[net.religion] Misconceptions & Re: Gay Rights

rrizzo@bbncca.ARPA (Ron Rizzo) (09/28/84)

Charley Wingate writes:

> For those who are [Christians], the Bible seems rather clear.  If you
> are a Christian & think you have homosexual feelings/inclinations/
> desires/whatever, abstain from sex.

> I seem to have created the wrong impression with my "if you hand..."
> article.  Some people have gotten the impression that I am utterly
> opposed to homosexuality.

Aren't you "utterly opposed"?  Christ preached that intent to do evil
is as bad as (& maybe more hypocritical & corrupting than) doing it.
Cf. the quote about cutting body parts off that you commented on.
As a Christian, do you not possess this belief?  After all, what can
you do about feelings (aversion therapy? electrodes in the brain?)
or inclinations & desires (neuroscience hasn't identified these yet)?
Or do you mean, you don't oppose homosexual fantasies, or maybe public
cruising, gawking at Playgirl pinups, as long as it doesn't lead to
sex?  But remember what Christ said about "lusting in your heart"!
So aren't you in fact UTTERLY OPPOSED?

> I am in fact in considerable doubt on the subject.

But in the meantime, before you resolve your doubts one way or the other,
your advice ("abstain from sex") is as severe as any offered by homo-
phobic publicists (excepting lunatic fringe crazies like Reagan adviser
Paul Laxalt, who'd like to see homosexuality made a capital crime, or
Rev. Falwell, who suggests concentration camps to contain AIDS; & I'd
wager even Laxalt & Falwell would accede to your advice if they could
be persuaded that gays can be chaste).

> On the other hand, the NT is fairly clear about sexual promiscuity.
> In that regard, my remark about chastity still applies.

If the issue is promiscuity:  chastity is neither the logical opposite
nor the only alternative to promiscuity!  Nonpromiscuity (sexual com-
mitment or fidelity, which can be polygamous/androus) is.  This logical
goof and your linking of homosexuality to promiscuity seems one more
example of how prejudice impairs judgment.

> The NT is by no means clear on the subject [of homosexuality],....

Then how can you give such extreme advice?  Christ's teaching emphasizes
purity of intent, love, fidelity: the character of one's inner life and
relations to others, and not overly scrupulous observance of codes
minutely regulating external conduct.

> I have a number of friends who are homosexuals, and I think that for
> for almost all purposes, there is no reason to discriminate against
> them.

That's commendable on your part.  But presumably you'd offer them the
above advice.  With a friend like you....(1/2 smiley face here)

> I intend to abstain from this discussion in the future.

Sour grapes here?  You should abstain from telling people to abstain
& continue the discussion so you can read my posting in the near fu-
ture about biblical texts (another 1/2 smiley face!).

						Cheers,
						Ron Rizzo