[net.religion] Hebrew, Aramaic or Greek

yiri@ucf-cs.UUCP (Yirmiyahu BenDavid) (10/12/84)

Respnse to: Charley Wingate
Subject: Re: Yiri's Last Stand

>First of all, scholars have recently come to the conclusion that NT
>contains Jewish ideas couched in Greek.  I will certainly agree that it
>is important to understand something of first century Judaism to
>understand certain aspects of the NT text.

I find the phrase 'contains Jewish ideas couched in Greek' quite
ambiguous. If you are only stating that the ideas in the Greek mss. are
Jewish ideas, then you are clearly correct but have stated only the
trivial. If you mean by this that they were Jewish ideas which suffered
along the way from redaction by Greek editors, you are again clearly
correct but have restated only what has been said before. If you mean
that 'scholars have recently come to the conclusion that NT contains
Jewish ideas' which the authors originally wrote in Greek, then you may
still be correct because you were careful - 'some' scholars indeed have
and perhaps even recently. However, there are also renowned scholars who
hold to the opposite conclusion as well - that there were underlying
Hebrew texts and that the N'tzarim writings were originally written in
either Aramaic or Hebrew (some of these scholars seem to think Aramaic,
and others think Hebrew - I tend toward Hebrew).

> On the other hand, there is no evidence for a Hebrew text for any gospel,
>and the textual evidence we have strongly implies the original texts were
>in Greek.  Almost all OT/Tenakh quotations are from the Septuagint, which is
>in Greek; it would be hard to explain this if the original were in anything
>but Greek.  C. S. Lewis, by the way, was a classicist, and I suspect that
>he knew more about this than either you or I know.

There is quite a bit of evidence for Hebrew texts. Those who are unaware
of it are simply that - unaware of it. There is quite a bit of evidence,
and it continues to mount as archaeologists issue their reports, that
Greek was used very little by Jews of that period in Israel and that
both Aramaic and Hebrew were without question the lingua franca of
Israel at that time. It was held by Jews that teaching a child Greek was
worse than eating swine. Only a few intellectuals had a command of Greek
(such as Josephus) so that it merited special comment when a Jew knew
Greek. As for the quotes in the N'tzarim writings, they are NOT
necessarily taken from the LXX (Septuagint). The Dead Sea Scrolls
(nearly a 1000 years older than the earliest extant copies of either the
LXX or the Masoretic) have shown instances where the DSS agrees with the
LXX in contrast to the Masoretic and other instances where the DSS
agrees with the Masoretic in contrast to the LXX. Scholars are beginning
to suspect (as do I) that they are both the product of an earlier
'version' which from which each derived. If such were the case, then
these quotes could just as well be from the earlier Hebrew version. When
translating them to Greek it would have been an obvious thing to use LXX
Greek in such cases rather than translate 'new' greek versions -
something which a Jew would have found very distasteful. Further, the
later Christian redactors may also have included some/many of the LXX
passages among their thousands of redactions which I have already
pointed out, substituting the LXX in place of the Masoretic, in order to
bring their 'scriptures' closer to the 'true' 'Christian' doctrines.
That no Hebrew and/or Aramaic texts have been found is not really all
that surprising. All of the N'tzarim writings fell into the hands of the
gentile followers and passed into the hands of the Christian redactors.
It was these same Christians that set out to (and very nearly did) burn
all of the Jewish scriptures. Nearly all of the Torah scrolls were
burned as well - and they were not really threatening to Christianity at
that early a time. That the Hebrew/Aramaic mss would have been either
hidden or destroyed should be expected by those who have studied the
period in any depth. For those who might like to read on the DSS, there
is a book by Allegro and another by Yadin which are easy to read and
pretty informative. There have also been article(s) in the Biblical
Archaeology Review. While only a few apostate intellectual Israeli Jews
spoke Greek, the N'tzarim writings were written by synagogue going,
non-intellectual Israeli Jews who almost exclusively spoke ONLY Aramaic
(day-to-day) and Hebrew (in religious matters). The greek grammar is SO
pathetic in a couple of the books that one would think it was written by
either a 3-year-old or one who was translating into a language they were
not at all very good in. The allusions and metaphors, etc. strictly
dictate Hebrew/Aramaic originals. Even in the Jewish communities of the
Diaspora among the ethnos (peoples), the Jews spoke Aramaic for the most
part among themselves, and Hebrew (nearly always) in synagogues. Greek
was mostly for dealings with the gentiles, and then only in the Diaspora
in large measure, being loathed in Israel by the Jews. The biographical
books were almost certainly written originally in Aramaic/Hebrew. Since
Shaul knew Greek, there is at least a better argument for his works
being originally in Greek. For the reasons above (mostly - I haven't
time nor inclination to present a complete treatise), even Shaul's works
were probably originally written in Aramaic/Hebrew. Additionally, what
has been learned from the Pseudipigrapha and Apocrypha show similar
problems and most of them are also believed to have underlying Hebrew
originals. The scholars are careful to outline their analysis and
reasons in the book by Charlesworth. This same analysis may be applied
to the N'tzarim writings with similar results. Prior to 100 CE, these
were as much 'canon' as any other writings.

>Brunson's argument is essentially that the church ought not to look to
>any heritage other than this lost Hebrew one.  I for one am unwilling
>to throw away two thousand years of christian thought, if only because
>I think it is valuable to examine other people's mistakes.  (and not
>incidentally, to instill a little humility into my theology)

>Charley Wingate

I agree with you here Charley. Based on my previous articles, I don't
feel the church HAS any LEGITIMATE Jewish/Hebrew heritage. One of
the points I have tried hardest to show is that EVERY Christian is faced
with the alternative you have just stated, and should face it and
recognize what it is that they are following. If they want to follow a
Jewish heritage they will have to forsake Christianity and turn to
Judaism. If they want Christianity they they can follow that. But they
are indeed distinct and very different - even with respect to Y'shua vs
Jesus. Ergo, they should not follow Christianity and THINK they are
following a legitimate offshoot from Judaism or that they have
legitimate origins in Judaism. Of particular consequence are some who
were born Jewish and have been deceived into believing that Jesus and
Christianity are legitimately Jewish and they can, as a result, convert
and remain Jewish as well. Such is not the case any more than a
Christian child who grows up and is baptized and then later converts
to Buddhaism is still a Christian. Believe it or not Charley, I agree
with you. Let everyone call a Christian a Christian and a Jew a Jew,
know the difference(s), not confuse them - and be tolerant and get along
anyway! (It's the knowing of the differences and the not confusing them
I've been trying to deal with).