[net.religion] The character of God

ken@qantel.UUCP (Ken Nichols) (09/10/84)

From: Mike Musing

> Some info on my background: I used to have vague religious feelings
> which have been noticed to intensify during critical moments of my life,
> events which I had no control over, exams, etc. Once upon a day I decided
> to get myself a better understanding of my God (read bible). That was the
> end of my vaguely religious feelings! The god's character was so irrational
> (to my taste), unreasonable, vengeful, spiteful, and sadistic(sic) that I
> became deeply disgusted. This creator is a total feeble-minded schizophrenic,
> said I to myself => the book is a joke. There were, of course, other
> considerations which helped me with the conclusion.

Please give specific or semi-specific examples of God's "vengeful, spiteful,
sadistic, feeble-minded, schizophrenic" behavior.  I will be glad to answer
these claims with other scriptures and experience if examples are given.

Do not forget that you are reading the book from a human, scientific, historical
aspect.  It was written from a spiritual aspect.  "God's ways are not our ways."
Please reply by mail and/or the net as I am sure others may be interested in
how such differences in the character of God are obtained by reading the same
book.

"...holding forth the                           Ken Nichols
 word of life..." Phil. 2:16                    ...!ucbvax!dual!qantel!ken
_______