[net.religion] Rich Rosen & Logic.

stuart@gargoyle.UChicago.UUCP (Stuart Kurtz) (06/26/84)

RR:    To show that the internal logic of the faith is coherent is not
       enough.

Godel: If one can show (prove) that any interesting (sufficiently powerful)
       belief system is coherent (consistent), within that system this
       would itself prove that system inconsistant.

SAK:   I take it from the tenor of RR's comment, that he can prove that
       his own belief system is consistent.  This must mean it's either
       inconsistent or uninteresting.  Vote? ;-)

Stuart Kurtz		:	Department of Computer Science
ihnp4!gargoyle!stuart	:	The University of Chicago

alan@allegra.UUCP (Alan S. Driscoll) (06/26/84)

> RR:    To show that the internal logic of the faith is coherent is not
>        enough.

> Godel: If one can show (prove) that any interesting (sufficiently powerful)
>        belief system is coherent (consistent), within that system this
>        would itself prove that system inconsistant.

> SAK:   I take it from the tenor of RR's comment, that he can prove that
>        his own belief system is consistent.  This must mean it's either
>        inconsistent or uninteresting.  Vote? ;-)

I vote for uninteresting.  Rich stopped hearing what anyone else has to
say a long time ago, and that doesn't make for good conversation.

                                 /|\
                                  | [Open-Mindedness]

              [Theism]            |           [Atheism]
             <----------------------------------------->

                                  | [Close-Mindedness]
                                 \|/
              =Larry=                             =Rich=

They're a lot more alike than either of them realizes!
--

	Alan S. Driscoll
	AT&T Bell Laboratories

rlr@pyuxn.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (06/29/84)

> RR:    To show that the internal logic of the faith is coherent is not
>        enough.
> Godel: If one can show (prove) that any interesting (sufficiently powerful)
>        belief system is coherent (consistent), within that system this
>        would itself prove that system inconsistant.
> SAK:   I take it from the tenor of RR's comment, that he can prove that
>        his own belief system is consistent.  This must mean it's either
>        inconsistent or uninteresting.  Vote? ;-)

Who said that reality had to be interesting? :-)

On the other hand, who said reality had to be consistent...

[I expected better from you...  Remember, it's all a joke.]
--
If it doesn't change your life, it's not worth doing.     Rich Rosen  pyuxn!rlr

dsaker@iuvax.UUCP (08/02/84)

[]
The way Godel's Incompleteness Theorems are tossed around makes me sick.
These are technical results; they can't be thrown into the realm of
ordinary philosophical deliberations off-handedly.
Before anyone out there throws them in again, please, PLEASE, GO & READ
A PRECISE STATEMENT OF THEM.

Daryel Akerlind                              "Your ignorance makes me
...ihnp4!inuxc!iuvax!dsaker                      ill and angry ..."

stuart@gargoyle.UChicago.UUCP (Stuart Kurtz) (08/06/84)

Readers of net.religon ... I apologize for that flaw in my personality
that requires me to publically respond to public attacks.

> From: dsaker@iuvax.UUCP
>
> []
> The way Godel's Incompleteness Theorems are tossed around makes me sick.
> These are technical results; they can't be thrown into the realm of
> ordinary philosophical deliberations off-handedly.
> Before anyone out there throws them in again, please, PLEASE, GO & READ
> A PRECISE STATEMENT OF THEM.
>
> Daryel Akerlind                              "Your ignorance makes me
> ...ihnp4!inuxc!iuvax!dsaker                      ill and angry ..."

First, I am quite well acquainted with the precise, formal versions of
Godel's theorems.  My credentials include a PhD in mathematical logic.
It is important to remember that mathematical logic is first and
foremost a mathematical analysis of reasoning.  Therefore, attempts to
transfer technical theorems of mathematical logic to informal arguments
are not *necessarily* flawed a priori.  My use of the incompleteness
theorem was to point out a specific technical flaw in Rich Rosen's
reasoning.  I challenge Mr Akerling *personally*, to point out why my
original application of the 2nd incompleteness theorem was incorrect.
(I did implicitly assume that RR accepts the rules of arithmetic.)

	"Some of us sheep are sheep, and some of us are wolves."