[net.religion] Christianity and Sex

>    David Brunson writes this:

>>If you don't agree that fornication and discipleship are incompatible,
>>then you have been eating too much cabbage.  Period.

>    Actually, St. Paul probably had a different understanding of
>what fornication is.  The latin word "fornix" means arch.  This
>is the etymological root of fornication.  [Etymological treatise
 continues]

>    Of course, through the ages fornication has come to mean an
>act of pre-marital or extra-marital sex.  I submit that when Paul
>spoke out against fornication, he was referring to the temple
>prostitution that was common during the First Century.

One big hole in this argument is that nothing that Paul may have happened
to say in Latin has been recorded.  The original language of the New
Testament is Koine Greek; therefore, etymological arguements based on
Latin are largely irrelevant.  The choice of the word 'fornication' by
MODERN translators (and I include the KJV among the moderns for this
purpose) represents an attempt to convey the intended meaning of the
original Greek words.  Not to be snide, but I'll take the opinions of
the biblical scholars on this one, especially considering their 350+
years of unanimity on this point.

     Charley Wingate          umcp-cs!mangoe

jefff@cadovax.UUCP (Jeff Fields) (09/25/84)

     Thank you Jeff Gillette and Charley Wingate for pointing out  the
irrelevancy  of  the  latin origin of the word fornication and Pauline
doctrine.  I did take a rather extreme leap in logic in  arguing  that
Paul  was  down  only  on  prostitution.   In  future  postings I will
hopefully make less conclusions based on  such  sophomoric  arguments.
Actually, my whole argument was based on a discussion that I had a few
years ago with a Classics major.
     I do however want to make a linguistic and historic  point.   The
original  meaning  of  fornication  was  prostitution.   Page  722  of
_Webster's_  _New_  _Twentieth_  _Century_  _Dictionary_  _of_   _the_
_English_  _Language_  (Second Edition, unabirdged) has this entry for
fornication:

     fornication, n. [LL. fornicatio (-onis), from fornicari,  to
     fornicate,  from  fornix  (-icis),  a vault, a brothel in an
     underground vault]
       1. voluntary sexual intercourse between an unmarried woman
     and  a  man,  especially  an  unmarried man: it is generally
     forbidden by law.
       "Fornication is the act of incontinency in single persons;
       if either party be married it is adultery."
                                        -Wharton
     2. in  the  Bible,  (a)  any  unlawful  sexual  intercourse,
     including  adultery;  (b)  a  forsaking  of the true God and
     worshipping of idols

     Which brings me back to  some  controversial  assertions  I  made
about prostititutes hanging out in early Christian and Jewish temples.
Presently I have no references to back up these claims.  I  will  work
on  it.   Remembering  my  conversation  with  the Classics student, I
recall that the early Christians before the Emperor Constantine had to
worship  secretly  in  underground vaults.  These vaults were used, in
some cases, by prostitutes.
     After Constantine made Christianity the  state  religion  of  the
Roman  Empire,  pagan  temples were converted into Christian churches.
Prostitution had been sanctioned by some pagan  cults  worhsipping  in
the temples later to become churches.  I conjecture that some of these
churches inherited the curse of prostitution.
     In  regards  to  my  assertion  about  Jewish  temples,  I  stand
corrected.   There was indeed one Temple in Jerusalem.  Whether or not
prostitutes frequented the Temple  is  highly  conjectural.   It  does
mention  in  Mark 11:15 that Jesus expelled "those who were buying and
selling there;".  Perhaps some of the people  Jesus  kicked  out  were
prostitutes and there clients.
    In closing, I concede that the Pauline letters condemned  sex  per
se, even in the case of marriage.  Paul believed that he was living in
the "End Times" before the second coming of Christ.  Why  bother  with
sex  as  procreation  when  the  Final  Judgement  is right around the
corner?
                                 Jeff Fields
--
I once was sad that I had no shoes until a met a man that had no feet.

gkm@hou2b.UUCP (G.MCNEES) (09/28/84)

In regard to this statement, I take strong issue!

    In closing, I concede that the Pauline letters condemned  sex  per
se, even in the case of marriage.  Paul believed that he was living in
the "End Times" before the second coming of Christ.  Why  bother  with
sex  as  procreation  when  the  Final  Judgement  is right around the
corner?
                                 Jeff Fields

You have taken one place in Paul's writing where he was concerned
with the inpending destruction of Jeruselem to conclude that Paul
"comdemned sex per se".  If you would read more his writings you
would find quite the contrary.  For example, the leaders in the
churches, ie the Elders(=Pastors, Presbyters,Bishops) and Deacons
both had to be married in order to be such! See I Tim 3 and Titus 1.
He also says the "marriage bed" is undefiled, that the husband's
body belongs to his wife and vice versa. I don't have the time right
now to continue, but Paul definitely was in favor of "sex" in its
proper place: in marriage!

in Him who works all things after the council of HIS own will,

						gary