[net.religion] Church Discipline

gulley@stolaf.UUCP (William T. Gulley) (09/16/84)

>     I thought that the Christian concept of God was that of a
>loving, forgiving God.  If this is so, then I see *no* reason why
>Born-Again POSSLQ's, or gays in seminaries should be denied the
>possibility of participation in a church activity or community.  If God
>feels that these people are sinners of the worst kind, then he will
>judge appropriately.  This seems to be a personal matter between each
>individual and his/her God.

The Christian concept of God is precisely that, loving and forgiving
even beyond what we sometimes expect, or want.  And as God and Creator,
He has a pretty good idea on what he built the human model for, and
what not for.  In the Bible, I am told by a person who knew Him
(namely the Apostle Paul) much better than I that homosexuality is
not in the blueprints for the human model. As a Christian, my qualms
with those people are not so much whether they have the right to form
their church or not, but whether they have the right to undermine my
belief system by calling it Christian.

>	As for the wife-beater and the child abuser, there is a
>very simple solution.  The congregation needn't be involved here;
>the police and court systems do an adequate job.

If they're doing such an adequate job, why is wife- and child-beating
still so rampant?  (My answer: They're largely un-policable.)  Their
fellow members in the congregation would know more about the person,
and therefore be more in a position to help, than some anonymous
policeman. (However, I'm sure that there are cases to the contrary, also.)

>	Perhaps, if Christians were more like their God, there wouldn't
>be quite so much persecution and anguish in this world.
>Henry C. Mensch                 | Purdue University Computing Center

I very much agree.  But of the two groups, non-Christian and Christian,
it seems like a safe bet to say that there is a much higher percentage
of those in the Christian camp *trying* to be, than in the other. (But
then, there's where the loving, forgiving God comes in again. .)
-----
The Essential William Gulley  {!inhp4 || !decvax} !stolaf!gulley

seifert@ihuxl.UUCP (D.A. Seifert) (09/18/84)

>   I can also remember when a new family from California moved to  town  and
> their  kids  came  to  the sunday evening service wearing shorts and no shoes.
> After the service their mother was taken aside quietly and  told  not  to  let
> them come back unless they dressed appropriately.

> Jerry Nowlin

*REAL* Churches don't care what you wear to service.  They care
that you are there, and are glad to see you.
--
	_____
       /_____\			"Sink the Lousia?"

hawk@oliven.UUCP (Rick) (09/19/84)

>I can also remember when a new family from California moved to  town  and
>their  kids  came  to  the sunday evening service wearing shorts and no shoes.
>After the service their mother was taken aside quietly and  told  not  to  let
>them come back unless they dressed appropriately.

Mac Davis has a song (I forget the title) in which he, with his long hair and
jeans, is escorted out of the church by the folks in church.  As he's talking
to the Lord afterwards, he asks, "Didn't you have long hair in that picture
above the altar?"

rick

--
[hplabs|zehntel|fortune|ios|tolerant|allegra|tymix]!oliveb!oliven!hawk

In practice the various protestant denominations differ greatly in their
treatment of"sinners".  I know that the Presbyterian church I attended as
a child expelled a number of people (it is now 24 years old); a group of
people who were (sorry, but its the accurate term) heretics, and the
participants in a particularly sordid and public bit of adultery.  As I
understand it, these are the only real grounds for expulsion: heresy or
flagrant and defiant sin.  It is a
policy I feel comfortable with, as it allows for the inevitable waywardness
of people.

On the other hand, the Episcopal Church (and the Anglicans worldwide) show
an incredible amount of tolerance for almost anything.  Well, maybe not
TOO incredible.  There is lots of public dissent on almost any topic you
care to mention; without a LOT of tolerance, the church would just fly apart.
As protestants go, interestingly, the Episcopalians are relatively
schism-free.

Charley Wingate            umcp-cs!mangoe

rjb@akgua.UUCP (R.J. Brown [Bob]) (09/19/84)

Greg and others,

Why don't you look around and find a church that
doesn't care about the wrapping on the package.
They do exist because I've been a member of one
for over four years.

Church is for worship and praise and ministry and
joy and ....etc,etc.

It ain't the Easter Parade.

Bob Brown {...ihnp4!akgua!rjb}

cfiaime@ihnp4.UUCP (Jeff Williams) (09/20/84)

When speaking of church discipline, everyone so far has
talked of "dress codes," and "undesirable people."  In
the congregation where I am an elder (Missouri Synod Lutheran),
you can see dress from coats and ties to blue jeans.  But,
this is not concerning disipline, this concerns tolerence.

Church disipline concerns the unrepentent sinner.  Christ
speaks of this in Matthew 17:15 (NIV) -
	"If your brother sins against you, go and show
	him his fault, just between the two of you.  If
	he listens to you, you have won your brother over.
	But, if he will not listen, take one or two others
	along, so that every matter may be established by
	the testimony of two or three witnesses.  If he
	refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church;
	and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat
	him as you would a pagan or a tax collector.

	I tell you the truth, whatever you bind on earth
	will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose
	on earth will be loosed in heaven."

From this passage, we get both the excommunication process,
and the "Office of the Keys and Confession."  The one problem
in applying this procedure is that of determining the "unrepentent
sinner."  The only criteria that you can use to judge unrepentence
is that of "repeat offenders."  If I am really repentent, and am
truely sorry for sinning, I will do my best not to sin like that
in the future.  If I can be shown to attempt not to repeat the sin,
but "back-slide," I am still repentent.

Several months ago, "Leadership" magazine had an article concerning
the excommunication of a church member because of adultry.  (Actually,
two members of the congregation were involved, and both were treated
according to Matthew 17.)  Church leaders are very reluctent to use
this procedure simply because we can never be SURE of what is in a
person's heart.

				Jeff Williams
				AT&T Bell Laboratories
				ihnp4!cfiaime

karl@osu-dbs.UUCP (Karl Kleinpaste) (09/22/84)

----------
>From: cfiaime@ihnp4.UUCP (Jeff Williams)
>
>When speaking of church discipline, everyone so far has
>talked of "dress codes," and "undesirable people."  In
>the congregation where I am an elder (Missouri Synod Lutheran),
>you can see dress from coats and ties to blue jeans.  But,
>this is not concerning disipline, this concerns tolerence.
>From [Matthew 17], we get both the excommunication process,
>and the "Office of the Keys and Confession."  The one problem
>in applying this procedure is that of determining the "unrepentent
>sinner."  The only criteria that you can use to judge unrepentence
>is that of "repeat offenders."  If I am really repentent, and am
>truely sorry for sinning, I will do my best not to sin like that
>in the future.  If I can be shown to attempt not to repeat the sin,
>but "back-slide," I am still repentent.
>
>Several months ago, "Leadership" magazine had an article concerning
>the excommunication of a church member because of adultry.  (Actually,
>two members of the congregation were involved, and both were treated
>according to Matthew 17.)  Church leaders are very reluctent to use
>this procedure simply because we can never be SURE of what is in a
>person's heart.
---------
Jeff makes a very good point here.  The question of a dress code is a
common problem which churches have, but it is not as important as this.

My fellowship has had to deal with this problem to a certain degree as
well.  It is an extremely difficult question.  The problem is of
paramount importance in the life of a church when a repeatedly-failing
Christian begins to affect negatively other Christians in the church.
One cannot simply stand aside and let the problem continue, dragging
everyone else down with the first person.  When someone does something
which is blatantly against church doctrine, doesn't consider
him/herself to have done anything wrong, and therefore effectively
encourages others to do the same, a church must not let that one
individual destroy the whole church.  Those who question whether or not
we should do this generally point out the tolerance which Christ
taught, but they usually forget that Christ also cleared the temple
with a whip on one occasion.

Without a doubt, such decisions are not made arbitrarily, but sometimes
they are not made at all, to the detriment of the church.
--
Karl Kleinpaste @ Bell Labs, Columbus   614/860-5107    {cbosgd,ihnp4}!cbrma!kk
                @ Ohio State University 614/891-5058        cbosgd!osu-dbs!karl

dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) (09/24/84)

> >   I can also remember when a new family from California moved to  town  and
> > their  kids  came  to  the sunday evening service wearing shorts and no shoes.
> > After the service their mother was taken aside quietly and  told  not  to  let
> > them come back unless they dressed appropriately.
>
> > Jerry Nowlin
>
> [Snoopy]
> *REAL* Churches don't care what you wear to service.  They care
> that you are there, and are glad to see you.

They might care if you wore a t-shirt I saw once.
It said, "Fuck the Church!!"
--
Paul DuBois		{allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois

"Make me to go in the path of thy commandments; for therein
do I delight."
				Psalm 119:35

mat@hou4b.UUCP (Mark Terribile) (09/24/84)

>>   I can also remember when a new family from California moved to  town  and
>> their kids came  to  the sunday evening service wearing shorts and no shoes.
>> After the service their mother was taken aside quietly and  told not to  let
>> them come back unless they dressed appropriately.

>> Jerry Nowlin

>I could never understand (and still don't) where this idea of being dressed
>appropriately for church comes from.  When I go to church, I'm there to
>worship, not look pretty.  How I would *love* to go to church in jeans,
>T-shirt and sneakers (but I don't because like the kids above, I'd probably
>get "quietly taken aside").

Hmm.  The tolerance of churches?  Try dropping by a Catholic church for Sunday
or Saturday evening Mass.  You'll see lots of folks who aren't well dressed.
The folks who go to early Masses tend to be more formal about it, because they
are visibly making the Mass the center of their day.

Why dress?  Well, for one thing it is a token of respect and dignity.  If
you were told that you had an interview with Christ Jesus, how would you
prepare?  You probably wouldn't try to impress Him with your clothing, but
you would wear clothing that indicated your respect for Him, wouldn't you?

Well, what is attending a worship service about?
--

	from Mole End			Mark Terribile
		(scrape .. dig )	hou4b!mat

ag5@pucc-i (Henry C. Mensch) (09/25/84)

<<abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz ... ran out of creative things to put here>>
\

	What to say. . . I really don't think that God (whomever he/she
might be) is worrying a hell of a lot about what we wear to that building
to be preached at for an hour or so.  I would hope that billions of more
important things matter more.

	But then, I'm probably wrong, huh?

Henry C. Mensch                 | Purdue University Computing Center
{decvax|ucbvax|sequent|icalqa|inuxc|uiucdcs|ihnp4}!pur-ee!pucc-i!ag5
        "Ignorance is bliss, but its revelation is not."

jnelson@trwrba.UUCP (John T. Nelson) (09/28/84)

Subject: Re: Church Discipline

	Why dress?  Well, for one thing it is a token of respect and
	dignity.  If you were told that you had an interview with
	Christ Jesus, how would you prepare?  You probably wouldn't try
	to impress Him with your clothing, but you would wear clothing
	that indicated your respect for Him, wouldn't you?

I would then wear clothing that had meaning to me and him.  If that
means a certain T-shirt or special pair of ceremonial jeans well than
fine.  I doubt he wants us to conform to what OTHER people think
is a good way to dress.  Indications of respect are personal and
not to be flaunted before others as the tax collectors do.

					- John

nlt@duke.UUCP (N. L. Tinkham) (09/28/84)

Mark Terribile, on "dressing up" for church:

> Why dress?  Well, for one thing it is a token of respect and dignity.  If
> you were told that you had an interview with Christ Jesus, how would you
> prepare?  You probably wouldn't try to impress Him with your clothing, but
> you would wear clothing that indicated your respect for Him, wouldn't you?
>
> Well, what is attending a worship service about?

   Would I dress up for an interview with Christ Jesus?  I wonder...
There's a certain logic to it:  I would dress up to meet the President,
or the Prince of Wales, or the Pope, and Christ is certainly more important
-- higher in status, if you wish -- than these dignitaries.
   Yet -- it is different, different because Christ is not only "above" but
also "within" us, different because of the intimacy of what we do in worship.
Yes, we approach in awe and reverence, but we approach also the one who
knows us better than we know ourselves, as the saying goes; we approach
the one before whom all pretence is useless.  I suspect that, except for
the sake of ceremony, style of dress is rather irrelevant in worship.
   How do we dress for private prayer?  Isn't that "an interview with
Christ Jesus", after a fashion?  It never occurs to me that I ought
to dress up to pray.  I generally wear whatever I already happen to have on.
   Unless, of course, someone else is watching me. And I am watching them.

                                        N. L. Tinkham
                                        duke!nlt