature enough
to know what was going on.  Believe or disbelieve in God; that's a reasonable
choice.  In the light of your own morality, evaluate the effect that religion
has or hasn't had on society.  But don't say you have the ability to judge
God.  That just doesn't make any sense at all.
		Countin' the woodchucks on the head of a pin,
		Keith
			ARPA: keith@seismo
			UUCP: seismo!keith

p.s.	To be honest, the *only* Christian experience that really makes
	sense to me (in light of my *own* morality) is an explicit "God
	the Father" one.  If as the Bible claims, God is really there,
	and really cares, well, then, it's just like being three; you
	take your dad's advice blindly -- because you trust it more than
	your own.

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (07/03/84)

Perhaps the problem here is not "God's duty to man" but rather man's
interpretation of God's relationship to himself? Substitute "man" for
"God" in the original posting, and "ants" for "men", for example.
Mankind could do a lot to make life for ants easier, longer, less
stressful, etc. We don't. As a matter of fact, in the areas in which
we interact, we do the opposite. In the areas where we don't interact
(the average ant colony out in the desert or wilderness somewhere), we
are indifferent to their actions or fate.

We like to think that God cares about us and our actions, but, if He
really exists, it seems a lot more likely that His attitude toward
us would be much like ours to the ants. The relationships seem sort
of equivalent on the "Great Chain of Being", to drag in that concept...

Will

brianp@shark.UUCP (Brian Peterson) (07/23/84)

^  From: keith@seismo
^

^  ...; also, there are
^  some fairly specific quotes reflecting that God's "ways" are *not* man's
^  way and that His way is superior.  From a layman's viewpoint, the ability
^  to judge God implies that God isn't God.

So how do we KNOW that his ways are superior?  WHO says?  It can't be humans,
since   >God's "ways" are *not* man's way<   therefore since they are
different, we are purely and simply unable to think about them.
(Why ever do you think that because something is different that you can't
think about it???)  If it is GOD who says his ways are superior, how
do YOU know?  We are unable to judge, since his ways are different.
What if he is lying to us?  You not only would never know (because you
refuse to think), you never would CARE.
 [what if a random person walked up to you and said "live life my way.
 It is superior.  Do not ask me why, because I am infinitely wise and
 powerful, and therefore you can't know.  (by the way, can't God try to
 explain his ways? If he is so smart, he should be a good teacher)
 Would you trust this person? Devote your life to him (her)?
 If not, why not?  What is the difference between this man and whatever it
 is in your religion that let's you trust your religion?????  ]

^  Quite frankly, *by definition*, if God exists, mankind doesn't know anything.

I know my name, how to tie my shoes, what 2+2 equals, etc.  Therefore,
God does not exist.  *by definition*     ;->

^  Saying that you plan to spend your time with God "chewing him out" seems
^  to be both naive and ridiculous.

No, it doesn't.  Some people are put under the impression that God is
supposed to be good and loving, and then the world that they see contradicts
that impression.  Maybe they should be chewing out the earthly religions that
fed them those false impressions, but they are justified in their anger.

^				     Somehow it kind of reminds me of my
^  childhood; when I got furious with my parents for not doing what *I* wanted
^  them to do, usually because I just didn't understand/wasn't mature enough
^  to know what was going on.
^  	If as the Bible claims, God is really there,
^  	and really cares, well, then, it's just like being three; you
^  	take your dad's advice blindly -- because you trust it more than
^  	your own.

Doesn't look like YOU did.  Do kids trust their parents, or not?
I'd say "sometimes".  The key thing, though, is what is the difference
between God and Daddy?  God doesn't physically manifest himself to say
"no, you can't play in the street"  whereas a father will carry his little
kid in off the street (we hope :-).  Is this enough difference?
Why do people trust this "god" notion?

		Brian Peterson	{ucbvax, ihnp4, }  !tektronix!shark!brianp

dsaker@iuvax.UUCP (07/23/84)

[]
Reply to Brian Peterson - Apart from a few minor quibbles about the precise
statement of something, I agree heartily with your article.  RIGHT ON!!

Looking at the suffering in the world -- physical and mental suffering --
I feel a tremendous need for an "explanation" of WHY THIS IS HAPPENING.
(What I mean here is that I want to understand the necessity of this
suffering for an end that fully justifies the suffering.  I can't imagine that
there is such an end, but I am not ruling out its possibility.)
Maybe there is no "explanation".  Maybe the "explanation" is not good enough.
But if there is a god out there, I sure want to hear his "explanation".
I don't just want it; I need it.  My being cries out for it.

Daryel Akerlind
...ihnp4!inuxc!iuvax!dsaker

greggt@ncoast.UUCP (Gregg Thompson) (07/28/84)

	If everyone would post to the
right newsgroups we wouldn't have so
much JUNK on the system. The next time
you post something think about where
you are going to post it.

---------------------------------------
	This flame was not meant to
any one in particular but to all.
	Thank you.
--
Gregg Thompson

{ucbvax}!decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!greggt
{ucbvax}!decvax!cbosgd!aat!m-net!greggt
{ucbvax}!decvax!microsoft!trsvax!sneaky!greggt
{decvax}!ucbvax!dual!proper!greggt
{ucbvax}!decvax!vortex!ihnp4!wlcrjs!greggt